RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: New shop update

Boolit Grand Master

2 walls sided today.

Boolit Grand Master

Now have 3 1/2 walls sided 2 windows are in. Finish front wall, trim. 1 window, and walk in doors to go. Then the 3 rollups and openers. The front s foing a little slower having to work around garage doors window and walk in door

Boolit Grand Master

Well building is pretty much done. 3 pieces of siding to go when it comes in a very little trim. Windows and entry doors are hung. Somewhere Monday to Wednesday next week the sub contractor will hang the 3 roll up doors and openers. A little grade work around the outside to go.

Boolit Grand Master

Never done this - how long do you have to wait for the floor to support your machines?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

I believe the floor would support them now but Im giving it a couple months since it will be releasing moisture heavy for awhile. May save some rust issues

Boolit Master
    My buddy who digs and pours footers said pole barns now have to drill and put rebar thru the holes so the footer/slab pour is over the rebar to prevent uplift during high wind conditions. New code in NC.

Boolit Grand Master

I had never seen this before and asked about it when the contractor did it. On each pole they nailed a 12" length of 2x4 90* to the pole and centered. about 6" up from the bottom. He said it was to help keep poles down and seated until ground had re settled around poles.

Boolit Grand Master

Today they did the outside grading and the gravel approach driveway. Looks good and in the track chair no bumps or jars going in and out. Tomorrow the roll up doors are supposed to be installed. Thursday the missing siding is to be here

Boolit Grand Master

Soon the real work starts emptying the trailers of the stuff and putting away organized and where it can be found. Then bringing in the "new equipment" setting leveling and wiring for everything. Im debating on shelving cabinets or drawer units. This is going to be a big project just in itself

Moderator Emeritus

I went with a 4x8 wall of hanging plastic bins for nuts and bolts and screws... can grab the containers you need and bring them to the project... plus 2 8' tall x8'w x 2'd shelves setup facing each other, one set along the wall the other 3 feet away making an aisle. Add some framing and a floor on top to stash bulky light stuff like rolls of insulation... on the back of the shelf facing the room I added plywood and pegboard to hang stuff like spare mower/snowblower belts, spare mower parts etc... and oddball tools I don't use often.

Boolit Grand Master

Today the 3 garage doors went in Went good and the doors move freely and easily. The one guy was really working set the tension on the torsion springs LOL. I get going I may make them a set of bars 3 ft long ( a foot longer) the added leverage may be a help. The chain fall openers are great for me, I roll up to them and grab front or back chain and pull door opens or closes eaily and I don't have to unfasten the seat belt or bend over in the chair. My old garage doors when I bent over and grabbed the handle pulled it pulled me out of the chair and on my face. 1 8' X 10' door and 2 10' X 10' doors. The were short 1 piece of door seal so will come back and do the 8ft door next week

Banned
    Knowing a bit of your skills, it is exciting to see you are getting a new place to work/play. I hope you get to make everything you have ever wanted with this new shop.

Boolit Grand Master

Well its really coming together now. Building is to be done Monday. Hopefully get the occupancy permit later next week. My offer on the shop equipment has been accepted. A very nice Nardinni 16x40 lathe digital readout and coolant. A 12x40 lathe nice clean machine Both lathes have d series chuck mounts. A 9x48 series 1 head Bridgeport that's a good clean machine has power feed and digital readout. A 6X18 surface grinder. This is a friends shop one man retirement shop. He bought the lathes new one in 80 the nardinni in 85. The Bridgeport was bought used. The Surface grinder is old but accurate and will do the job asked of it. The big plus is Im getting all the tooling with them chucks, steady rests, dividing heads, rotary tables, both lathes have aloris tool holders and 5-6 tool holders with them. 3 full sets of 5c collets round by 1/64, square and hex. The grinder has a lot of various wheels with most mounted on hubs. several 3 jaws 4 jaws and a 6 jaw chuck for the lathes along with faceplates. Several of the newer style indexers one collet one with a vee block and home made tail stock for them. The smaller lathe has a 1 3/8 spindle bore the Nardinni is 1 1/2". Also angle plates towers/blocks vises kurt Bridgeport and home made. As I said a full collection of tooling. As far as cutters I haven't been shown that yet but cutters are expendible tools. also a set of #3 taper shank drills from 1" to 2" by 1/16ths

Boolit Master
    I'd get all my equipment set and then fill in around them.

I went to a fella's house that has all kinds of equipment. Uses rolling drawer cabinets with plenty of labels. Puts what you need where and when you need it.

Boolit Grand Master

Im planning on a small hydraulic die cart for moving what I need where I need it but the trick is getting everything where you ( I) know where it is to get it when you need it. Im still working on this. Considering my wood working tools are also going in this room 2 saws a wood lathe and buffing machine, hand tools and fixtures this is a big job. Drawers and labels may work for some things shelves or cabinets for others. I need to get some chalk lines down and then see what's available.

I never pushed my tool box around the shop to much work. I grabbed what I need for the machine I was running and went to work. On most jobs a 12" crescent wrench, calipers and a mike or 2 covered it.

Boolit Grand Master

All the machines will be set before the inner walls are put up. Its so much easier to move equipment with out walls. same equipment will be set then wiring done.

Banned
    When you get the walls up can I put a cot in the corner and live there?

Boolit Grand Master

Traffer while Im sure your a Great guy, That cot is mine not sure at my age I want a male room mate LOL

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Traffer while Im sure your a Great guy, That cot is mine not sure at my age I want a male room mate LOL
    Does that mean that if you were younger(older) you might consider---------?
    R.D.M.

Boolit Grand Master

Not really, was being polite there

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast