Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: 32 Caliber "Cookie Cutter"

32 Caliber "Cookie Cutter"

I wanted to explore an idea for a mold. I've had fun with the 73 grain wadcutter in 38 Special, so I want to have similar fun with my 32 H&R. Only this time, I want to take it to the extreme. In profile, I imagine a boolit that would look like an Oreo cookie. (Except this one could be made in the USA)

Instead of a "tuna can from hell", with square lube grooves, I see a single lube groove with a rounded band above, and below. That's it! (Well... Maybe a button on one side) The boolit would basically resemble the banded portion of a tumble lube boolit. Mind you, this boolit would be as short as possible to be as light as possible. Also, it'd just have one lube grove. The groove might be a little deeper than a traditional tumble lube boolit - but the groove would be round!

This low weight boolit would be better cast in a rounded lube groove profile since the edges for such a small boolit may be hard to achieve unless the mold is kept hot and feed a tin rich alloy. Additionally, I bet a rounded tumble lube type profile wold release from a mold easier.

I think there is some untapped potential here.

My rationale for this design;
    1) The minimal weight could approach that of a 40 grain 22LR bullet conserving lead.
    2) The boolit could be sized down for use in 30 caliber rifles. (Hence why I say make the one groove deep - so the squished lead would have somewhere to go)
    3) It'd provide more bearing surface than a round ball. So, it could also be used to slug the bores of guns.
    4) It could be stacked two or three deep in some cases like 32 H&R and 327 Federal.
    5) You could put a column of them in a .410 bore shotshell.
    6) They could be tumble lubed and shot un-sized, or they could be sized with a push through sizer.
    7) They'd cut clean holes in paper
    8) Rounded edges would work well with tin poor alloys
    9) Plenty of ways to experiment with them which fights boredom. (TV sucks anyway)

This 'Cookie Cutter' could be expanded to other calibers. Just saying...

Chris
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Call me interested.

I've shot 00 round buckshot run through a .314 lee sizing die. Shot good too.
    And I've shot #1 buck which I am reasonably sure never made significant contact with the rifling, and shot shotgun patterns.

I would not mind upping the weight into the 50-60 grain area. Would probably still be slower than a .22lr, but the increased weight would give it better penitration and more energy than a 40 gr.

Will be watching this thread with interest.

Boolit Master

Would this bullet be similar to the old "collar button" molds from years gone by?
    Gun control is not about guns.

I did not even think of a collar button type of design. I like that idea!
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'