Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: New shop update

Boolit Master

3 rows of 3 of these will light up a 20x30 very well. white painted walls will help with any lighting also.https://www.menards.com/main/lightin...191422&ipos=24

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    3 rows of 3 of these will light up a 20x30 very well. white painted walls will help with any lighting also.https://www.menards.com/main/lightin...191422&ipos=24
    If you think you will need x number. double it . you won't regret it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hdskip View Post
    If you think you will need x number. double it . you won't regret it.
    if you double the number of them in a 20x30 shop, youll burn out your eyeballs lol. 3 rows of 4 maybe, but not double. i generally agree though, hard to go wrong with more light.

Boolit Grand Master

My shop is 30 X 30 with an 11 ft eve height and about 13 ft to the center. I used six 8ft fluorescent fixtures over the main floor and another 8 ft fixture over the work bench. I have plenty of light for general projects but often use supplemental light for special projects. The original lights were T-12's, high out put and low temp. These are obsolete now and have been rewired for T-8 bulbs. When my stock of spare bulbs and ballast are gone I'll convert them to LED. As a retired electrician I recommend against the fixtures found at the big box stores. They are often lighter and more cheaply made than a good quality fixture like a Lithonia. Switching them by rows is a good idea.

Boolit Master

+X on the LED's. I don't have them in my shop/casting/reloading shed. If I live long enough I'll replace the present T12 fixtures with LED fixtures. I really don't expect that to happen. When I built the shop, a friend who has a lot of commercial buildings was replacing all the lights in his buildings with T8's(may have moved to LED's by now). I got a couple of boxes of 4' T12's from him. I've only used about a half dozen so far, about 15 years. I realize that I could save on the electric bill but would never recoup my money on replacing the fixtures.

We remodeled the fellowship hall at church and had all LED fixtures put in. Excellent lighting!
    John
    W.TN

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    SNIP...

The old incandescent blubs use a lot more power (bad) and produce a lot of heat (bad in the summer, good in the winter). However there's another advantage to the old incandescent bulbs and that's a lack of RF interference for some radio gear, particularly AM radio. The ballasts on fluorescent fixtures are the worst for creating interference but even some of the LED fixtures produce a lot interference. Because of that, I keep a few incandescent lights around the bench for the times I want to listen to a radio while working. Overall, LED is the way to go in terms of light output/power consumed/heat produced.
    While I don't have scientific evidence, I have bought several different inexpensive 120volt LED bulbs from different Asian sources on ebay, and every one of those created interference with AM radio (I am a big AM radio fan)...BUT, LED bulbs that I purchased locally, that have a USA brand name like Sylvania, DID NOT create interference with AM radio. It took me a while, But I have replaced all of the Asian RF interference makers. Also, some will produce immediate light when it'd cold, -20ºF...and some LED's are slow to produce light, like the Corkscrew florescent bulbs...Again, the Sylvania produced light when cold. FYI, I am a fan of the Sylvania bulbs.

I suspect they are all made in China, but maybe some American manufacturer contracts specify that FCC rules are followed...Just my guess...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    LED's, more lights on the same circuits, As you get older more light makes a difference when doing fine or close work. Had old T8 fluorescents in barns, garages, took a long time to reach full brightness when cold. The ability to get more light out the circuits is most appealing to me.

Boolit Master

I started switching to LED around 5 years ago first in house hallways then main lights as my fluorescent would die , wired outlets to ceiling in both reloading room and in casting , then as I built shop I wired outlets to rafters to plug in to . I am putting more spaced between and on other half of shop, all the outlets are wired to its own switch and second outlet in circut on rafter is on same switch as the 4 ft plug in shop lights have pull chains . Turn on one or both I like the idea of having more and some above bench as has been mentioned as you age you need the light . Put in a few with bluetooth speakers for playing music from phone , it can be ok or annoying when it dings when it senses your phone .

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    While I don't have scientific evidence, I have bought several different inexpensive 120volt LED bulbs from different Asian sources on ebay, and every one of those created interference with AM radio (I am a big AM radio fan)...BUT, LED bulbs that I purchased locally, that have a USA brand name like Sylvania, DID NOT create interference with AM radio. It took me a while, But I have replaced all of the Asian RF interference makers. Also, some will produce immediate light when it'd cold, -20ºF...and some LED's are slow to produce light, like the Corkscrew florescent bulbs...Again, the Sylvania produced light when cold. FYI, I am a fan of the Sylvania bulbs.

I suspect they are all made in China, but maybe some American manufacturer contracts specify that FCC rules are followed...Just my guess...
    I don't listen to much AM but this is good info. I wonder if they will effect a digital scale? I've had a few LED bulbs that failed much sooner than I expected. All of these were medium base screw in types. I've not become a full fan of them yet!

