Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: New shop update

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Well set the old drill press up and plugged it in. went buzz buzz buzz then smoke. I hate to replace this drill press as its an old all cast iron industrial model. Table and head are both on dovetails its a heavy solid machine. I rebuilt it 10 - 15 years ago and its a heavy machine. I believe its an old Cincinnati machine. But a motor and upgrade is going to cost the bigger part of a new one. Im thinking this evening of a dc motor and vfd (?) controller for it. would give variable speeds and forward reverse also.
    People are using treadmill motors for this, they can usually be found for free.

https://www.google.com/search?q=trea...w=1280&bih=644

http://www.owwm.org/search.php?keywords=treadmill+drill

https://youtu.be/YHpue7DhT_o

Boolit Grand Master

I have considered the tread mill motors and set up Not sure what size motors they use power wise. My Trac chair uses 2 dc motors ( 1 hp each) one for each track not sure of the rpms they turn. It has plenty of power and goes pretty much anywhere thru anything. LOl

Watched the videos and didn't realize the treadmill motors were that strong 2 1/4 hp is a lot for most drill presses frames and mechanical set up.

Being a tool and die maker and working in trade Ive ran used some pretty big drill presses. Our radial arm at work was 25 hp and #5 morse taper. rpm range from 25 rpm up to 1500. Power feed on the spindle also. A good drill press is a real plus when working.

Boolit Master
    Hi Country Gent.Have you checked out the replacement motors that Grizzly has?Several types and volt and RPM ratings.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Grand Master

Decided today to order a grizzly radial arm floor model drill press. Found out it was curb delivery, and I had to take it off the truck from the road. So canceled the order. O loked the radial arm since I could clamp a part down and move the head to each hole instead of reclamping each time.

Boolit Grand Master

Yesterday son and I pulled the 3/4 hp motor off the wood lathe and transferred it to the drill press. Same motor frames so only difference was spacing the new one out to right distance. New wiring and switch also. ( Got rotation right 1st time around). Runs very smooth and quiet switch is now located where I can reach it from chair. 16 speeds. This old drill press is a very solid and heavy machine. Table adjusts up and down on a dovetail. Drill head also adjusts up and down on dovetail. Heavy well ribbed casting for base ram and overhead also has a coolant tank cast into back of base. Now to find where the chuck key got to when the old garage was emptied out, LOL. O did drill a 1 1/8' hole yesterday in pine with no stall, rpm drop grunts or groans, not the best test but gives an idea.

Boolit Grand Master

Drilled the first 3 2 bys today. Drilled first one and fastened stops to it its now the drill jig for the rest. Drilled 2 more and with 3 3/4 oak dowel rods assembled and drew down with 5 lengths of 1/2" threaded rod washers and nuts.
    Drill presses spindle travel is only around 3 1/4" so set up to slide under and get clear thru in 1 pass was close with the 3/4" long spade drill. I have a forester 3/4" with much shorter center point but its not long enough with out making an extension for it.
    The new motor and set up on the drill press is working just like it should and its cutting very clean and smooth, Doesn't stall or bog down even when Im heavy handed on the quill.
    After some research and such I believe this is an early Leland and Gifford machine. Probably from the 1920s or so.

Boolit Grand Master

Well drilled the first half of the bench's top boards today. 13 holes in each 8' long board. Old drill press did great Have them set on dowels and pulled together with threaded rod now to help pull some warp and twist out before gluing up. Big pile of shavings on the floor now. Extended a forester bit to get thru and its doing good.

Boolit Grand Master

5 boards left to go all the rest are drawn together with ready rod and sitting under the tension to pull the bows and twists out of them. When done tomorrow will let it set for a couple days drawn up tight, then glue up and let cure. Im also thinking of lightly dampening the wood with water once its all drawn together tight to help straighten and take set out. I still need to cut 6 boards down in the stack up to make the pockets for the legs to set in. Its getting closer and closer everyday

Boolit Grand Master

Well got even farther today. Glued up half of top. Cut the ends on the first 3 boards to form the leg pockets. came out really good. Glued the boards together on 2 dowels and used 5 pieces of ready rod to pull together. Everything seemed to fight me today. One of the dowels in the pre assembly swelled and made it a pain to get apart. I couldn't hang on to anything and the floor is a long ways down in the chair. LOL. I got half glued up and the other half apart and ready to glue so tomorrow will cut the last 3 boards to form the last leg pockets and glue together. Install the lock dowels on the dowels I can and then when glue cures install the rest of the dowels and locking dowels.

Once legs are pinned in place it will be useable, then true up the top flat rue and level. Clean up the edges and make the lower shelf.

Boolit Grand Master

Top is all glued together, leg mortises are done. Pulled together with 1/2" threaded rod top should have measured 35" wide . glued up and pulled together it measure 34 3/4". Nice and square parallel is good measuring the same across both ends and center. Top surface feels good and even, cant see it easily as its on the bottom right now. Now to install the lock dowels on the dowels in place then ream the holes glue in dowels and locks where the threaded rods are. Then set the legs in square and dowel. 4 ea 3/4" dowels in each leg along with glue in place.

Banned
    You are going to need an old wood burner in there and a pickle barrel so the boys have a place to hang out and shoot the breeze.

Boolit Grand Master

Along with a barrel if peanuts and nickel coke machine too. LOL I can remember the old elevator when we took grain in sitting around the pot belly stove eating peanuts and a nickel coke ( I think it was a 6 oz bottle) waiting for the weight slip to come out.

Boolit Grand Master

Fitted 1 more dowel today. Went to go over machinery at friends place. Im now owner of 2 lthes 14x30 Nardinni lathe with readout and coolant. This is a heavy duty machine. A clausing 12 X 40 lathe. Both have 3 and 4 jaws chucks with them and collets 5c round square and hex. Nardinni has a 6 jaw even. Nadini is d-4 spindle and the clausing is D-3. A bridgeport 9X48 mill with power feeds and difital x-y readouts. Kurt 8" vise full set of r-8 collets and other tooling. A small surface Grinder with an assortment of wheels and 6xas magnetic chuck, this is all hand powered no power feeds on table but a accurate nice machine. Seller threw in end mills, inserts, and things along with close to 1000 lbs ( estimated) of stock small ends and cut offs along with a few full lengths.
    We talked to the local rigger and looks like Tuesday or wensday he will move it here.
    Would have fitted last dowel when I got home but forgot to plugg in the chair last night and it was down to 1 bar , didn't want to be stranded so came in and will do tomorrow. Along with getting building ready for equipment and rigger.

Banned
    Looking forward to you getting it all ready. Then you can start making dies for me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Fitted 1 more dowel today. Went to go over machinery at friends place. Im now owner of 2 lthes 14x30 Nardinni lathe with readout and coolant. This is a heavy duty machine. A clausing 12 X 40 lathe. Both have 3 and 4 jaws chucks with them and collets 5c round square and hex. Nardinni has a 6 jaw even. Nadini is d-4 spindle and the clausing is D-3. A bridgeport 9X48 mill with power feeds and difital x-y readouts. Kurt 8" vise full set of r-8 collets and other tooling. A small surface Grinder with an assortment of wheels and 6xas magnetic chuck, this is all hand powered no power feeds on table but a accurate nice machine. Seller threw in end mills, inserts, and things along with close to 1000 lbs ( estimated) of stock small ends and cut offs along with a few full lengths.
    We talked to the local rigger and looks like Tuesday or wensday he will move it here.
    Would have fitted last dowel when I got home but forgot to plugg in the chair last night and it was down to 1 bar , didn't want to be stranded so came in and will do tomorrow. Along with getting building ready for equipment and rigger.
    I also am looking forward to seeing pictures. But more than that, I am overcome with admiration for someone more physically restricted than me, can use all that equipment skillfully. It almost makes me regret not acquiring some of those skills before I got too old.
    John
    W.TN

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I also am looking forward to seeing pictures. But more than that, I am overcome with admiration for someone more physically restricted than me, can use all that equipment skillfully. It almost makes me regret not acquiring some of those skills before I got too old.
    I don't know how old you are but I HEAR you. I am trying to learn and it is not easy. But as my wife says "it gives you something to do an makes you happy." I watched a couple of hours of this guy on youtube today and my head is almost exploding. I know enough electronics to just barely understand the concepts of what he is saying here. I told my wife "I wish I was 12 years old. There is so much you can learn on the internet now it is just amazing" My old mind just doesn't capture it the way it used to. I can enjoy it though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTs9GygRQ-U&t=655s

Boolit Grand Master

Well I grew up on a small farm. My grandfather and Dad were tool and die makers. My uncle and 1 cousin were die cast die makers Grandfather and uncle on moms side were machinists. Oh and when I medically retired I had a little over 35 years as a tool and die Maker. I started in the trade when I was 15 in a little 2 mn shop ( 2 old craftsman that knew their jobs). I also have done wood working as a hobby from making canes turning pen and pencil set to other things. I started when I was still full bore. I now do the same things only not always the same way. I also ask my son or son in law to change chucks or other heavy work. It cn be done I just have to think it thru more now, use more mind than back.
    Wednesday my son is coming out and well mount the legs on the bench and maybe the cross braces. Lay out the floor for the 2 walls and where machines will set, this way the rigger can place them close to where they need to be. And hopefully while he is here with his lift truck he can pick the new bench up and set it on its feet and place it in place also. I also ordered 2 56" pry bars today for fine tuning the equipment's placement. Also have several 2" lengths of pipe on hand if needed. Have an electrician a friend recommended coming out to see if he will wire the building and room Wednesday.
    I started this project with Dad, we were doing it together. He died a ear ago and Im going on with it. Im hoping to get the heavy machines close enough so a jib crane can be made to load chucks vises and fixtures on them. Im also planning on this new bench sitting in the center of the floor so I can work from all four sides.
    In reality Im just to stubborn to give up and quit. I miss making things and fixing them. I enjoy the craftsmanship and the work. It keeps me from sitting in front of the TV and may help me regain some mobility.

Moderator Emeritus

I have been in awe of what he can do and has done. Been working on my 30x32 pole barn for awhile now and still not done with framing out the interior yet.
    Ron

Vendor Sponsor

Pics I say pics
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master

Son and I got a lot done today. He came over and we glued and aligned the first 2 legs ion the top[s mortises. Went to bank and lawn mower shop for some parts along with Harbor freight. Got a 3lb dead blow mallet along with a flush cut saw. Looked at a die cart. Came home and unclamped the first 2 legs and glued in the second 2. cleaned up and rearranged things getting ready for the rigger. We then doweled legs in place. and glued cross braces and doweled them both long and short. Fitted last 4 long dowels in place thru the legs and top. Cut all the dowels flush with members. Bench is pretty much done now until we get it on its feet and can work the top down flat. Everything looks good as to level and square. He took a ic but it hasn't came thru yet.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast