RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: New shop update

Boolit Grand Master

Well today we moved the bench out from the wall into an open area. sanded facers and front and back boards faces. With 80 grit first with belt sander ( this brought dowels ends down to a smooth finish) the a 1/4 sheet finish sander. Also 80 grit. Gave a coat of linseed oil, Tomorrow will sand down with finish sander and 120 grit and another coat of oil. Bench is looking good. Son moved it fairly easy listening to dad. Pocked it up with a pinch bar onto 2 2X4 blocks under each foot. This raised it up to where the lowered die cart would slide under and it was used to lift the bench. Then rolled out where we could work on it.

We also put the belt guard back on the surface grinder, And rotated to head on the Bridgeport back upright. Sorted thu some more of the tooling today. I have to make a cover for the wheel guard on the surface grinder.

Boolit Grand Master

Its getting colder now and I just don't do as well in the cold as I used to. Went out yesterday to tinker around and only made an hour or so before I had to come in. Shelving came yesterday ( finally). Last night I ordered a Match diesel fueled heater 215000 btu heater ( salamander style) to take the edge off the cold. LOL. Its rated for 5300 square feet. Its delivery date is Wednesday. Now to get the shelving assembled in to 3 shelf half units and things organized then frame the inside 2 walls up. Im getting close to wiring up everything.

Boolit Buddy
    You better get that heater ready, as soon as it arrives, as i think we will be sending some pretty cold weather your way, by next weekend. LOL. Looking good, shop wise.

Boolit Grand Master

Its supposed to be here wensday. need to get some kerosene or diesel for it still.

Boolit Master
    Yep, one thing leads to another, leads to another. Figure the priorities and do them one at a time till you can't do no more and move on to the next. Sounds like my normal day. I get paid for it though.

Boolit Grand Master

My pay here will be the shop Ive always wanted when its done. Its getting closer and closer

Boolit Grand Master

Son and I went Wednesday morning and got the rest of the stock, His little Sonoma pick up hit the stops when he fot in to move load forward and stack it better LOL. I also asked the SIL of the friend about the cover guard for the grinding wheel on the surface grinder, drew him a rough sketch of it. He went over to the other building and he found it so I don't have to make one now. Just install it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Its getting colder now and I just don't do as well in the cold as I used to. Went out yesterday to tinker around and only made an hour or so before I had to come in. Shelving came yesterday ( finally). Last night I ordered a Match diesel fueled heater 215000 btu heater ( salamander style) to take the edge off the cold. LOL. Its rated for 5300 square feet. Its delivery date is Wednesday. Now to get the shelving assembled in to 3 shelf half units and things organized then frame the inside 2 walls up. Im getting close to wiring up everything.
    Don't run diesel in that heater, you may never get the stink to go away. Clear kero would be the best.

Boolit Grand Master

Today we assembled the heater when it came and poured 10 gallons of kerosene in it. Fired right up opened 8' door 10" or so for ventilation and the heater brought the building up to 60* pretty quickly. Most of the building was warmer since its thermostat is in the back part of the heater and heat is pushed out in front of it. Did very good job on the first run. Then we assembled the shelving into 4 3 shelf units 42" tall. This gave 3 shelves 14" apart and the lowest 12" or so off the floor. A lot of storage room now. Moved the surface grinder to a better spot and made room for the work bench along the one wall, between the windows.

Boolit Grand Master

Getting ready to frame the 2 inner walls and ceiling in. long wall is 30' I hoping to do this in 2 sections one 20' and a 10' "removeable" section. The short front wall is 16 ft with a sliding pocket door in it Roughly 10' tall. Im trying to figure how many anchors to the floor will be needed.

Im thinking the removeable section may make moving machines in or out easier. a couple panels and un bolt it slide out and a 10X10 opening to work with. This will be easier to do while framing and building right off than at a later date. The pocket door is 8' wide and 10' tall but will be limited by a 10' walkway and the floor runners for the door.

Im just not sure how many anchors for the long wall and short wall each.

Boolit Grand Master

Well today I figured out what I needed and ordered the materials for the e inside walls and ceiling. Once these are in place then the electricians can come in and do their magic. Studs are every 16". ceiling joists will be 2 X6s. Walls will be finished in 1/4" plywood. Also ordered the door tracks and rollers for the pocket door, these are rated for u to a 450lb door. So I have a lot of leeway building the door now. Got the capsule style "anchors" we used at work, Drill hole drop capsule in push stud in with hammer drill rotating it to depth. Let sit for45 min to an hour and tighten nuts. These should work well and be quick and simple.

In Remembrance

Well you learn something new all the time, I had never heard of capsule style anchors or chemical anchors, thats interesting so I looked them up.
    When we put studs in the floor where I used to work we would drill completely thru the floor. This way when someone on a lift truck hit the studs or poles and sheared off a a stud we just hammered a new one right on top of the old one and tightened the nut. Eventually the old ones were pushed thru and into the dirt under the floor.
    Last edited by lead-1; 11-13-2019 at 01:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Moderator Emeritus

I never heard of them either. I am finishing my walls with drywall then pegboard over everything. Sounds like you are getting there. Bet ya can't wait.

Boolit Master
    On my big shop when I needed to anchor something, would drill appropriate size hole, in concrete slab, melt some (Sulphur) to a liquid (stay upwind) pour in dry hole then insert piece of all thread. Sulphur will expand when cooled.

Boolit Grand Master

Wood, nails, door tracks and rollers were all delivered today. everything but the chemical anchors. Door tracks and rollers are rated for up to a 450 lb door. SO pocket door should roll pretty easy when done.

Moderator Emeritus

I still think you should adopt me. That is a garage dreams are made off.

Boolit Grand Master

Mr. Wolf , While not making dreams I am fulfilling one with this shop building. I have been planning wanting this for 30+ years. Im now in a place to make it a reality. The old garage ws smaller (2 1/2) cars and open. For years in hot and cold weather I tinkered sweating and freezing. when Im done here the shop will be enclosed, insulted well, heated and air conditioned. It will have a full metal shop and pretty well equipped wood shop in the room. I know have a garage area slightly bigger than the old garage and my shop Ive been planning. Im really looking forward to "driving the last Nail" and being able to put all the new equipment to use.

Its been a long process. starting with cleaning out a garage with 30 years of accumulation in it. The removing the old building . putting up the new building ( here I learned a lot watching and helping). Having the lathes mill and grinder moved in ( this required the aid of riggers / millwrights, the nardinni lathe was 3500 lbs stripped down). Building a new work bench for in the room (pics are in this thread ), Now framing up the 2 interior walls 1 with a sliding pocket door 10' high and 8' wide.

Left to go is getting electricians to wire room and building, Feting furnace man in for furnace and Air conditioner install ( on a 17' X 30' room I think wall if ceiling minted will be fine). Insulate room and then finish out side of the inside 2 walls. I have a ways to go yet but hopefully by late spring will be done. Almost a full year start to finish. But when Done Im going to have a very nice shop and garage that is very well equipped

I still need to find a welder and a saw, along with some mill tooling (dividing head, rotary table)

Boolit Master
    As to welder Miller is the way to go.

Boolit Grand Master

Im looking at a Millermatic? multi purpose that does mig tig and arc both flux cores and gas. For the saw Im thinking the dake workmatic vertical, would like a doall or marvel rolling saw but they bring big bucks well used even.

We had miller welders in the shops I worked they are good most were a power supply with mig and arc or tig and arc both on them. The weld booth in the tool room had a miller with all 3 and water cooled.

Boolit Master
    You can’t go wrong with a Miller. They cost more but one thing you don’t want to skimp on.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920 LastLast