RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cocking HW95 Causes Pain

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fenring View Post
    Perhaps adding a muzzle weight will give more leverage?

https://www.airrifleheadquarters.com...004/692734.htm
    This rifle already has a muzzle weight.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/spr...field-pro-.22/
    Last edited by alamogunr; 05-10-2019 at 09:42 PM.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Sorry to be late getting back to this. To take them in reverse order. Both of mine are Hatsan not a weihrauch. But there is a huge difference in cocking force required.

Next, as to cocking. Find a position where the gun supports itself. IE right hand not holding the stock. For me that was sitting down with the stock between my thigh's. When I slapped the barrel the heel of the stock would dig into the seat of the chair and I could use both arms for cocking force. Working together instead of working against each other. Just play around until you find a way that works.

Another consideration is adding a suppressor which could add 6-8" of leverage.
    See my post just previous to this one. I just edited the post. My rifle is a .22

Until my arm started to hurt, I was not aware of excess difficulty cocking the rifle. But, I had nothing to compare with since this was my first airgun. I've still got a lot of shooting to do before I can consider myself accurate with an air gun. I may never accomplish that to the extent that others do since I started late in life. I think I posted somewhere that I will be 77 in July. I still work out, mostly with light weights and aerobic excercises, just to keep from going to seed. I may be reaching the point where the seed is going to sprout despite my efforts.

Ghosthawk, when it stops raining, I will try your suggestion as well as others. The problem right now is that the rain makes the grass grow so it has to be mowed before I can have time for shooting.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    You could make a cocking devise that slides over the front of your barrel. Kind of like my browning 22 cal pistol has only make one bigger. My dads two years older than you and he won’t even try to cock my Walther talon 22 mag rifle. It’s a beast. I don’t know what pulls harder the barrel when I cock it or the trigger pull.lol I had a nitro piston installed it when they first came out I would assume it must’ve made it a heavier pull? Older younger a hundred times cocking in one day it’s gonna be sore and anybody in my opinion. If you shoot that much maybe you’re better off to get an air tank and a rifle you don’t need to cock that will be good for 7 to 12 shots in between charging.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    You could make a cocking devise that slides over the front of your barrel. Kind of like my browning 22 cal pistol has only make one bigger. My dads two years older than you and he won’t even try to cock my Walther talon 22 mag rifle. It’s a beast. I don’t know what pulls harder the barrel when I cock it or the trigger pull.lol I had a nitro piston installed it when they first came out I would assume it must’ve made it a heavier pull? Older younger a hundred times cocking in one day it’s gonna be sore and anybody in my opinion. If you shoot that much maybe you’re better off to get an air tank and a rifle you don’t need to cock that will be good for 7 to 12 shots in between charging.
    Thinking about a PCP w/air tank. Want to make sure I can get tank refilled locally plus need to accumulate a few more $$ in the gun fund. Not ready to give up on the springer yet though. May not take any more than moderation in number of shots at a session plus putting into practice some of the suggestions here.
    Twenty five to thirty shots 3-4 times a week would be better than 100 or so shots then 2 weeks before shooting again.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    The compressors are coming down in price. I’ve wanted a Sam yang 45 cal big bore for a decade and a half but just didn’t want to mess around with running to get a tank filled all the time. I might have to buy a compressor and a rifle soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12