WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: What are you all using for 351 WSL?

Boolit Master

What are you all using for 351 WSL?

Are you using a dedicated vintage mould?
    A dedicated custom mould?
    A .355-.358 run of the mill mould sized down?

A buddy just picked up a nice 1907 and is wondering which way to go. He’s an accuracy guy and though I’m sure this isn’t the most accurate platform out there he’s leaning towards a custom mould so he doesn’t have to size down a ton.

Thanks!

Lyman made a mold for that caliber. I don’t remember to # right off the bat but mine was a single cavity.

Banned

I started with the old Ideal 350293, which was designed for the .35 WSL. I used a .352 sizer a gentleman on the site made for me and plain based as checks. Shot OK, but got weird flyers I later learned was probably from the gas checks falling off. I also used 2400 for powder, because it was what I had but it worked well enough for woods deer hunting.

A while back, I got a mold for the 350447, a light bullet designed for the .348 Winchester. Turns out the dropped a hair over .352 and with a real gas check shank, and 4227 powder, it shoots better in the limited testing I've done so far. Should be a lot better hunting bullet.

I should do more with my 1907, they are neat rifles.

Boolit Master
    Saw a beautiful one for sale Tuesday...$399.99....

In looking at the specs on the cartridge, would it be possible to form brass out of the new Winchester .350?

Bob

Banned

Several threads on how to form brass for it on here. Usually, it's made from .357 Maximum, though some guys have had success with cut down .223. I just bought proper brass, Jamison was making it a few years ago.

It's a more capable cartridge than many give it credit for. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...317823-351-wsl

Boolit Master
    A friend of mine hunted with one for many years when he was a kid and on up into his 30s... He then went to .308, the .350 RM and back to .308 till just before he died last year....

Only got to shoot his rifle once and it was pretty cool....

Was able to find him enough commercially loaded ammo that we never did load for it...

Bob

Boolit Master
    Lyman Cast Book recomends using gaschecks fir the .348 Win on 351 boolits. I have wondered why 38/357 gc's wouldnt size down and stay on. 348 checks cant be that easy to find.
    Last edited by 3leggedturtle; 05-06-2019 at 05:10 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 3leggedturtle View Post
    Lyman Cast Book recomends using gaschecks fir the .348 Win on 351 boolits. I have wondered why 38/357 gc's wouldnt size down and stay on. 348 checks cant be that easy to find.
    Graf's has Hornady .348 gas checks in stock now as does Midsouth. They weren't hard for me to find, at the rate I am shooting my 1907, the box I have should last me a while.