Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22LR Boltgun recomendations

22LR Boltgun recomendations

I am looking to get a good 22LR boltgun.
    I like the new CZ527, but I am unsure if they are as good as the older models 452 and 453
    Does anyone know what the differences are?
    Should I buy the new one or look for an older one?
    Are there better boltguns out there for similar price, like around $500 ?

Boolit Master
    I really like my ruger American, they cost under 300 for the Tupperware version. I am not sure what the wood stock model cost but I am guessing around 350. I cant help on the cz as I have never shot one. Good luck on your purchase.

Boolit Buddy
    I've recently got Ruger precision in 22LR and love it. Cost me $375 out the door.

Boolit Master
    Let's start with this....the CZ527 isn't a rimfire. It's a centerfire bolt action. The newest CZ rimfire is the CZ 457. It "replaces" the CZ455, which replaced the 452. The new CZ is pretty close to the 455, which has interchangeable barrels in .22lr, .22mag, and 17HMR. I don't have the 457, but I do have the 455. That gun is at least 90% as good as my Anschutz, which costs three times as much. The difference is really in the triggers. The CZ trigger is easily improved upon with a YoDave trigger kit for eighteen bucks or a drop in Timney for just under a hundred bucks (that's what I chose). My CZ 455, which are still around out there new, will shoot very tiny groups with all three barrels, and switching barrels is about a five minute job. The gun has a very nice walnut stock and pretty decent bluing. Here's a pic of a group I shot with it in 17HMR. It shoots .22lr equally as well. This group was fired at 75 yards. Fifty yard groups with the .22lr are typically five shots under half inch. This orange dot is 7/8" to put it in perspective.
    Attachment 240968

Moderator Emeritus

What NSB wrote is 100% right on. I have two CZ Model 452 Varmint w/ Weaver 3-9x Classic Rim-fire scopes, and the 1st one was so many heads and shoulders over anything else is what prompted my acquisition of the second. I do not know if you're interest is in similar model as I have, but note mine have real wood furniture; recently I saw one in big-box sporting goods store with plastic stock. (I don't know if this was a used, or new firearm -- stock looked similar to those on Ruger Americans. ???) I would suggest perhaps furniture may be only difference?
    Why not check out their web-site -- https://cz-usa.com/product-category/rifles/ -- and you can see.
    BEST!
    geo

Boolit Master

The Tika T1x gets good reviews on rimfire central. It sells for around $500.

Boolit Master
    I have run through two 453's - the single set trigger version of the 452. Sold one, kept the other.

They are probably the most ammo-picky 22's I have ever owned. Mine shoot itty bitty teeny groups with ammo they like.... But they are horrible pigs with ammo they don't like. Lucky for me - the ammo they like is made by Eley and starts around $7/50.

One game I love with the CZ is sticking cheap bulk pack 22 cartridges into holes in targets and shooting them at 25-50 yards. The CZ will do it - and they go "Pop" when you hit them. Coke bottle caps at 100 yards are doable so long as you do your part.

BUT.... shoot cheap bulk pack or ammo it didn't like and it was a completely different situation. 2" at 25 yards or worse

That's where a Savage, Marlin, or an old Winchester or Mossberg bolt action stands out. They generally do well enough with cheap ammo though perhaps they don't have the awesome gilt-edged accuracy of the CZ with it's favorite ammo.

Guess which ones get carried out to the range more? Right - not the CZ... My old Savage Stevens and Winchester 67 and 69 will reliably bust shotgun hulls at 25 yards where the CZ will throw stuff it doesn't like out left or right... That means I can go burn up random ammo out of the stash on 25 yard shotgun shell hulls or swinger targets without even adjusting the sights....

For example - I shot 10 different flavors of 22 ammo today at the range (burning up partial boxes) with the same settings on the sights. Velocitors, Federal Auto Match, CMP SV, Aquila Super Extra, CCI quiets, CCI SV, Winchester suppressor, FGM and FGM target.. Try that in the CZ....

So pick your poison. If you don't already have a bolt action 22 - try out a new Marlin X series. They shoot well and don't cost much. Or pick up an older used Mossberg, Winchester, Savage, or Marlin... They generally all shoot pretty well so long as they haven't been abused and you can usually pick them up for under 1/3 the cost of the CZ....

Boolit Master
    All .22lr firearms are "ammo picky". I've been shooting them in competition for forty years. I shot silhouette and three gun extensively for years and I owned many target and field guns during that time. From 1990 through 2003 I shot over 300,000 rounds of rimfire ammo. I know that for a fact, since I shot seven cases a year during that time. It doesn't matter what brand of gun you shoot, they all have a particular preference for ammo. A rifle chamber is a rifle chamber...period. Cheap guns can shoot well, but the better ones always shoot better. A CZ is not an expensive gun by any means when you consider what you get for your money. If you want something that just goes bang every time and your expectations are minimum to moderate, get a cheap gun and shoot cheap ammo. If you like shooting tight groups, get a better gun with a better trigger and use a decent standard velocity ammo. Not knocking other guns, but there's a reason why Anschutz, CZ, and a few others are popular. The CZ is a bargain at the price they sell for. Again, they're about 40-50% of the cost of the cheapest Anschutz and shoot about 95% as accurately. Yeah, pick your poison.

