Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A wall made from rifle barrels

A wall made from rifle barrels

Thought you guy's would like this. A few weeks back I was going from Indiana PA to Bedford PA and thought I would stop at an old shop I use to go to many years ago, Springfield Sporters Penn run PA, I called their number the message said they where open but when I got there no one was home, grass had over grown the walks. this place is on a farm in a out of the way place, but I had to take a pic of the wall made from what looks like 98 mauser barrel's.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0226191010.jpg 
Views:	511 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	240807
    Last edited by Jjed; 04-30-2019 at 08:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    Wow. Years ago someone told me the same shop had used rifle barrels for rebar in their floor.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Bannermans island in new york harbor has rifle barrels used as rebar in the concrete in most of the buildings . things were alot cheaper in the 20s and 30s

Boolit Master
    Salvage dealers paid 9 cents a pound for battle field pick up WW1 weapons. The going price for high quality steel scrap at the time.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jjed View Post
    Thought you guy's would like this. A few weeks back I was going from Indiana PA to Bedford PA and thought I would stop at an old shop I use to go to many years ago, Springfield Sporters Penn run PA, I called their number the message said they where open but when I got there no one was home, grass had over grown the walks. this place is on a farm in a out of the way place, but I had to take a pic of the wall made from what looks like 98 mauser barrel's.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0226191010.jpg 
Views:	511 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	240807
    That is just amazing, thanks for sharing that.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    The water impoundment dam for the lake at Ft. Ritchie, Maryland, has tens of thousands of Krag barrels in it in place of rebar. Built as a WPA project in the early 30's.

Boolit Master
    I still have a couple of their catalogues in book shelf, also had breakdown drawings like gun parts had. I used to buy from them as a young fellow, some of the pictures had rifles on stacked pallets in rows. I think I am old enough now I can officially use the term the good ol' days!

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Storeroom at Solar aerodrome in the town of Stavanger, Norway; holding some of the estimated 30,000 rifles taken from German forces in Norway after their surrender.

Boolit Master
    Fascinating photo,looks like each stack contains 200 rifles, I wonder if they were eventually sold off or destroyed?

Boolit Master
    Considering the metal shortages after a war, I am surprised they didn't just send all those off to be recycled. The barrels, etc have a lot of high quality steel in them. But then they may have decided to hang onto the guns for a while, just in case they needed them themselves.

That is pretty neat about the fence or wall made with barrels. It is rather unique too. They probably need to watch out for the metal thieves though. I bet some of the thieves drive by wondering how they could make off with that wall.

Boolit Master
    the fence around the squire in Chambersburg pa. has cannon barrels for fence posts.

I was in France in the 80's and found a picket fence around a large house made out of Maxim MG08 barrels.

Ulysis Grants home in Misouri has a fence constructed of Springfield barrels. LOTS of them
    Most folks see a firearm as rifle, pistol, shotgun, ect.... I see a canvas.

Boolit Mold
    And some poor guy gets flamed because he wants to turn a 98 into a sporter.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Austin Monk told me during WW2, they used barrels for reinforcing rods in foundations. Being a Sharps man, it bothered him many were Sharps barrels.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    The water impoundment dam for the lake at Ft. Ritchie, Maryland, has tens of thousands of Krag barrels in it in place of rebar. Built as a WPA project in the early 30's.
    So that's where my Krag barrel is.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

During the siege of Ladysmith in the Boer war the Brits found a muzzle loading canon being used as a gate post. They dug it up mounted it on a carriage and put it in action. The garrison commander was Baden-Powell who later founded the Boy Scouts.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    pacomdiver - I have a 34-70 barrel that was use as re-rod in cement on Bannerman's Island. A friend of mine visited the island a number o years ago - she of the comet was in tough shape and the barrels were exposed - he picked one up for me as well as one for himself. "Old iron" in those days!

Back in the day my buddy and I would go to springfield sporters on a saturday morning and look through what they had, and sometimes pick up a new to us rifle and then go to the ammo shelf buy surplus ammo, they had boxes of 8mm world war 2 surplus sold in 50 round boxes that looked like a 12 ga shotgun box for 3 to 4 dollars and about the same price for 303 British surplus with soft point boolits most of them had cracked necks from replacing the boolits but they shot fine. they used to have rifles stacked on the 2nd floor just like in the pic from 17nut. I still have some of the 8mm pre war rounds, the boolits look like they are chrome plated. I shot one through a piece of scrap railroad track my uncle had, looked like someone had drilled a 3/8 hole all the way through the web between the base and the top.

Boolit Master
    I understand that a well known Australian gun dealer used hundreds of Martini Cadet rifles as re bar in his driveway. As a young lad I could walk into any gun store and see barrels of Martini Cadets just sitting there, how times have changed. Regards Stephen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast