WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: New shop update

Boolit Grand Master

Well I now have a yard full of building. Talking to them and the driver I found it interesting that there were 2 buildings on the truck this delivery. From here He went to Indiana ( Portage?) for 5 coils of tin to take back with him. This will be roll formed coated and cut into siding for more buildings' I didn't think hed get many loads going back to Wisconsin. They removed some old concrete and got site ready. going to take a bit of grade at the south end to bring it up.
    He moved a building ahead of mine since that site was drier and could be worked easier. I have standing water in the lower spots right now.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    When I built new I went 24x30 foot... wish I could have gone bigger LOL fills up FAST especially with an F150 taking up space...

Why does that sound familiar, Mary

Wish I had a shop. Im making do with a garage and moving tools outside when its sunny to work
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Contractor had 2 semi loads of gravel dropped today. The site is ready to be graded up waiting for it to dry down so they can get started. The site falls away a lot past the old garage so its going to take some fill.

Boolit Master
    Please show pictures. I am seriously considering moving to a state that will issue me a CCW permit. A condition of the new house will be either a sizeable shop or room to build one. Would like to see what your shop looks like.

Boolit Grand Master

Finally, Contractor was out yesterday dropped off scaffolding the first trip then brought bobcat and if accessories on second trip. graded site up . The new building actual construction has started. Talked to him the other day and He stated e was 2 months behind do to the rain and weather already.

If we had started earlier instead of waiting for warmer weather it would have been done with few issues. I really didn't want to see them out in February in 30 degree weather working though.

Boolit Grand Master

Contractor was here today. Laid out building and here posts go. sorted posts and angered 18 holes to depth +3" installed a 3" thick concrete cookie ten tamped down level. Poles are in holes and framing starts tomorrow if its not raining. Its been a long day for me.

One thing that they did ive not seen done before is on all the posts they nailed 2x4x8" piece on each side of the post roughly 3" up from bottom. This is to keep post from floating or shifting until the ground settles back in place.

Boolit Master
    Pictures we need pictures. Please.

Boolit Grand Master

Yesterday they squared and set the poles got the most of the stringers in and started grading for the floor. You can now see the size height and big doors of the building. the stringers on the north side were attached with screws so they could remove them to set trusses. That may happen tomorrow. Rained today. They wanted to get stringers on so if there was wind with the predicted storm it didn't mess up the posts. Ordered 30 yards of fill today for floor and around building.

Boolit Grand Master

Its coming right along. Now.Today they got the last of the stringers on, headers hung over the 3 garage doors. clets on where needed and purloins made up. Hoping Monday to set trusses and purloins on. Maybe frame in the entry doors and windows. Got some other pieces done for overhang. Tomorrow weather permitting were hanging trusses.
    Last edited by country gent; 06-17-2019 at 08:59 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Eaves vents and soffit are on, cupulas base is done and ready to set entry doors are framed. windows need to be cut in yet. Tomorrow finishing overhangs setting cupula and grading out side and floor for concrete. Possibly put the roof on. Pour concrete Friday or Monday possibly. A 40'x50' will be a big job. rebar on 24" centers in floor. Its coming along at a decent pace

Moderator Emeritus

How thick of a floor? I went 6" to handle heavy loads...

Boolit Grand Master

WHere the old garage floor was will be 10" for the shop area. ( lathe mill grinder wood working tools) the rest of the floor will be around 4-5". Were pouring on top of the old floor which was 8". Should make a good heavy floor for the machines.

Boolit Master
    I hope the concrete done bust up over the old concrete with it being only 2”. Concrete don’t like to bond it self very well to old concrete. Especially if it has not been prepped properly. Also with as much fill you said had to be added I hope you don’t get future settling and your concrete floor busting up only being 4-5”. There is no way it’s been packed and settled.

Boolit Grand Master

Im sorry was tired from a full day "helping" contractors. Concrete will be 4"-5" on top of old. So 12" thick there. were lightly grinding it to roughen and pins to tie together.

Boolit Master
    Ok that sounds a lot better. Lol

Boolit Grand Master

Roofs on. Ridge vent and cupula tomorrow, maybe cut in window frames. Probably grade and get ready for concrete

Boolit Grand Master

Contractor is shooting for net Wednesday to pour the floor. Some grading to do yet forms and rebar. A 40X50 floor is going to take a pretty good size crew to pour, screed and finish. Better order pizza and beer for the crew that day. LOL

Boolit Grand Master

Today they finished grading and packed it down, Installed some grade pins laid plastic sheeting and rebar. Set forms at doors. Tomorrow we pour 27 yards of concrete for the floor.

Boolit Grand Master

Long day yesterday well busy day. First load showed up on a conveyor truck at 6:00. The conveyer truck was money well spent, no Irish dump trucks were needed. LOL. First truck spread his load out ( about 2/3 of floor) and scraped down excess. Second truck baked in along side and ran chute over conveyer finished back half and far edges. Conveyor truck pulled out and chutes added to second truck He emptied and third truck came in and finished the pour. this was just before 9:00. screeded and floated down it looked good. The waited a little for it to cure up and ran a 4' power trowel over it several times. It looks very good cuts are in and sealed . Floor is curing this weekend. 3 large meat lovers pizzas and breadsticks as a bonus for the crew.

Boolit Master
    Keep it wet

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast