Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Odd and specific questions re:Smith and Wesson 500 reloading

Odd and specific questions re:Smith and Wesson 500 reloading

1) Is there anyone here who loads for 500 Magnum?
    2) Do you use the Berry's 350 gr plated bullet?
    3) Do you use cast boolits with gas checks?

Is there anyone here who checks all three of these boxes?

Boolit Master
    Yes, I have a 500 4" that I have loaded for for about 15 years...

Yes, I use the Berry's plated 350 as I have settled on 350s for all my 500 shooting. Also use the Sierra, Hornady and Speer bullets.
    18.0 grains of Unique with the Berry's gets 1030 fps and a fun load to shoot.

20 grains with the jacketed bullets gets 1250 fps

43 grains of H110 gets 1265 from the 4" (3" really and a 1" comp) but 1800 from a 20" TC Encore. A waste of H110 from a 4" and now only use in the carbine... Works great in a 8 3/8" however...

Cast bollits...only use the NOE 350 with no gas check. None needed....

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...00u9anbousd142

Berry's bullet with Unique:
    15/926
    16/928
    17/966
    18/1030
    19/1070

One thing about the Berry's bullet...the crimping groove is really in the wrong place...it should be much higher on the shank like the other jacketed bullets are. If you deep seat the bullet to just short of the shoulder there is less air space in the case and better velocity probably because of better bullet pull... I sent a dummy round to Lee and they made up a Factory Crimp Die so I can put a crimp anywhere on the bullet... I spoke with the owner of Berry's at the SHOT Show the year after that bullet came out about my tests with the seating depths. That is why 19.0 grains of Unique is only running 1070 with the Berry's and 20 grains is running over 1200 with the other jacketed bullets. If I deep seat the Berry's the velocity goes up... He never moved the groove...
    Last edited by RJM52; 05-02-2019 at 10:58 AM.

OK, now here's the fun part - I was asking those questions for a very specific purpose, ulterior motive, if you will...

I don't own a 500 Magnum. However, in a wild, incredible spontaneous act of generosity on Monday, I was gifted a portion of an estate reloading gear/supplies. Included in this mountain of stuff, (not really a joke, many boxes filled the back of the People Mover when I left there, and much has already been given away), were three boxes that obviously go together.
    One opened box of Hornaday 50 caliber gas checks. Looks pretty full.

Two boxes of Berrys 350 gr .50 caliber bullets, one opened and has about 48 or so in it, and the other is a 500 box that I opened just to make sure there were the right bullets in there.

These things are taking up too much room in my computer/reloading room. If you would like them, please give me a shipping address and you can have them. Stubbed my toe on that box this morning...gotta get it out of here, I tell ya.

Boolit Buddy
    Oh yeah that cannelure looks way too far down the bullet. I wonder what their intention was?

Boolit Master
    I don't have a .500 but do make boolits for folks that are 500gr. WFN GC and 700gr. LFN GC both molds from LBT.

Sir I would be honored to pay for the shipping for this giveaway!

Boolit Master
    PM sent...

Incidentally, I am aware of how much those bullets cost new from Berry's. I am doing this because they came free to me as part of a much larger freebie, and I can't use them, so it's only far the Karma gets passed along. RJM52, I'll get those out to you as soon as I am able.