Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Buffalo arms

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va

Buffalo arms

This has been a while back but pulled them out yesterday and got mad all over. Purchased some 8x50r Austrian brass or i thought. What i got was 7.62x54 brass trimmed down. A box of 20 cost $33.60 plus shipping. No where does it say this brass needs to be formed. Could have bought the brass myself and trimmed it actually i did and got 100 rounds cheaper than they sold 20. I wrote a review but it has not been posted what a surprise.

Boolit Master
    I shoot 7.62x54r RUSSIAN with cast bullets in my 8x50r or 8x56r with no adverse effect and reload them in my 8x50r or 8x56r dies. i bought a box of 20 empty 8x50r brass from them and they were 7.62x54r. with the head stamp still on them. i don't trim mine down be cause they are about 1/6th of an inch short, after fire forming, no problem.

I know that i can fire form the but the way the add reads they should already be formed. Do you have both the 8x50r and the 8x56. What load do you use to fire form them i have 120 rounds to do.

Moderator Emeritus

I am sorry to read of your disappointment, and resultant challenges. I had a Lyman furnace ordered, which turned out to be a "back-order" -- I rang them, and they most effortlessly canceled the Lyman, and shipped me immediately my RCBS Pro-melt. I recently bought one of their custom moulds, being both delighted with the quicker-than-suggested wait time, and the quality of the mould itself. Have you rung them with your displeasure? Based on my ordering/dealing with them, I'd be most surprised if they were not both understanding, and perhaps most important -- accommodating to you. Their number is (208) 263-6953.

I emailed them back when i originally bought them and wrote a review the review never appeared. It has bee a while since i bought them its just that i was getting my stuff out to fire form some 8x50r and it just irritated me all over again. When you pay in the neighborhood of 1.70 per round i didn't expect to have to form them.

Boolit Buddy

I've always had good luck with BACO and have shot with the owner a few times, good people.

Their description page says it is made from 7.62X54R

https://www.buffaloarms.com/8x50r-au...-8x50raustrian

Boolit Master
    RED BEAR- i load 12 grs. of UNIQUE, then COW, and push the case mouth int a bar of IVORY SOAP, hold it up in the air, this increases pressure and fire form.yes i have both 8x50r and 8x56r.

Yes there page says it is made from 7.62x54 not that they are selling you 7.62x54. That is what most use to make the round. When it says it is made from this i expected it to be made not just send me some 7.62x54 brass that had been trimmed. They make dies to form the 8x50r from this brass when they said i was buying 8x50r brass made from 7.62x54 . I expected 8x50r brass am i wrong.

Hey almost forgot thanks toot for the info. I thought i was buying a 8x56 as thats what caliber i was told it was this was mid 80's . Got around to making chamber cast and got a surprise it was 8x50r. Finally got it out and started getting everything ready to load. Can't wait.

Boolit Bub
    I've had the same problems with the Buffalo but still have obsolete cartridge needs so I started ordering ONE EACH of the cartridges I needed (and a few singles that I wanted samples of) before spending the big bucks for 20 or so. Before shipping got too high this saved me some money and additional work on what I bought.

Also bought a two die set for 8X58R from them and the seater die didn't have a seating stem in it. They were skeptical but finally took my word for it and sent a replacement stem.

Try gad custom cartridges. I could have bought the loaded ammo for the same price.