Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Test of Hercules vs Alliant 2400 in the 357 Magnum with 6 different primers

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tim357 View Post
    Mr. Gibson, thank you for your generous support of this site. The work you do and have done is invaluable, and I appreciate it. Perhaps we will cross paths in Havasu. I'd like to buy you a beer.
    Tim sends
    Sounds like a plan, maybe a little shooting too?

Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the testing Larry. Looks like different results than were obtained a few years back when Hercules 2400 was compared to Alliant 2400 in the .44 magnum tests!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Sounds like a plan, maybe a little shooting too?

Yessir!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    Thanks for the testing Larry. Looks like different results than were obtained a few years back when Hercules 2400 was compared to Alliant 2400 in the .44 magnum tests!
    I'm planning on testing that old Hercules 2400 against the new lot of Alliant 2400 I used in this 357 test in the 44 magnum cartridge. I'm planning on 22 gr under a 253 gr RCBS 44-250-K in W-W cases with a WLP primer.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Cool................
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Thank you Larry for all the work you doing and show what the out come of it all and also all the help you been giving me also . Always looking forward to all you write .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    Excellent workup. 14g of 2400 behind a 158g slug has been my go to 357 mag load for years.

Thanks,
    Stephen

Boolit Buddy

Thank you, sir. Good info, and 14.0 gr. of 2400 is my go-to load, as well, but with H&G #51.

Boolit Grand Master

Larry;
    Thank you for a very valuable report! Your work IS appreciated!

Dale53

Boolit Grand Master
    What Dale said, in all caps. (Belatedly)

I have made extensive use of "both" 2400s since I began reloading. It is my go-to powder for 410 3" shotshells, and for cast bullet magnum revolvers. I had an idea that the Alliant version of the powder was a mite faster than the older Hercules stuff, based upon velocity upticks with the new stuff--and a number of guys I shot with (Buckshot and the Burrito Cadre) saw similar results. It is good to see that our empirical impressions are confirmed by some genuine research.

My old shop added the 357 Magnum revolvers to our authorized caliber roster in 1994, with the Winchester Super-X 158 grain JHP as the Coin Of The Realm. From my duty 357 (S&W 686 x 4") these departed at 1235-1240 FPS. With Lyman #358156 I cobbled up "ladder loads" using A2400, and at 13.5 grains matched the factory load's velocity and targeting at 25 yards. The shop changed to the Federal #357B c. 2016, just like most the rest of the world that carries 357s for social engagements. My agency moves with the speed of a glacier at times, but it was still a pretty good place to work. And, truth to tell, when it comes to felon repellant, there are no bad loads in 357 Magnum.

Larry--check your P.M.s.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Larry, thanks for sharing your work.

Looking at the table I couldn’t help but notice that there is a clear inflection point on accuracy that seems unrelated to the sd/es of the pressure. While it looks like the magnum primer loads are more accurate, the inflection is before the last standard primer tests. Were the tests shot in the order they appear in the table, and if so do you think the significant improvement in accuracy is maybe a function of an external factor rather than primer selection?

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, they were shot in the order listed. It does appear both 2400s seem to favor the "hotter" primers. Actually they have a longer flame duration. The SD/ES of the velocity also indicates that but the SD/ES of the pressure measurement does not. Many would think the higher psi SD/ESs would result in higher velocity SD/ESs and less accuracy. I thought that before the actual test results of not only the 357 Magnum in this test but with others as well. All is not what we think it should be with internal ballistics.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I know so little that I have very few expectations. I am always up for fact based analysis, however.............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    "Many would think the higher psi SD/ESs would result in higher velocity SD/ESs and less accuracy. I thought that before the actual test results of not only the 357 Magnum in this test but with others as well. All is not what we think it should be with internal ballistics."

This should be made a quote and remembered. In fact, I have saved it and will use it occasionally but will give credit and not use it as a statement from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Yes, they were shot in the order listed. It does appear both 2400s seem to favor the "hotter" primers. Actually they have a longer flame duration. The SD/ES of the velocity also indicates that but the SD/ES of the pressure measurement does not. Many would think the higher psi SD/ESs would result in higher velocity SD/ESs and less accuracy. I thought that before the actual test results of not only the 357 Magnum in this test but with others as well. All is not what we think it should be with internal ballistics.
    I get good accuracy with standard and magnum primers with 2400 but, when I chronograph the velocities are more consistant with magnum. I started using magnum exclusively with 2400, H110, IMR4227. Magnum does work better for sure.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Thank you Larry!
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12