RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: 1/4" racheting wrench to replace Chapman wrench on Lyman lube/sizer

1/4" racheting wrench to replace Chapman wrench on Lyman lube/sizer

StuBach placed a post in S&S with the suggestion for using a 1/4" ratcheting box wrench in place of the regular wrench in case it is lost. Heck! I never would have thought of it, but I'm going to get one for the advantage of the extra leverage, as the short stock wrenches hurt my getting older hands after a lubing session with my larger boolits. I'll bet the extra leverage gained will be great for me!

I would have mentioned this in S&S, but can't discuss there...

YMMV, but I just thought I'd post this over here. Hopefully with StuBach's permission. His idea to replace, but I really like the idea of the added leverage. I'll pad the open end of the wrench. Looks like StuBach has given me the answer to a question I never asked!

Boolit Master
    I’m glad the idea has helped others and I’m pretty sure this is public forum so always feel free to share any ideas posted here.

As a fun side note to the idea, if you have the Chapman screwdriver sets, those bits can be used in one of these wrenches to reach hard to reach screws.

The chapman handle is not very ergonomic for any extended use.. I've been pondering on epoxying a wooden ball bout the size of a golf ball on the end. You might consider doing that to yours or lopping off the open end and doing it to the wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    The chapman handle is not very ergonomic for any extended use.. I've been pondering on epoxying a wooden ball bout the size of a golf ball on the end. You might consider doing that to yours or lopping off the open end and doing it to the wrench.
    Great idea about the wood ball. Now, to get the wrench and the ball...

Boolit Grand Master
    This is definitely a place where there is room for personal preference. I enjoy using the original, but a friend of mine wanted to go fancy so he turned up a nice wooden handle for a Snap-On 1/4" ratchet to power his. Of course his inspiration may have been the original Ideal Lube-Sizer with its non-ratcheting wrench with wooden handle... now that's classy!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

1/4" racheting wrench is indeed handy tool. I have used mine to turn screw driver bits and allen bits that fit in a 1/4" bit holders in tight places.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

On the stock wrench, could you add a length of PVC tubing on the handle?
    You can make the tubing as long or as large as you want. If the tubing size you want to use is much larger than the handle, just wrap with tape till the tubing is a snug fit.
    If your handy with tools you can get wooden dowels. Drill a hole just a bit bigger than the handle of the wrench then glue the dowel on the wrench.
    It's not hard to file and sand the dowel to look how you want it. Once you get it where you like it, finish it.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    The older gent I got my lyman 450 from put a piece of rubber hose over the handel of the stock wrench.Makes it nice and fat eazy on the hand.i have several 450s now I use the same wrench on al of them.

Boolit Master
    I've used the original but also found it is tough on the hand when doing large quantities of bullets. Went with a cheap 1/4 drive ratchet wrench with a socket. Easier on the hand and good leverage to reduce the force needed to turn the handle. Garage sales and flea markets are your friend for items like this.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a mini 1/4" breaker bar (non ratcheting) with a 1/4" socket. I like to back off the pressure nut after lubing. This method of course requires lifting and replacing the socket every 3rd or 4th boolit. Zero stress on your hand and not really an inconvenience.

Moderator Emeritus

I use a "Maxcraft" 1/4" drive dual socket bit driver mini ratchet, it has a comfy rubber coated handle, found it years ago for $6 on Amazon or fleabay?

https://kk.org/cooltools/14-inch-dua...atchet-driver/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

You can buy the wrenches direct from CHAPMAN TOOL, Online.

Since I bought a Lyman Heater when they came out, 20+yrs ago, I've never had a problem. Use White Label Lube BAC.
    Last edited by Walks; 04-30-2019 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Auto-correct
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Still have the original Chapman wrench that came with my Lyman back in the late 60`s.Works great too.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by BudRow View Post
    I use a mini 1/4" breaker bar (non ratcheting) with a 1/4" socket. I like to back off the pressure nut after lubing. This method of course requires lifting and replacing the socket every 3rd or 4th boolit. Zero stress on your hand and not really an inconvenience.
    Interesting that your post goes UN-noted. Backing pressure off between bullets prevents the lube from getting under the bullets base. Sounds slower but is faster overall.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BudRow View Post
    This is my preference as well. I use a 1/4" box-end wrench in place of the ratcheting wrench that came with my 450/4500 machines. LSS Carnauba Red is in the 4500, 50/50 Alox/BW in the 450. Both lubes flow easily when warmed to temps they like. Both expand significantly when warmed, too--so back that pressure screw off a bunch when you stop a 'run' of bullet-sizing, or you will have an unholy mess to clean up when you re-warm the machine. Don't ask how I learned this.

ETA--Chill Wills is EXACTLY RIGHT concerning lubed bullet bases, too. I squeeze in the lube, then back off the pressure about 1/3 turn after each bullet. Much less mess.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master
    Over the years I’ve seen about 2-3 wrenches that were color case hardened... it seems like they were even marked Ideal instead of Chapman. That’s kinda classy.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"