Moderator Emeritus

Lightman,
    The only LEDs that failed for me, were some Cheap Asian Ebay bulbs that I bought 4 years ago for ceiling fan lights, they had the small candelabra base. They ran pretty HOT. When I ordered them, the comparable ones locally were crazy expensive...Anyway, I had 6 go bad in about 30 days from install (two ceiling fans, each had 3 light fixtures). I ordered some more LEDs from ebay, these were the "COB" style (instead of bulb shape) with candelabra base, those failed quick also. After that, I spent the big bucks at the local big box store for Sylvania's, I think they were $7 each (Ebay bulbs were less than $2). But they are still working today, 3.5 years later...and no RF interference.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

Thanks for that info. Also a big fan of radio. I've got a LED in a fixture near a radio that doesn't produce interference for about the first 3-4minutes but does after being on for more than 4 minutes. I can't find a location of manufacture anywhere on that bulb but I suspect it's Asian made. (it was cheap). It's switched separately in the fixture so that I can turn it off but it took a while to isolate it as the source of the interference.
    Because I do listen to AM radio a lot, it's good to know there are U.S.A. made LED bulbs that don't produce interference. The life of a LED bulb is long enough that it's worth it to me to purchase the better quality bulbs if they're available.

Boolit Grand Master

Don't forget the old adage, If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. I bought the cheap Walmart LEDs and they were done in less than a month.
    They were originally bright and refreshing but quickly started flickering and failed. I had the same luck with the cheap corkscrew fluorescents. We spent enough extra for these to have lighted the home with incondecents for years. Seems every new technology is quickly embraced by those intent on profits at our expence.
    So far I have been impressed with the 120v LED 4' bulbs I had several old-style fluorescents that needed ballasts. I had them replaced for less than ballast prices and boy what a difference. Instant on and bright beyond expatation. While bright they are easy on the eyes and make fine print readable to these old eyes.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Amazon has really good deals on led lights I got 4 bar lights for 50$

Boolit Buddy

I built a 24 x 40 building this past summer used these am very happy with them $25 a pop
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Boolit Grand Master

LED's all the way. Are they bright enough? Towns are replacing traditional streetlights with them so that should answer your question. Just watch which ones you get in the Kelvin range.

We moved to the corkscrew ones and then to the led's on all the fixtures around the house except for a couple like the droplight I have in my well house to keep the waterline from freezing. One 40w does that nicely.

Very happy with them once the correct light range was found. Daylight in the hall, reloading room etc for brightness, mid range for the others for a less harsh light. The bright daylight ones are like an operating room. I have a strip of mini led's across the top of my casting bench and it's plenty bright for that.
    Last edited by jonp; 12-07-2018 at 07:16 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    30x30x16’ metal building, I have eight porcelain screw in bulb holders with LED’s and a ceiling fan with an LED, it’s plenty bright in here for me.
    Attachment 231494
    This is a very easy and cheap way to get good lighting. We are replacing 8-8FT florescent fixtures in my buddies garage like this. The plastic porcelain style fixtures are less than $1.50ea. The ceiling boxes are $1ea. GE 75W equivalents run about $6ea or EcoSmarts run about $4ea and grab yourself a light bulb changer for about $25

Boolit Master
    My Costco has the 4' LED Shop lights for $20 again. I bought 4 today.

I've had a couple for 2 years now. They really light up the tool shed. Cool White 4000K
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 12-07-2018 at 11:54 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Here is a good source of 4 ft LED bulbs. They have single bulbs as well as fixtures.
    https://greenlightdepot.com/collections/4ft-led-tubes

A note on LED 4 ft bulbs - they are of two main types for retrofitting to existing fixtures. Either remove old ballast and wire direct to 120 vac wiring, or the type that requires the existing ballast to work making it easy to replace the old bulb with new LED bulb. I MUCH prefer the type that does NOT require ballast - just something else to go wrong. Like most other folks I like the 5,000K for the bright white lighting.

The bulbs I ordered from these folks did not cause RF interference - I do have some LED spot lights that do. Those I must turn off when using HAM radio.

Banned

did my pole barn with 4 foot ballasted flouresents and bought a case of extra bulbs so im stuck with them for a while yet but if I was doing it again leds would be a no brainer.

Banned

I had some of the first batch (I didn't buy they were given away free at my wifes workplace) fail in a few months. I replaced them with ones I bought and all of them are going on two years now.
    Lightman,
    The only LEDs that failed for me, were some Cheap Asian Ebay bulbs that I bought 4 years ago for ceiling fan lights, they had the small candelabra base. They ran pretty HOT. When I ordered them, the comparable ones locally were crazy expensive...Anyway, I had 6 go bad in about 30 days from install (two ceiling fans, each had 3 light fixtures). I ordered some more LEDs from ebay, these were the "COB" style (instead of bulb shape) with candelabra base, those failed quick also. After that, I spent the big bucks at the local big box store for Sylvania's, I think they were $7 each (Ebay bulbs were less than $2). But they are still working today, 3.5 years later...and no RF interference.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast