Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steak, potatoes, onions, mushrooms, bacon and cheese foil pack on the BBQ ...

Steak, potatoes, onions, mushrooms, bacon and cheese foil pack on the BBQ ...

The wife just flew out today with a girlfriend of hers on a "girls" holiday trip so I had to fend for myself when it came to dinner. Cubed steak with salt, freshly ground pepper, and a drizzle of sesame oil, plus cubed potatoes, diced onions, sliced mushrooms, crumbled bacon, coated with garlic butter, and then finished of with a melted mixed cheese topping for the last 5 minutes. Life is pretty tough when the little woman is away ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

We do those here and there.

In Boy Scouts, we'd often take one for our first meal on a camping trip.

Here, they're typically called 'hobo dinners'.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

OK, I'm officially hungry now!!!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Buddy
    Lordy man! That looks amazing

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Banned

every one of the mandatory food groups in the same meal!! did you brown the meat or just cook it in the foil. Did you leave the foil open or wrap it. I AM going to try this.

Boolit Master

YUM!! They are great, and in the Scouts we used hamburger not steak
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Now everyone just has to stop posting all the tasty looking recipes. I am on a diet and can't have any of it . You know its not nice to torture someone. But boy it sure looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    Now everyone just has to stop posting all the tasty looking recipes. I am on a diet and can't have any of it . You know its not nice to torture someone. But boy it sure looks good.

Some of these, I've gained 3-4 pounds just from looking at the pictures.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

30-40 years ago, we did a lot of similar things to simplify camping. Haven't thought about it in some time. Really simple meals, but dang good. I did bacon and chicken liver and sliced water chestnut, skewered with a toothpick. Really, any meat/veggie mix you crave. We also did omelets in zip-lock bags. Simply put eggs, cheese and anything else you want in zip-lock bags, squeeze them a few times to mix everything, then put in an ice chest. Put a pan of water on to boil, drop the number of bags you want to prepare and boil for 15-20 minutes. Quick, easy meal, no mess to clean up.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    every one of the mandatory food groups in the same meal!! did you brown the meat or just cook it in the foil. Did you leave the foil open or wrap it. I AM going to try this.
    I seasoned the raw cubed steak with salt, freshly ground coarse pepper, and a drizzle of sesame oil. (Didn't brown the steak first, I put it into the foil raw, but you could brown it first if you like.) I cubed the potatoes, diced an onion, sliced some mushrooms, then seasoned them all and tossed them in some melted garlic butter. Seal the foil tightly and pop it onto the BBQ for 20 minutes. Open the foil pack and add the crumbled bacon and a handful of shredded cheese and leave the foil pack on the grill with the foil open for another 3 to 5 minutes to melt the cheese. Easy peasy and tasty too!
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    We do those here and there.

In Boy Scouts, we'd often take one for our first meal on a camping trip.

Here, they're typically called 'hobo dinners'.
    We called them silver turtles.

Al, if your wife sees this you'll be doing all the cooking in the future.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Not sure that would be a problem from where I sit.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Banned

were the potatoes put in raw or did you pre cook them? 15 minutes doesn't seem like enough time to cook potatoes and onion.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I already do 98% of the cooking in our house anyway ... I cook since I enjoy it ... she cooks if she has to ...

were the potatoes put in raw or did you pre cook them? 15 minutes doesn't seem like enough time to cook potatoes and onion.
    Yes, both the potatoes and the steak were raw. As long as they are cubed small enough (about 1 to 1 1/2") and you tightly wrap the foil the potatoes will cook thoroughly. I cooked the foil pack on the BBQ for 20 minutes first and then added the crumbled bacon and shredded cheese and cooked it for another 5 minutes, so they get 25 minutes baking / BBQ'ing time in total. A good yellow potato like "Yukon Gold" will give the best results. Don't use baking potatoes ...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    I already do 98% of the cooking in our house anyway ... I cook since I enjoy it ... she cooks if she has to ...

I'm with you. My dad worked a logging camp in the '30s. You started out at the bottom, lowest pay--cook's helper. As higher paying jobs became available, you were promoted. He went thru cook's helper, cook, choker boy, skidding gang, and then lumberjack. If you didn't keep your eyes open, and learn, something bad was going to happen. Many a person never made it past cook, because they couldn't learn and turn out good food for the lumber hands. He learned and could cook--not gourmet stuff, but solid food to make a lumberjack happy. He was a lumberjack before he had a bad car wreck. Went on to become a journeyman carpenter and later a journeyman ironworker. I cook most of the food here, as it is fun to me, and its kind of a stress release.

Boolit Master

Thing about cooking this way, its sorta like pressure cooking. A tightly wrapped foil package like this is going to trap the steam and hold it to some degree. Have no idea the pounds of steam a package like this would contain. The food cooks faster than in a skillet, though. Vegetables will be cooked, but not mush. When I prepare a package like this, I roll it from the top down, then from the ends, inward. Makes a real good, sealed package.

Banned

I do potatoes and onion on the grill wrapped in foil but usually takes about 40 minutes. I put them on the high rack for 30 minutes then 5 minutes on each side with the grill turned up because I like a bit of brown on the edges. Baked potatoes on the grill are wrapped with a bit of butter and half a sliced onion and cooked about an hour on the high rack. Al im going to have to take out a pack of back straps today and do your thing tommarow.

In Remembrance

The Frau makes these `Hobo Dinners` every now and again and always makes more than for just a meal or two and freezes the rest. One thing that she does that I like is she puts a tablespoon heaped up of Campbells mushroom soup in the pack before sealing it, this makes gravey when the pack is cooked. Of course I `Doctor Up` my dinners when they are served with several shots of Tobasco - just for the `kick`.Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast