WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: New shop update

Boolit Grand Master

Yesterday ran a "splinter" into ball of my left hand about 1 1/2" long ( felt like the whole tree), got it wrapped p wit salve on it today. But did some more work on legs and feet. Tomorrow will try out the new power planer and trim up the bottoms of the legs and attach feet to them. Worked a lot slower today and didn't wipe any boards off LOL. Geet are 3" thick X 5 1/2" wide X 6 1/2 long. Need to trim excess glue from legs and cut dowels down to match still.

Boolit Grand Master

Hand is feeling a lot better today. Got the feet glued and doweled in place yesterday. Today cleaned up excess glue ad fit tenons and wedges to mortises. Assembled legs today ( test). Leg braces were parallel, Didn't take much for the wedges to "lock" them in place. Had wedge sticking out on both sides so can be trimmed flush when glued doweled and ready. Legs were square to brace with little "adjustment" needed after wedge was set snug. tops of legs were level and good. Its looking to be a very solid stable bench. Cross braces are 9 1/2" above the floor just allowing my trac chairs trac to clear under them. Going to be a lot of sanding when its all together. May start on legs tomorrow.

Boolit Grand Master

It sounds like its coming together pretty nicely. Watch out for signs of infection from that splinter.

Boolit Grand Master

Today got all the legs cleaned up dowels cut flush and sanded down with 80 grit belt on the belt sander. WAs a chore running it from the trac chair. fitted the locking wedges a little better also. Insert brace and drive wedge in on bottom side to tighten Legs are almost dead square just setting the wedges now. Once glued and doweled will be very solid and strong joint. Brother brought the trailer over with the saws and drill presses in it today so once unloaded Ill be able to keep moving forward.

Boolit Grand Master

Would someone be willing to post a picture of the in process bench got me??? Its a jpg file and I can e-mail it to you

In Remembrance

country gent, check your private messages.

In Remembrance

country gent sent me a pic of his bench and the site will not let me upload it, I am well inside my attachment limit and I am able to upload other pics from my picture file. It is a jpg so that shouldn't be a problem.

In Remembrance

Ok, with some help from Camper64 we finally have a picture of country gent's bench as it is being built.

Here is a quote from country gent,
    "This is the pic of the bench in process upside down on the trestles. Its Going to be a heavy ( 500 lbs) and solid bench when done. boards grain in the top are reversed each board to counter act warp and bowing."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0907191603.jpg  
    Last edited by lead-1; 09-09-2019 at 10:41 PM. Reason: added quote

Boolit Master
    Ohhhhhh my That`s one beast of a build.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe,
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Grand Master

A big Thank-you to Lead-1 and Camper 64 for posting that pic for me. Its appreciated.
    Wood butcher its been a fun project so far will go faster now since the power saws and drill presses are back. Before it was hand saws hand drills and chisels. A lot slower going but fun to do.

I still have a few hundred 3/4" holes to drill in the tops boards for dowels and lock dowels. then to mount the legs in place. Then glue and draw together. I will use 3 dowels for alignment and threaded rods to pull together. The first board will be layed out and drilled then 1 end block and 2 blocks on top edge every board after will be set in and clamped then drilled to it. After laid up and dried clean up the open holes then insert dowels in place and drill for lock dowels. do the same with holes that have threaded rod in them last. 5 3/4" dowels will hold each leg in place. A lot of work but the finished bench will be worth it.

I may build a second set of trestles so when drilling I can go from 1 set to the other with each board making keeping them in correct order easier

Boolit Grand Master

Today worked on bench and didn't LOL. I made new stand for the miter saw that puts its table top at 35". Nothing fancy but it is useable and a better height for me in the trac chair. Also made a second set of trestles at 35" tall to work with the saw. The second set will also allow me to work from one to the other drilling and during glue up. I like these trestles better than saw horses since the legs don't stick out to catch my chair / feet. This set is all 2 x 4s with a replaceable 1x4 rail in the top. Now to get son to set the miter saw on the new stand.

Boolit Master
    Most impressive!

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    I’m impressed that your still so active being in that chair. I’ve got friends that are in that condition and the ones that have your drive and still active, seem to do so much better than the ones that don’t. Happy your finally in your shop and can keep a good out look on life.

Moderator Emeritus

I'm impressed as all get out on what he does. Makes me look like a total invalid with my issues.

Boolit Grand Master

Its the Irish in me I'm just to stubborn to give up. Plain and simple. Actually when I stay active I feel better and sleep better. Sitting watching tv and such all day isn't for me. I may do mire thinking on "HOW" I can do a project than actually doing it too LOL.

I did buy a power hand planer to finish the bench top down since I cant push the old jack plane anymore. I'm also "adjusting" the height of some tools to make them easier for me to use and operate.

Boolit Grand Master

Well set the old drill press up and plugged it in. went buzz buzz buzz then smoke. I hate to replace this drill press as its an old all cast iron industrial model. Table and head are both on dovetails its a heavy solid machine. I rebuilt it 10 - 15 years ago and its a heavy machine. I believe its an old Cincinnati machine. But a motor and upgrade is going to cost the bigger part of a new one. Im thinking this evening of a dc motor and vfd (?) controller for it. would give variable speeds and forward reverse also.

Boolit Grand Master

For those interested here is the bill of materials for the above bench.

Bill of materials
    2"x4"x8' 17 ea for top
    2"X8"X8' 5 ea leg mounts stiffening ribs
    2"x6"x8' 4ea legs and long cross braces.
    3/4" x 36" oak dowels 20ea for pins
    5/16" dowels 8-10 ea for small pins and locks.
    Keep in mind modern 2x4s are 1 1/2 x 3 1/2. This will make a bench 34 1/2" wide and 8' long. bench top will be 3 1/2" thick with 5 ribs 7 1/2"

Boolit Master
    How about rewinding the existing motor?

I had a 75 hp 480 v 3 ph go belly up and a regional motor shop went completely through it for 4K.

Or a good used 3 ph and a VFD.

DC motor’s of any size seem to cost plenty.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not sure this 3/4 hp 110 volt ac motor is worth rewinding it is old and came out of an old gas pump Im thinking from the looks of it late 50s early 60s. I just don't think its worth a lot of money rebuilding it. This motor doesn't have a capacitor start
    I have a 3/4 hp on my wood lathe also I can scavenge / borrow for the time being.
    Ive been looking at the Grizzly radial arm drill press but its slowest speed is 550 rpm and only 1/2 hp.

Boolit Master
    Another vote for 3 phase and VFD. I've been waiting for my drill press motor to die. Some guys have all the luck.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast