RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: New shop update

Boolit Master
    I'm jealous! A 40 foot wide building here would be 10 feet underground, 10 feet on stilts. LOL

Good luck with the project!
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    My basement shop is rather small, but several years ago, I replaced the old 4" fluorescent lights with LED tubes. Amazingly brighter. I had a 2-light fixture over my 2nd bench, which I initially had 60 watt CFL bulbs, which I replaced with 60 watt LEDs for somewhat better brightness. Last week, Costco had a 2-light bank of LED bulbs on sale for ~$20. I bought one and installed it "just to see". GREAT increase in brightness! If I were building a shop, I would not install anything but LED lighting. The idea of mounting the lights at about 8' for an auto shop is experience speaking! The color rating of 4-5000 Kelvin is very good for work areas, and for general husehold, for that matter!

Check out Hyperion LEDs on Amazon. Priced right, no ballasts, long lasting, bright. Can get 4' or 8'. We replaced all our fluorescents 2 years ago. I was constantly replacing ballasts and bulbs. Haven't touched these. Plus instant on even in freezing weather.

Boolit Master

Early in the thread I had just installed LED lights in my garage. They have completely met expectations and I’ll buy more as we expand the garage and shop.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

New shop update

Couldn't find my old thread where I posted the original start so here's the newest update. Talked to the contractor today Barring rain tomorrow the old garage starts coming down. A couple trees need to be removed and some grade work done. Once garage is down and layed out then the grading. Shouldn't be to long now. was it ever a job cleaning the old buildings out to do this after roughly 30 years of storing things.

Boolit Grand Master

Looking forward to hearing more about this and maybe seeing pictures. I kind of wish I could build another one and incorporate the things I didn't think about originally. I have wired many metal farm shops and the size and space make me jealous!

Boolit Grand Master

Im really looking forward to the dedicated shop room Never had that before. All the tooling ( wood working only then) sat against the walls and was moved out when needed. The new building will give a shop the size of the old garage and a slightly bigger garage area. Plus 2 ft more height. Where the shop room is Ill cover the rafters and insulation to provide some over head storage area also. So in reality Ill have a 20X30 shop area. a 30x40 garage area and a 20x40 overhead storage area. Way more room than I had. Wont know what to do with machinery set and ready to go plus the addition of the metal working equipment.

Moderator Emeritus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

That's the one I was looking for, JonB

Moderator Emeritus

When I built new I went 24x30 foot... wish I could have gone bigger LOL fills up FAST especially with an F150 taking up space...

Banned
    If I had the option one thing I would change in my little shop is the grinding equipment and welder would be in a separate room .
    Both the bench and surface grinder make a mess of everything in the shop with any real use .
    The only reason I'd include the welder with them is that welding and grinding go hand in hand .

The filth is terrible , you get tired of having it clean it off of machines
    And once it's in your shop you'll live with it forever .

Boolit Buddy
    When I built in 2006, I made the mistake of making the small shed the heated and cement floor one(30x36) but I should have made the bigger one, the heated one(40x52) as I need more room, but too late now.

Boolit Grand Master

Well Im going to 40X50X10 ( to bottom of trusses). The old garage was 30X23x8 so a little over double the room. Last week I turned the garage over to the contractor and its rained every day since LOL.
    Im planning on welding area having a sliding partitions ( like the privacy sheet in hospitals) When welding I can pull it around to seal off area and this will shield arc from people walking in and make the ventilation much more effective do to the smaller area. I may have to watch this when using gas flux that could be pulled away.

As far as grinding equipment disc grinders and such will be done in the welding area, the pedestal grinders and surface grinder will be out in the shop area where needed for sharpening tools and use. I may put a coolant system on them. On a pedestal grinder the spray misters will go along way to knocking down dust and grit. On the surface grinder a flood of coolant saves burns and wheel loading along with keeping grit and dust down. Done right the pedestal set ups coolant can be reused. a hose into the catch container covered with fine cloth strains the grinding ash and such from it. then when needed pour back into mister. Over a day or 2 what doesn't get strained out settles to the bottom of the container. A plus to this is when you need lapping compound its in the bottom of the coolant can here.

Boolit Grand Master

Talked to the contractor tonight and He was going to get started demolishing the garage tomorrow as it seemed to have dried if enough. I no more than hung up the phone andit started to sprinkle and a light rain for about 20 mins then rain off and on all night. Just the way my luck goes.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    When I built new I went 24x30 foot... wish I could have gone bigger LOL fills up FAST especially with an F150 taking up space...
    ]

Nature hates a vacuum, and seeks to fill it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Well things went better today. Contractor showed up with equipment this morning. Bobcat a rough surface long reach fork truck and a escacator. Garage is down and almost all hauled away. I was told to expect the building delivery in 1 1 1/2 weeks. Should go quick now.

Boolit Grand Master

Contractor just called and tomorrow morning between 7:30 and 8:00 the new building is being delivered. Wonder if they can get the complete 40X50 X 10 building on one semi? Its moving along now.
    Last edited by country gent; 05-12-2019 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Wonder if they can get the complete 30X50 X 10 building on one semi? Its moving along now.
    Probably so unless they hit a weight limitation, which is doubtfull.

The covering panels should ship flat like a big stack of plywood.

The frame pieces should all lay on the trailer like a bunch of pipes would.

A big box of hardware brackets & bolts, and that's about all there is to it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Glad to hear you're getting new shop, i hope you get it set like you want. I hope some day to have bigger shop, man I could fill up a 100ft x 100ft fast! Of course I'd never go in the house, cause I'd be working in the shop!

Banned
    Remember, If you don't post pictures, It never happened

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast