Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blackhawk Holster I made.

Boolit Master
    My home brew holsters won’t fool any one into thinking they were done by a pro leather worker but are functional and get used.
    I like the third belt slot for hunting , cross draw at about 10 o clock I can wear a long coat and keep the gun out of the weather and still access with the top half of coat unfastened .
    Here are 2 for 4.2” sp101 and 1 for single six and seven.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	277CD7C4-74C8-4F4E-B18A-B45BA449A490.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	240946

Those look pretty good onelight. I didn't think about 3 slots for mine, mostly I was thinking about concealment. I carry a 1911 in the same style holster, so I'm thinking on the days I don't have to go to doctors visits and the like, I can conceal the SBH good enough if I go to town. And it'll be out of the way around the farm.

What is the thickness of the leather you use to make it ?
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    The leather mine are made from is 1/8 to 3/16 thick.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Those look pretty good onelight. I didn't think about 3 slots for mine, mostly I was thinking about concealment. I carry a 1911 in the same style holster, so I'm thinking on the days I don't have to go to doctors visits and the like, I can conceal the SBH good enough if I go to town. And it'll be out of the way around the farm.
    Yours is a nice trim design I like it.
    I patterned mine from a 40 year old Roy Baker pancake holster I have for a 61/2” mod 29.

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    The leather mine are made from is 1/8 to 3/16 thick.
    Thank you for letting me know.

Mine is 3/16+ thick. I forget the ounces that equates to. I dont normally like that thick of leather, but thats what I had left over from my buddies holster. I patterned mine loosely off the galco combat master for 1911 I was using at the time.

Banned
    I'm jealous I need to make /buy a good BH holster

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    A word about leather. Leather is sold ostensibly by the weight of the leather per square foot, and because of the variance in the hides and their preparation, it is usually expressed as a range, 6-7 oz, for example. Economy grade leather will usually vary a bit more, like 5-8 or 7-9 oz, but for our purpose, that is about as relevant as the price of eggs in Alaska. A one foot square ounce of leather is approximately 1/64 of an inch thick, so most leather, while graded by weight is actually sold by thickness. This means little outside of a game of "trivial Pursuit" except that when you are making a holster, you will want to make the appropriate choice for the gun you are making the holster for.

Here's a suggested guide for selecting leather weight for a project.
    Gun weight Leather Weight
    0-20 oz. 5-6 oz
    20-30 oz. 6-7 oz
    30-40 oz. 7-8 oz.
    40+ oz 8-9 oz.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    A word about leather. Leather is sold ostensibly by the weight of the leather per square foot, and because of the variance in the hides and their preparation, it is usually expressed as a range, 6-7 oz, for example. Economy grade leather will usually vary a bit more, like 5-8 or 7-9 oz, but for our purpose, that is about as relevant as the price of eggs in Alaska. A one foot square ounce of leather is approximately 1/64 of an inch thick, so most leather, while graded by weight is actually sold by thickness. This means little outside of a game of "trivial Pursuit" except that when you are making a holster, you will want to make the appropriate choice for the gun you are making the holster for.

Here's a suggested guide for selecting leather weight for a project.
    Gun weight Leather Weight
    0-20 oz. 5-6 oz
    20-30 oz. 6-7 oz
    30-40 oz. 7-8 oz.
    40+ oz 8-9 oz.
    Yes I understand that from my research,but have a hard time to understand how to come up the thickness in inches . What the oz is equal to ,

Boolit Master
    8oz = about 1/8”

For carrying a 6.5" Blackhawk on the tractor and in the Mule and pickup I have a Hunter field holster that is modified to take the muzzle forward. The belt loops go right above my right leg. I have a Bianchi likewise for the Single Six 5.5". Kind of a cross draw but not really.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Looks good! Only tip I have is to use a brad nail sharpened, instead of a drill bit for your holes! I have had alot better luck with that trick once I learned it than when i drilled mine to hand sew. I just chuck up a nail in my drill and use that after I space my holes and it doesnt leave marks or chew up the leather because it's just poking a hole not actually removing material. Really helps when you have a skinny welt in a trim knife sheath, keeps the bit from walking or pulling off to one side way better than a drillbit!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Thanks for the tip cowboy! That will be handy to remember.

Boolit Master
    Of course the real answer is to get a sewing machine haha! I'm getting tired of hand stitching lately especially with doing a few belts now. That's probably the majority of my time leather working, even more than tooling! Brother in law has a better setup shop than me with a machine but I dont get up there often enough. That's whatd help me out the most!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

It does take a while hand stitching. I just like piddling with it, making stuff for myself and occasionally friends. I never got into tooling.

I inquired several places about the cost of a pancake holster for a blackhawk and it was 100.00+. I'm going to make a few more pancakes and get the details worked out. Need one for the wife's 686.

Boolit Man
    Looks really nice!

Boolit Man
    What kind and weight thread did you use for the stitching?

Quote Originally Posted by Onebad06vtx View Post
    Looks really nice!
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebad06vtx View Post
    What kind and weight thread did you use for the stitching?
    I used waxed synthetic sinew from hobby lobby and separated a strand in half. I don't have the package for more details.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EC2C1687-5133-456C-B129-484BA6367086.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	241680Blackhawk holsters

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast