Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: New shop update

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Mr. Wolf , While not making dreams I am fulfilling one with this shop building. I have been planning wanting this for 30+ years. Im now in a place to make it a reality. The old garage ws smaller (2 1/2) cars and open. For years in hot and cold weather I tinkered sweating and freezing. when Im done here the shop will be enclosed, insulted well, heated and air conditioned. It will have a full metal shop and pretty well equipped wood shop in the room. I know have a garage area slightly bigger than the old garage and my shop Ive been planning. Im really looking forward to "driving the last Nail" and being able to put all the new equipment to use.

Its been a long process. starting with cleaning out a garage with 30 years of accumulation in it. The removing the old building . putting up the new building ( here I learned a lot watching and helping). Having the lathes mill and grinder moved in ( this required the aid of riggers / millwrights, the nardinni lathe was 3500 lbs stripped down). Building a new work bench for in the room (pics are in this thread ), Now framing up the 2 interior walls 1 with a sliding pocket door 10' high and 8' wide.

Left to go is getting electricians to wire room and building, Feting furnace man in for furnace and Air conditioner install ( on a 17' X 30' room I think wall if ceiling minted will be fine). Insulate room and then finish out side of the inside 2 walls. I have a ways to go yet but hopefully by late spring will be done. Almost a full year start to finish. But when Done Im going to have a very nice shop and garage that is very well equipped

I still need to find a welder and a saw, along with some mill tooling (dividing head, rotary table)
    Go with as much insulation as you can! When I built my garage/shop they put 8" in the walls and R50 in the attic space. Even the overhead door is R14... with no heat on the coldest it gets in winter is 28. I need to buy a furnace for in there so it can stay around 55 all winter.

Boolit Grand Master

The 2 out side walls ( the actual buildings walls will be roughly 6" thick for insulation and the 2 framed inner walls will be roughly 4" thick for insulation) Are protected by the house and a few trees from prevailing wind directions. The inner 2 walls will see no wind being inside the building. This will make heating and cooling easier. The ceiling is going to be 2x6 joists and I may build a 6" framed platform for storage and add another 6" of blown in on top of the rolled in there. I see the ceiling being the big heat loss in this room. I may seal walls with plastic sheeting to stop drafts and leaks not sure yet on this. Front wall is going to be thicker than normal due to the pocket door in it. It will be 4" on each side of the 2" thick door. SO that's going to be good. AM planning on using strogoam insulation board in the 9' x 10' door itself. Tracks and rollers are rated for up to a 450lb door so they should be more than enough.

I have the wood, door tracks, and rollers on hand now. Waiting on the chemical anchors and some warmer weather.

Boolit Grand Master

Went out today and started sorting wood some. Also when I got to the 1 x 6s I got side tracked. measured out the bench and cut the leg notches in one laid it in place and checked fit. Then glued and doweled in place. cut three more to fit between legs and set them in place. Have 1 more to cut notches for legs and set in place. The 3 in-between the legs went in nice and snug. had to rise center two and tap down in place. Almost no gap or joint showing. But the lower shelf makes the bench look better than the frame did. Once the shelf is glued and doweled in place the only thing left is to finish the top down flat and smooth.
    A lot of the wood is very good as to straight and smooth.
    The bench was built all with hand tools ( other than drill press and sanding). the mortise saw is a big plus here with its deeper blade and finer kerf.

Boolit Grand Master

Haven't been doing a lot between grandsons, doctors appointments and life in general. I did cut and fit the last board for the benches shelf the other day. Im hoping to order the roll in saw Wednesday for my Christmas present to myself. Its a dake sxc workmate vertical cut off saw.

Boolit Master
    The 2 out side walls ( the actual buildings walls will be roughly 6" thick for insulation and the 2 framed inner walls will be roughly 4" thick for insulation) Are protected by the house and a few trees from prevailing wind directions. The inner 2 walls will see no wind being inside the building. This will make heating and cooling easier. The ceiling is going to be 2x6 joists and I may build a 6" framed platform for storage and add another 6" of blown in on top of the rolled in there. I see the ceiling being the big heat loss in this room. I may seal walls with plastic sheeting to stop drafts and leaks not sure yet on this. Front wall is going to be thicker than normal due to the pocket door in it. It will be 4" on each side of the 2" thick door. SO that's going to be good. AM planning on using strogoam insulation board in the 9' x 10' door itself. Tracks and rollers are rated for up to a 450lb door so they should be more than enough.

I have the wood, door tracks, and rollers on hand now. Waiting on the chemical anchors and some warmer weather.
    Call and check on spray foam prices you might be better off letting them seal the building.

Boolit Grand Master

Ordered the saw today for my Christmas present to myself a 14 1/2" X 8 1/2" roll in saw. 1hp 3/4" X 120" band with upgrade vice and hydraulic feed damping. This saw will do cut off and contour both. Made in Cleveland Ohio.

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a nice Christmas gift!

Boolit Master
    I just watched the video. That saw IS Nice!
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

The vertical cut offs are more versatile I than the horizontals in that flats, triangles, squares can be rough cut and save a lot of mill time. Angle plates can be roughed and the square cut out used elsewhere. Ive used the doall and marvels in shops and really liked them.

Boolit Grand Master

Well today the chemical anchors arrived finally.

Boolit Grand Master

Do those have a temp limitation? Of course you do have heat in there now.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Nope no heat yet. need to get the inner 2 walls up and then wired up. Hoping mybe this weekend if it warms up enough. They do have a temp restriction. so may have to se walls then put them in later.

Boolit Grand Master

The saw was delivered to the tool shop today. They called and said everything was in. Roll In even went so far as to install the 2 accessory packages free of charge for me. Now the tool shop and movers need to get together and hopefully by Friday the saw will be here.

Boolit Grand Master

Movers just called saw will be delivered Friday. Shouldn't take them long here. LOL. Talked to them about a used grind r lap and carbide grinder He thinks they may have one or both also.

Boolit Grand Master

A warm day today and brother in law and another came over. Set up the miter saw on the cut box set stop board and cut wall studs to length. Now have the 30' wall framed in 10 foot lengths. leaning against the wall. Tomorrow the 17' front wall and maybe the panel door. Got some more done today.

Actually went pretty quick. with the cut box under the miter and the stop board we could cut 3 studs to length at a time. The set the center sections header and footers on the floor. Laid out center and nailed in the first stud. 2 story boards and worked in the studs. laid the story boards in place against one stud and set the next. 16" center every time. went real good today.

Tomorrow will do the front wall and hang the track for the pocket door in it. Hopefully set the walls in place.

Boolit Grand Master

Mitch and my son were over today framed up the front wall for the pocket door. And set the framed walls in place. I now have a room in the building ( walk thru walls though right now) Shop is 16' 6" wide and 30' long inside measurements. We had a very good day. Son learned a lot. Its getting closer

Boolit Master
    Mitch and my son were over today framed up the front wall for the pocket door. And set the framed walls in place. I now have a room in the building ( walk thru walls though right now) Shop is 16' 6" wide and 30' long inside measurements. We had a very good day. Son learned a lot. Its getting closer
    Pictures of your shop from Mitch:

Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 12-23-2019 at 10:39 PM.

Boolit Master
    Looks like things are coming along quite nicely.Especially in the machine shop area.I`m jealous.Here`s wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas and a safe,happy,healthy and prosperous New Year.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
    Looks like things are coming along quite nicely.Especially in the machine shop area.I`m jealous.Here`s wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas and a safe,happy,healthy and prosperous New Year.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    Wishing you the same. Still jealous. It is coming along nicely.

Banned
    Thanks for the pictures, it's hard to visualize what you are building. To say that it is an impressive shop is an understatement. I am glad you are working on completing a dream.

Ken

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920 LastLast