Boolit Master
    I have a Savage B22FVSR that is pretty good til it gets a dirty chamber. Then it sticks cases a little. Other than that, it is a pretty accurate little rifle for $300 plus optics. However, I will echo the above. My CZ455 is lights out all day with CCI SV bought at Walmart for $30 a brick. Get some Wolf Match Rifle or SK ammo and it is nuts. I paid $420 for mine 4 years ago. Put a Mueller scope on it, some say they are cheap. I would say inexpensive and it has performed above its price point. The CZ is also very finely finished in wood and blue. Next to my CZ Redhead Deluxe, it is the purtiest gun in my safe.

I have a CZ 452 and a CZ 455 American. Both are superbly accurate with match ammunition and very good with standard velocity from just about anybody. I am talking dime sized groups at 50 yards.
    That's as good as it gets for me.
    I managed to get my hands on a Kimber 82G which does about the same.
    I have never shot any of the older, bolt action target rifles so I can't answer for those. I have heard many good things about their accuracy.

Boolit Master
    I went digging around in my collection of pics and found this. I'm not saying my CZ455 will do this all the time, but it does it often enough to keep me liking the gun. I shot this down at my camp off my deck (I have a bench on the deck). I shot this group with the gun before I added the Timney trigger. It was a totally stock gun that I paid just a little over four hundred bucks for. The ammo was bought on sale at Cabela's for about four bucks a box at the time. Even my Anschutz doesn't do any better than this. The group is basically one-eigth inch c-c
    Attachment 241009

Boolit Master

I am very happy with my CZ 455 varmint in 22LR. Paid about $400. Excellent wood and blueing. Old school. With CMP Eley ammo shoots under .5 at fifty yards more times than not.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Buddy
    I've gotten to use a CZ 455 and it was a really slick action. Trigger was nice. I agree with NSB, it's at least 80% of an aunschutz for much less. The one I used had a full mannilicher stock, I don't know if there's a difference in trigger quality depending on which model you get. I heard somewhere that there's a difference between the 457 and the 455 as far as feeding goes (controlled feed in 455 vs push feed in 457). That's its own debate I'm just mentioning it, not taking a side.

As far as value for the money, I'd be hardpressed to pick a better bolt .22lr
    I don't think you can pick a better one for the price point. Although Tikka T1x MTR is at that price point. Might be worth comparing. I try to buy guns I've gotten to shoot, or at least handle, fit is a big factor to me. If I was going to buy one now, I'd get a CZ 455
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

Boolit Master
    Define "good". Looks good, shoots accurate (needs your expectation here), trigger, wood, synthetic. These parameters are different per the shooter. Never had a CZ that wasn't accurate enough for my needs(mostly hunting), and they look good(to me). All my 22lr are accurate enough, as long as I keep my expectations in check. No BR competition guns in my stable, but some very accurate specimens. Don't overlook the T-bolt! I have two that are very accurate and have very good hunting weight triggers. I have two tuned 10/22s that will out shoot many bolt actions as well. My go to squirrel gun is a synthetic stocked T-Bolt suppressed, that ONLY gets feed ELEY SS HP.
    You won't go wrong with the CZ though.

Old Remington 581, if in good shape.

Boolit Master
    I got a CZ452 in -95 and liked it so much that I got another soon after.

I shoot moving boar target with one that I shortened and suppressed. The other one has a mildot Leupold on it, I'm known to shoot clays @200 meters with it.

I did a "poor man's trigger job" to both. Just smooth them up a bit.

I still have both and that says something because I trade unused guns very easily.

Boolit Master

There is a bunch of what I’d consider “nice” LR Rimfires today! I agree CZ & the new RF is on that list! Savage makes a very nice walnut 93. Brown8ng still has the toggle bolt. Prices are gonna be north of 500, but so will that new CZ.

Ruger American & Savage plastic stocks, aren't as refined, but will shoot side by side with anything.

Then down the road pick up a Boyds stock to pretty it up!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    CZ rifles are wonderful, I have a 547 but no rim fire CZs. If you are up for a search, the Winchester repro 52D Sporter is a VERY refined and accurate 22. They are heavy in the action but have fine triggers and generally nice wood. Mine is a 3/8 inch shooter for 5 @ 50. Note , I hate shooting benches groups and it wears a 6x Burris. The rifle likes CCI subsonic hollow points, haven’t bothered to try anything else! Finding one for 500$ may be iffy, but there is the pleasure of the quest to consider
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

my vote for a cz 452, you will never regret

Boolit Master

Cz’s shine, especially the fullstocks.

The t1x from Tikka was on my buy list but they took forever to bring it to market. I haven’t physically held one but from looking at them it might be a bit too heavy for what I want.

T/C had a “10/22 improved” that looked interesting but not a bolt.

For the price the Savages are quite good. They shoot beyond their price.

The older 77/22s are great rifles if you get a shooter. They always need their triggers de lawyered.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast