Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Any advice on removing white lettering?

Any advice on removing white lettering?

I would like to remove the white(ugh) writing on my Yildiz guns. I've tried lightly buffing with 0000 steel wool and B12 carb cleaner won't cut it. I don't want to disturb the factory blacking(blueing).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    The easiest way would be black paint. It can be applied and then when almost dry wipe with remover to get off excess.

Moderator Emeritus

If Lacquor thinner doesn't touch it, you might try these suggestions:

Presto Gun Blue Pen form the Birchwood Casey
    https://www.toolnerds.com/firearm-le...paint-removal/

OR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z52f3X_ynA8
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Thanks to all!

Boolit Master
    Looks laser etched, the cold blue or black paint may be the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Have you tried acetone? It worked for me one time to remove some gold **** that filled the lettering.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 05-02-2019 at 01:48 PM. Reason: language filter bypass

Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    Have you tried acetone? It worked for me one time to remove some gold **** that filled the lettering.
    I think I have some to try. I can't believe the carb cleaner didn't touch it.

Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 05-02-2019 at 01:48 PM. Reason: cleanup quote

Boolit Grand Master

A lot of the filling if done by factory or professional isn't just simple white paint. its a filler in stick form that's worked into lettering and then a form of cyclamate sealer that soaks into this and bonds. this is like an epoxy that's impervious to a lot. They don't want solvents and oils removing it.

You may have to go after it in a more aggressive manner. Bamboo skewer sticks have a very fine tough point. Working with these you can remove the biggest share of the white inlay scraping it out then remove the rest with careful use of solvents and rubbing. You'll be surprised how tough it is to remove.
    The reason the steel wool didn't remove it is its not a surface coating but below the surface in the stampings engravings and the steel wool cant get in there to work on it. You have to get down into the lettering to remove the white.

Thank you all. It's a small thing to be sure, just bugs me a bit.

Moderator Emeritus

I had a similar challenge, and you may NOT wish to do what worked for me -- After giving up with most solvents, I sprayed the flame of a butane teeny torch I have -- almost necessary at camp to defrost locks in winter -- and for kicks and giggles, fearing dreaded heat treatment changes to steel -- I sprayed the flame on it. In record time, it turned brownish and bubbled up/got soft. A few passes with a brass AR brush removed ~80% of it, with a following pass taking care of the rest. Note: to my fingers, the barrel did not even get warm enough to shorten the time I was touching it... Second -- hindsight better than -- well, you know the drill: I foolishly tried/did this in basement -- stunk real bad, and in retrospect I'd be certain the fumes were not the best to breathe. But -- it worked for me.
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    Black sharpie marker

Boolit Master

laser engraving, cold blue over it. will still be there, but will be less obnoxious. no chemicals will clean it off.

From what I remember of the Yildiz I had I suspect the barrel is not steel. Probably more aluminum based so maybe some aluminum black?
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master

Another solvent that might work is cyanoacrylate (super glue) remover. There are two distinctly different versions. More common is the acetone based variety. The good stuff is nitromethane and it’s far more aggressive than the acetone based version. “Try it in an inconspicuous place first” but I don’t see that it would hurt bluing if the barrel is steel.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    I agree with those who said it's laser engraved and nothing is going to be able to "clean" that off, cold blue is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    From what I remember of the Yildiz I had I suspect the barrel is not steel. Probably more aluminum based so maybe some aluminum black?
    My single shot .410 and sxs 20ga Yildi have steel barrels and alloy frames.