Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First loads on new bench.

First loads on new bench.

Well here's the first report on the new bench I hope some of you have been following.

For now I have the bench set with the Auto Breech Lock Pro press and loaded up some 9mm Plated RN using both the case feeder and the RCBS Tube Bullet feeder. In all honesty I still do not have a lot of experience with this press or the arrangement. But I think I am finally developing a routine and learning how to use the Safety Prime System. Didn't set any speed records but didn't have any failures and only a couple missed primers. Seriously it took me about an hour to load up 50 rounds But again I was check weighing almost every round and still getting the feel for everything.

This new benchtop is at the same height as it was before with the Pro1000 on it. Well the new press is lower and the handle is in a different position than the Pro1000 and I may have to raise this up a few inches as the handle is very low at the bottom of the stroke. Before I make a change I will put the Pro1000 or the turret press on the bench and see how it feels.

Still the bench is rock solid the steel bench plate is holding the press firmly in place. While sitting at the bench I am able to clearly see into the case to verify a powder drop w/o having to wiggle around to look or bend over. The bin that the finished rounds are supposed to drop into, well I didn't use it. Instead I took a plastic lid from an ice cream bucket and slid it under the drop chute and it's being held in place with a very strong Rare Earth magnet. I only had 1 round bounce out and hit the floor.

So other than possibly having to raise the height of the benchtop I am very please with the results and am finally getting familiar with this new press. Now I really need to get out and burn some of this up so I can make more.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I don’t see nuthin..lol... what new bench????

Pictures sir.. let’s see this beauty!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    Glad to hear it’s all together and working well,I bet that plate stiffened it up.
    For the ABLP it might be simpler to modify or fashion a new handle than raise the bench top if everything else works well at that height.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Glad you got it setup like you want. Every time i think i got it there is always something i want to add.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001 resized.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	215.5 KB 
ID:	240910

This is the new and improved bench with the ABLP mounted and after I finished those loads.

To raise the benchtop will not be that big an issue as there is a cleat bolted to the cabinet so just a matter of finding a new position and drilling new holes and moving it up. As for the overall size I think it's perfect as there is another bench right behind this one for heavy/dirty work. This bench is only for making Boolits.

I was also thinking of having a different handle made with bends that will fit my needs better. Will look into that too.

So I just took the ABLP press and C clamped it to the bench next to the Value turret press and what I found is that the ABLP press handle when all the way down is 5" lower than the handle of the Turret press. That is a huge difference.

Was able to raise the press with a 2" block and that really helped the ABLP press but looks as though that would raise the turret press of the Pro1000 just too much. Dang, this isn't going to be easy.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I love it.... everything has its place... good picture... and I especially love the gold pan classifier under the press... those things work great for everything from reloading debri to cooking separations..they especially work good for separating salmon berries from stems collected with a picker...

What is the red disk dish looking thingy on that’s very top of your press? Some sort of brass feeder system??? I know, I don’t get out much...

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    So I just took the ABLP press and C clamped it to the bench next to the Value turret press and what I found is that the ABLP press handle when all the way down is 5" lower than the handle of the Turret press. That is a huge difference.

Was able to raise the press with a 2" block and that really helped the ABLP press but looks as though that would raise the turret press of the Pro1000 just too much. Dang, this isn't going to be easy.
    The handle ergonomics are not great. On both the turret and the auto breech lock pro I sit to the left of the press on the ABLP I sit in line with the primer feed. We are all different so this may not help but here is a pic of how I have the lever set on mine and the pic is from about the angle I sit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D916B48C-06A9-4C54-A848-0B6DF3407A7A.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	240976

Thanks guys, Markopolo yes that sifter comes in very handy indeed. There it is being used to gather spent primers and is working well and you are correct about the case feeder. On the back side of the powder hopper there is also a bullet feeder tube.

onelight mine is attached from the opposite side of the linkage and the roller is turned more to the rear of the press.

Boolit Master
    I tried a wheeled chair at my bench but every time I pulled the lever I rolled away ,use it for casting duties where it does the job a treat.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys, Markopolo yes that sifter comes in very handy indeed. There it is being used to gather spent primers and is working well and you are correct about the case feeder. On the back side of the powder hopper there is also a bullet feeder tube.

onelight mine is attached from the opposite side of the linkage and the roller is turned more to the rear of the press.
    That is the lever setting I wound up with . A little strange but I set to the left of the press and the handle falls between my knees. Comfortable for me and easy to see the case feed and powder charge I manually set the bullet so short reach for that.

robq I sit at the bench because of medical problems with the legs. As long as the chair is low enough that I can sit flat footed the chair doesn't wheel around.

onelight I too sit to the left and the handle passes just right of my right knee.

I was over on Inline Fab website as they have aftermarket handles, didn't see one for the Lee ABLP but what I did see are quite pricey!

Boolit Master
    robq I sit at the bench because of medical problems with the legs. As long as the chair is low enough that I can sit flat footed the chair doesn't wheel around.

onelight I too sit to the left and the handle passes just right of my right knee.

I was over on Inline Fab website as they have aftermarket handles, didn't see one for the Lee ABLP but what I did see are quite pricey!
    As simple as the handle is if a guy could find some bar-stock the right size he might could bend one to fit him and fit a ball to it .
    But you might find an arrangement that works for you with the one that came with it. Moving the handle to the left side of the mount and you can adjust the length and angle in the mount you may find a setup that is adaptable for you.
    From the way I sit the stock setup was not comfortable and the handle was to close to the case feeder . There is a range of adjustment that most presses don’t have , so you have some options for adjustment . I have to set it where I think it might work load a few hundred and see if I like it.

Boolit Buddy
    You need to mount that RCBS Jr. press for some odd one off work or a great little press when the turret needs a 5th station.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    That looks like a nice setup should enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    That looks like a nice setup should enjoy it.
    Thank you! So far so good. I've also come up with another gooseneck light that had a 40watt LED Spot light in it. That is going to come in handy.

Today I've been pondering and working on a catch bin for the finished bullets. Because I have the press recessed into the bench the original one doesn't work as well.

If I understand you correctly, you’d like one press to be about 2” higher for ergonomic reasons.

It would be a fairly simple project to fab a raised mount from 3”(?) pipe and flanges. You may have to drill and tap more holes to match the bolt pattern of the flange, but the mount will be solid... and maybe offer more room for that catch bin...?

Let me know if you want to see photos of my set up. It’s definitely not an example of rocket science, but it works for me.

Oh, your new bench sucks. Way too clean, organized, and neat. You’re an embarrassment to the reloading community.
    Last edited by 468; 05-11-2019 at 09:23 AM.

Boolit Master
    I too found that I sit well to the left of the centerline of the ABLP. I took the roller part of the handle off and installed a 2-1/2 ball on the end of the handle rod. That is much better and as I use the press more I will probably shorten the bent part of the handle rod to bring the ball closer to me. Sort of a custom fit.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by C.F.Plinker View Post
    I too found that I sit well to the left of the centerline of the ABLP. I took the roller part of the handle off and installed a 2-1/2 ball on the end of the handle rod. That is much better and as I use the press more I will probably shorten the bent part of the handle rod to bring the ball closer to me. Sort of a custom fit.
    I think I would prefer a ball to , I may do that.

Boolit Master

Every good press deserves its place
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast