Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: PC vs GC

Boolit Buddy

PC vs GC

I'm shooting 'Ruger Only' loads for hunting in my Bisley 45 Colt. My boolits are plain base and gas checked.
    Do you think I can do away with the gas check and simply powder coat instead?
    Will the PC act as a protectant for the base of the boolit like a GC does? Bruce

Boolit Master
    Ive never gas checked anything besides rifle cal in rifles so far, just pc. You should be fine unless something else is wrong

Boolit Master

My limited work with hot 41 magnums using 2400 and a faster H110 variant with plain base 185 grain bullets... seems to indicate that the powder coat in a short barrel will hold up. I have only trapped about 7 bullets, but all looked good. Using Smokes powders.

I will not shoot a bullet designed for a check without a check. I do not want to loose the rear driving band.

Boolit Buddy
    To my understanding, PC only acts as a lubricant and should not be relied upon to protect any bases. Especially if the rounds are approaching 1500 FPS or faster. I agree with what was stated earlier: gas check what should be gas checked.

That said, none of mine are GC’d since I don’t shoot anything faster than 1300 FPS anyway.

Boolit Master

Certain powders like Titegroup (when storing ammo loaded with) can be more of an enemy than gas cutting. I.E., I shoot .223 55 grain w/20 grains H4895, no gc's and fly way over 1500 FPS without leading. Of course alloy is 18+ BHN. Chambers, shots and cycles every round.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

I shoot PC'd plain-base 162 gr. RNFPs (Arsenal mold) in my .357 revolvers and a Rossi '92 without any leading/fouling issues. Haven't chrono'd this load from the Rossi, but it clocks 1120 fps from a 6" S&W. However, for those "Ruger Only" loads, I believe I'd stick with GCs.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Short answer - yes.
    Long answer - PC prevents leading, but gas checks can be helpful when shooting higher pressure, higher velocity loads. Anything in the 45 Colt realm of velocities and properly applied powder coat will be sufficient.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the replies. I do have a plain base check maker but it is kind of a pain to use. Plus, those durn checks sure slow a feller down when reloading.

Boolit Master
    pc makes it obvious if your undersize and getting any gas cutting up from the base cause theres a trench without your color blown through. id recommend catching one in water to check, lap sizer slightly larger if needed and it should come out with nice base corners

Boolit Master

I've just shot my first PC'd Rifle bullets. Lyman #287405. It's a gas checked Loverin design and I've never fired any gas check bullet without one.

No leading, IMR3031.

The PC'd #358156 with gas checks over max 2400 have shown no leading at all. Had to size & seat gas checks in my LYMAN 450. Lee .358 bullet sizer die hasn't been polished enough to not scrap off the PC. And I can't seat gas checks with Lee die, they come out crooked. Even when I seat the gas checks on the Lyman 450 with gas check seated attachment.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Even when I seat the gas checks on the Lyman 450 with gas check seated attachment.
    You might have to open up the checks to fit properly on the shank of the boolit. IIRC - NOE makes a tool to do this. If the checks are too small they will cock to one side or the other.

I shoot my SAECO #356, 200gr. boolit out of my 35/30 with GC and without, PC'd. There is no leading and I cannot detect any difference in accuracy as they both shoot into an inch at 50yds. with a peep sight on my model 64 Winny. I have clocked them at 1796 fps.

I have also driven my 338320 Lyman in excess of 2700 fps. with no leading PC'd and the ones with the GC have definitely shot better.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Don’t know what kind of velocities you’re getting but if it’s anything like my .45 Colt loads for Ruger and Contender I’m under 1400 FPS. No GC needed. I’m getting 1600 FPS with 429421 plain base boolits in my .44 Contender barrel. I don’t see why PC would make any difference either way. If it burns off it shouldn’t matter as long as the base isn’t being burned away. The .45 will be at lower pressures than a .44. Try it and recover some boolits to see if the bases are eroding. If not, don’t worry, be happy.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Don’t know what kind of velocities you’re getting but if it’s anything like my .45 Colt loads for Ruger and Contender I’m under 1400 FPS. No GC needed. I’m getting 1600 FPS with 429421 plain base boolits in my .44 Contender barrel. I don’t see why PC would make any difference either way. If it burns off it shouldn’t matter as long as the base isn’t being burned away. The .45 will be at lower pressures than a .44. Try it and recover some boolits to see if the bases are eroding. If not, don’t worry, be happy.
    PC does not burn easily. Just try throwing a few rejected PC'd boolits in the melt.

Also, this was a 44 mag round I found a gas check for. Load is Accurate 43-240-AG GC'd and PC'd under 23.5 grain of W296.
    Attachment 240939
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Buddy
    Not a handgun round and not high pressure, but I run a plain based 250 gr bullet out of my JES rebored Marlin 38-55 at 1600 without problems. This one is loaded for hunting, 10 Bhn, PC over 3031 and very accurate. The same bullet lubed, without the PC at 1400 works great. I haven't tried the lubed bullet at 1600, use the pc to identify the heavier load.

I really have no use for a gc on any pistol bullet. PC just makes that easier. I have had the gc removed from a couple molds for that reason.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    I really have no use for a gc on any pistol bullet. PC just makes that easier. I have had the gc removed from a couple molds for that reason.
    I agree but there is one mold (NOE-PB) I wish was a GC mold for my 500. Still hunting for those thin PB checks for a .500 S&W if anyone runs across, thanks.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    PC does not burn easily. Just try throwing a few rejected PC'd boolits in the melt.

Also, this was a 44 mag round I found a gas check for. Load is Accurate 43-240-AG GC'd and PC'd under 23.5 grain of W296.
    Attachment 240939
    I chrono'd these recently and it was around 1450 in a ruger Redhawk with a 7.5"barrel.
    WWG1WGA