RotoMetals2PBcastcoLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's an unpopular topic: what are your favorite survival-related cardio activities?

Boolit Buddy

Here's an unpopular topic: what are your favorite survival-related cardio activities?

Fitness has always been a part of my life, and ive gon through periods where I was an unfit fat( for me) body, ben a PT machine and a iron addict.
    After several years focusing primarily on weigths, and some intermittent layoffs, ive decided to up my cardio game again.

when I was in my 20's and earlier 30's..i was a running machine, before the days where everyone was all : Ia mm a runner too".

Currently, I'm walking on a local wood road/trail, and im lucky enough to live in an area where I can go with my rifle and mags if I want.
    Also working in some jogging on the dirt road- so much easier on the knees- in working up to doing some real running again.

Burpees also, some tabatas..and sprints, hiking, carrying stuff..farmers walks..and chores..

As long as I do not OVER do it- recovery is conspicuously slower these days- it should be all good, despite the aches and pains that come when you work the weakness, sloth and lard from your body.

What else you guys do?

Boolit Master
    humans branched off from the great ape species to be roughly half dozen times weaker in exchange for being near infinitely better at running, so id say running is best as its what were designed for. I prefer running on dirt with minimalist style shoes that allow your feet to work like feet. kinda have a pet peeve about that with everyone wearing 2 pound shoes, I feel like their feet are gonna atrophy in there.

bourbon.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Buddy
    I used to do long distance running of 12-30 mile weekly long runs plus shorter 5-8 mile runs during the week. That was totally amazing to be able cover 30 miles in a few hours by foot carrying all my drink and food needed. But that can take toll on the feet. After some injuries I did not get back into it again (I was 45-50 yrs at the time).

For survival I think balanced strength and cardio is better than over specializing in cardio. In emergencies we are likely going to need to push, pull and carry heavy stuff. And not very likely have a need to run somewhere in just shorts and T-shirt. I think being able to do medium hard manual labor for several hours is more important. In survival mode we may be doing a fair amount of digging, carrying, pushing, building/repairs, walking and being on our feet most of the day. I would say if you can go out and do heavy yard work for 4-8 hours with minimal rest breaks then whatever fitness routine you are doing is good. I know some marathon runners who can barely lift their luggage into their car trunk but can run several marathons a year and run at least 5 miles every day.

These days I do mostly calisthenics and online fitnessblender.com which is great for flexibility (really needed in senior years) and well balanced strength and cardio. I also do some kettlebells. Planning to build a family outdoor fitness structure instead of play structure this summer. Rope climb, pull up bars, dip bars, stair step, etc for various heights, with a platform and bench for calisthenics and kettlebells.

Boolit Buddy

Ive been both places- cardio machine, lean but with a decent amount of muscle, to being able to lift 2x or better my weight.

The "mode" I felt most capable, and best in, was cardio, with a circuit weight routine worked in.

In the intervening years, ive gotten smarter about training, and realized I spent a lot of effort that I really did not NEED to, but still did so because of the love of it.

Cardio, mixed with deadlift/sguats/bechpress/pullups sounds te best to me. Though admittedly, where ever I AM fitness wise- I always feel I need to go the other direction, IE- if I am strong, I need to be faster/lighter and have greater endurance. If I am lean and fast, I want muscle and power.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    I used to do long distance running of 12-30 mile weekly long runs plus shorter 5-8 mile runs during the week. That was totally amazing to be able cover 30 miles in a few hours by foot carrying all my drink and food needed. But that can take toll on the feet. After some injuries I did not get back into it again (I was 45-50 yrs at the time).

For survival I think balanced strength and cardio is better than over specializing in cardio. In emergencies we are likely going to need to push, pull and carry heavy stuff. And not very likely have a need to run somewhere in just shorts and T-shirt. I think being able to do medium hard manual labor for several hours is more important. In survival mode we may be doing a fair amount of digging, carrying, pushing, building/repairs, walking and being on our feet most of the day. I would say if you can go out and do heavy yard work for 4-8 hours with minimal rest breaks then whatever fitness routine you are doing is good. I know some marathon runners who can barely lift their luggage into their car trunk but can run several marathons a year and run at least 5 miles every day.

These days I do mostly calisthenics and online fitnessblender.com which is great for flexibility (really needed in senior years) and well balanced strength and cardio. I also do some kettlebells. Planning to build a family outdoor fitness structure instead of play structure this summer. Rope climb, pull up bars, dip bars, stair step, etc for various heights, with a platform and bench for calisthenics and kettlebells.
    these are fun to build, almost feels like you are not working out!
    I made a course through the woods that incorporated several skills, cardio, some calisthenics, and some shooting that was lots of fun.
    Honestly, I MISS running, and want to get back into it before I get too decrepit to do so.

Boolit Buddy
    I will add that I think this topic is critical for anyone interested in preparation or survival of disasters or societal breakdown. The vast majority of people work in stores and offices and are not fit to work with hands and feet all day. But in survival situations we need to be able to exactly that, plus have the physiological endurance for sustained living in the elements: heat, cold, wet, super dry.

Next to hardening our bodies to work outside for extended times I would suggest is having the clothing and tools to do so.

Most people can adapt physically to the need over time, but in emergencies you need to be able to perform now. Being fit also helps prevent injuries such as strains, falls, and to some degree even getting bashed about.

If you need to sandbag your house against flooding are you up to shoveling and carrying bags for several hours? If a wind storm knocks down a bunch of trees over your house and or neighbors can you run a chainsaw and axe all day? If you need to evacuate and the roads are jammed, how far can you hoof it in a few hours carrying survival supplies to get out of the danger zone? If there is a wildfire nearby would you be able to help dig a fire line or cut down brush and trees in the heat?

Boolit Buddy

Much of your last paragraph describes " rural Maine" lifestyles, replace the sandbags for hay bales.

Bog walks, as I call 'em, as thats where it leads, will continue. With the added advantage of some dicey terrain- the wood yard about 1/2 mile past the bog was active all winter, thus its messy.
    My son is starting to like tooling around on mountain bikes, so we have been riding around, me on my old Diamondback I bought in CA, 25+ years ago.

also going to start flipping the tire again.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    humans branched off from the great ape species to be roughly half dozen times weaker in exchange for being near infinitely better at running, so id say running is best as its what were designed for. I prefer running on dirt with minimalist style shoes that allow your feet to work like feet. kinda have a pet peeve about that with everyone wearing 2 pound shoes, I feel like their feet are gonna atrophy in there.
    Agree with you! its like wearing boots all the time, very secure feeling, but its almost like wearing splints on your feet they get weak.
    What are you using for a shoe these days? ive always liked asics. But I want something with a good tread for traction, some places I go are slick

Boolit Master

Bicycle machine.
    Fat tire bike.
    I was never a runner and no matter how much I ran, I never got the slightest bit better at running.
    Riding a bicycle three days a week for two weeks did greatly improve my running.

Boolit Grand Master

The question I have is what would you be running to or running from? Being in great psychical shape is great for combat, fleeing riots or burning buildings. Food tends to be a huge problem for long term type issues. For most long term survival-related situations being fat with lots of stored energy may be the best option.

Same for the bug out stuff. Great for a short term plan to get back to your food, shelter and defensive assets. In an infrastructure collapse you will not be welcome anywhere unless you have resources or skills to contribute to wherever you plan of going to.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine1 View Post
    What are you using for a shoe these days? ive always liked asics. But I want something with a good tread for traction, some places I go are slick
    I been using Trail glove 4's for the past year, I like em a lot. seem to have good traction but idk compared to yours. before that I wore vans type shoes and looking back seems like I was wearing a cast on my feet all the time. I was like holy cow the ground actually feels like something lol

Boolit Grand Master
    Your perspective will change as you get older. Being in great shape is far less important than knowledge, skills and assets.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

how much older?
    Skills have been a focus of my life..well, since I was a kid. I do not see them as mutually exclusive.
    I'll be 50 in a few years, and though I do not recover as fast as when I was young, I do not buy the conventional " have to get fat and weak over 40" nonsense. The choices we make about how we move, and the junk we shovel down our gullets, everyday, add up into what we are able to do. I understood this once...but forgot and had to spend some time as a fat guy to learn that I never should have slacked off.

The example I have is a man ive trained with. Last time we worked together he was 69, I think, and was able to stand, talking casually, and lift his foot in a slow kick, to the side of my head, as easily as he could scratch his head.
    PLUS..he knew how to do **** near everything.

I read a story once bout a couple guys that went to Alaska to hunt polar bear. Long story short a plane landed on the frozen ocean and then bust through the ice. There was a somewhat fat, older hunter from the lower US, and a physically fit, alaskan guide in the plane. The fat guy was able to swim, breaking ice to his companions and lived. The guide drowned. The other hunter and his guide landed and witnessed the ordeal. They said the desiding factor was a tenacious will to survive.

The point, while some level of physical fitness is important, mindset is by far the most important factor in a survival situation.

The hunter made a full recovery and the next year he and his buddy both successfully harvested an ice bear.

Boolit Master
    Long walks with a loaded pack and heavy boots.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    12 Oz Mtn. Dew curles.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Well to old , fat and bad health to do much of anything even had to stop cardiac rehab due to health. So i guess i will just sit where i am and do the best i can to protect me and mine in an emergency .

Boolit Master

Yard work...half acre backyard will take care of cardio

Boolit Master
    Biking, jump rope and Swimming. I live in Pa, and there are mountains all around me. My youngest son and my oldest's 3 kids all go hiking on the many trail systems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast