Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything

Thread: When is too much barrel to much???

Boolit Master

When is too much barrel to much???

I have a 6.5 jap (carcano action) with a 30 and a half inch barrel. I would like to use the action for something but I don't need a goose gun. I was searching the web for ballistic work on the 6.5 grendel and the most barrel seems to be 24 inch max and most efficient 22 inch for powder burn. What do the cast boolit ballisticians say? I might savvy a little european deer stalker rifle, who knows what I might come up with. Depends which way I sit on stump and meditate.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you’re rifle is not original you can start to experiment. If it is original it’s a shame to change it. Otherwise, I am a great fan of the 6.5 mm x55 Swedish. Maybe the existing barrel can be modified for it.

You say you don’t want a goose gun. What do you want to use it for?

Boolit Grand Master

The long barrels weren't always for improved ballistics but might have been to gain a longer sight radius which makes iron sight much more accurate. On a bolt action hunting rifle that's scoped in a non magnum caliber 22"-24" in a contour that balances and gives desired weight with the action being used. A military action may be 3-6 ozs heavier than a sporting action. On a true single shot like a number 1 with the short action 26: ends up being about same as the bolt with 24" barrel in overall length

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    260 Remington on that action might work. I have one with a28” 1 1/4” bull barrel on it,talk about no recoil! Good luck whatever way ya go!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    I have a 6.5x55 and a 6.5-06 and some day would like to get a 24 inch Grendel barrel for the AR. So I am leaning towards a super lite weight deer stalking gun or fun paper puncher. I guess I will hack it off around 24 inches to start with. I really despise long barrelled guns but I can change, I guess. I read somewhere these guns were not used in battle and many of the carcano japs were kept in warehouses. The bore in this one is pristine. Receiver and bottom metal look pristine also. I only have the barreled action.
    Look twice, shoot once.

The 6.5 x 50 Japanese is a good cartridge that will do anything the Grendel will. The Arisaka is one of the strongest actions ever made. I rebarreled a Type 38 to 8x57 Mauser and it worked great but was limited to deep seated or lightweight bullets. If the Mum is present, you might be better off selling the barreled action to an Arisaka enthusiast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    If you believe you might use a bayonet, the long barrel might be preferred. I think Hatcher(?) talked about barrels as long as 34" adding velocity to the 30-06. F-class shooters use 30" barrels for the extra velocity. The 1000 yard benchrest guys also use 30" plus. The LAW OF DIMINISHING RETURNS gets you. For hunting(carrying) in the open(antelope) 24 or even 26 is OK. Timber 20-22 is better. Under 22" muzzle blast becomes an issue with most cartridges. If it will be used for the range and fun, leave it. Unless you just GOTS TO CHANGE IT, there are other inexpensive rifles to hunt/shoot with similar ballistics.Usage makes quite a difference - infantry - 30" maybe, cavalry - changed to 20-24", motorized -shorter still, aircraft - even shorter. New improved propellants, higher pressures also shortened barrels. Under 22" is still noisy/blasty.