Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: New shop update

Boolit Master

the tube heaters do make you warm when under them. work has them and you can put them on t-stats to make them more person friendly, all the mechanics keep their tool boxes under them and we all tend to stay under them so unless they are only a few feet above you you will not get to hot.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

The ceiling in the shop is 10' He thought that would be close

Boolit Grand Master

Heard back from another Heating shop, they are recommending a "split" with a heat pump to handle both. Tomorrow were framing in the long wall of the building and possibly hanging some ceiling joists. Heard back from the electrician and thats a go.

I have the screws here now to hang the walls sheeting with so thats ready. I drew out and made the bill of materials for the ceiling mounted air manifold, then figured volumes it will add 9 1/2 gallons capacity to the compressors tank.

Im getting close to making chips.

The biggest jib is coming up once the room is done and shelves, cabinets and boxes are set in place. Organizing all the tooling where it can be found gotten at in a handy way. Chucks lathe and drill, collets collets chucks drawbars, vises, cutting tools, drills, reamers,mills, boring heads. I have 4 shelving units now 18 x 48 x 42" I bought 96" tall and assembled in 1/2 units. But will no doubt need more.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Heard back from another Heating shop, they are recommending a "split" with a heat pump to handle both. Tomorrow were framing in the long wall of the building and possibly hanging some ceiling joists. Heard back from the electrician and thats a go.

I have the screws here now to hang the walls sheeting with so thats ready. I drew out and made the bill of materials for the ceiling mounted air manifold, then figured volumes it will add 9 1/2 gallons capacity to the compressors tank.

Im getting close to making chips.

The biggest jib is coming up once the room is done and shelves, cabinets and boxes are set in place. Organizing all the tooling where it can be found gotten at in a handy way. Chucks lathe and drill, collets collets chucks drawbars, vises, cutting tools, drills, reamers,mills, boring heads. I have 4 shelving units now 18 x 48 x 42" I bought 96" tall and assembled in 1/2 units. But will no doubt need more.
    I would suggest a high efficiency A/C with heat pump. They have units that will work at 0F or even -20F if sized properly. You may want to think about a remote themostat so you can get the shop heated up before you get out there. If that's the case stay away from the Nest system & go with a Honeywell Ecobee.

Boolit Grand Master

Well was a productive day today. Got the long wall framed in. His was the existing building wall so had to work around posts a door and 2 windows. Came out good the windows now have a wide sill on them. My Son, Mitch from here, and I worked at it.

Ordered 6 led lights for the room 3 down each side angled to opposite corner at floor. By angling them like this it should help alleviate and shadows or dark spots. Have the back 17' wall to stud in and ceiling joist to hang. Also have the hardware to hang them now in a solid fixed type mount.

Boolit Grand Master

Talked to mitch the other night about the wall sheeting and ceiling. A big pain by hand. We discussed a stand for the die cart to use it to raise it up but this would mean posking each sheet up 6-61/2' to get it on it, still a major job. SO today I started looking at dry wall jacks and got ideas all were a very simple winch type crank up to raise and lower and I can see that getting old quickly. So Im thinking of making my own using a 2 stage air cylinder. main tube is 42" tall 1 st ram is 44" and 2nd ram is 52". Ill loose 3" travel to each stage. so this cylinder should give around 130" open plus the roller base. At roughly 58" tall and a rotating rack the edge of the plywood should only need to be picked up around 30" high. Set in place and the rack tipped level a fence gate closer around the cylinder on a piece of flat stock should hold it close to level to line up with the joists. To raise 1 spring loaded lecer valve is squeezed and another is squeezed to gravity lower. I can by the materials for very close to what the ones I saw that cost around $200.

Boolit Master
    Hire 2 sheetrockers and have it done in a couple hours. Lids are hung with special benches you stand on. Hold the sheet in place with your head while you get the first few screws in. A couple rockers can have it done before you can set up any of those drywall lifts. I rocked in my younger days and still do my own.

They will use 12 foot sheets for fewer seams if you're going with regular 1/2 inch.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

Im ding plywood walls with brass screws. Were having a good time doing this and my Son along with some younger family members are learning a lot. If I make the jack Ill have a platform that allows the person to stand on it and reach the ceiling. could also install remote control so they don't have to get down. THe jack will be a fun project and be useful

Boolit Master
    The guys that built my shop worked in tandem to put the gyprock on the ceiling. The boss and one worker stood one at each end of scaffolding and the bosses 6'5" son picked up each piece of 12 foot gyprock, lifted it over his head and walked up a short ramp onto the scaffold and held it in position while the other two got screws started. Then he went for another sheet while they finished securing it in place. Shop is 30x40 feet with 12 foot ceiling.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Grand Master

Well today a lot was accomplished. We got the headers on the long framed wall. Saw sat down in the floor and close to where it ends up. All the ceiling joist cut and lengthened. My son and Austin learned a lot again. ( one that saws are heavy LOL). Got all the joists up on the headers so they were off the floor and lined up so all we need to do is slide them in place.Slices are set 180* so no two line up in a straight line.

Boolit Grand Master

Well got the senco collated screw gun yesterday. This will be a plus for the wall sheeting and ceiling. Uses a 50 screw strip ( silicone rubber type strip) and feeds the screws as needed. Nice looking tool that should make short use of the 2000 screws I bought with it, Ill probably need 1000 more when the outside is done. Got the long drill bits I needed and a lb of 1 / 16" copper brazing rod to do the lights hangers with

Boolit Grand Master

Hoping Sunday to set the ceiling joists and frame in the last wall. Tues heating and cooling guy is coming to five a firm idea and estimate on heating and cooling the room. Leaning towards a mini split unit with heat pump. Talked to the guy today and he agrees putting the pump inside the building and out side the room with a louver would increase life and also efficiency of the unit at lower temps. Ceiling mounted panel in the room. He also agrees the unit can be powered from house side of box saving the shops power for machines.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Well got the senco collated screw gun yesterday. This will be a plus for the wall sheeting and ceiling. Uses a 50 screw strip
    I bought the Hitachi auto feed screwgun and 3,000 senco screws for my home and shop. Corners are tricky but in the field they work perfect and it's as fast as you can go. Turns a tedious job into a pleasure. Reviews of the Senco and Hitachi both mentioned corners being tricky. The Hitachi converts to single screw for tight spots or where the screw angle is steep to catch the stud but usually it was easier to grab the Makita cordless drill.

All of the screw guns want to be 90 degrees to the surface and work less well at angles.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 02-21-2020 at 09:14 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

Where are your update pictures? I'd like to see how it is coming or a progression from start to now to finish. It would be interesting
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

If Mitch comes out Sunday Ill ask him to post some new pics for me. I dont have the means too. Its been a long project getting to here. But Im getting close now. Grandsons (6 5 and 2) were originally told I bought a seed that said garage on it at the store and planted it. LOL. wish it was really was that easy.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, It's over a year now but the good part is that when it's done it will be exactly how you want it not some off the shelf job where you are constantly saying "I wish I had done this".
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Oh Im sure at some point that will happen. . A friend brought me 2 metal lockers today. 14" wide and 18" deep 6' tall. one is going to get a 18: golden rod dehumidifier and shelves to use for welding rods and other consumable storage. The other will become a smoker, Nice heavy metal lockers in very good shape

Boolit Grand Master

I know your feeling. We have planted a meditation garden at the Church. I tell people that you plant flowers for yourself, shrubs for your kids, and trees for your grandkids. We started this in our 60's and planted trees!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Well today I did some running and ordered more materials. Went to bank and transferred some money to pay electrician, ordered a few more 2x4s 2x6s and 2x8s to have on hand. and some more nails, always more nails LOL. Also got a rod dehumidifier for in the one locker and primer and paint for them. SOw last night and more tonight to come. Talked yesterday to another Heating cooling guy, waiting on the estimates from the last 2 now.

Boolit Grand Master

Ceiling joists are now set and anchored in place and last wall is framed in ready for electricians and heating cooling guys.

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast