Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Reloading data for a cast hollow point?

Boolit Master

Reloading data for a cast hollow point?

I recently (today) got my first hollow point mould, and it came with a few different pins so that you can change the size of the hollow point. As this is the first time I've ever had something like this, I'm not quite sure how to go about picking a load to test. I believe the bullet will range from 235gr with it's largest hollow point, and 250gr if cast as a solid bullet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't case capacity mean more than bullet weight as far as picking a powder charge goes? The bullet will always be seated to the same depth, so the remaining case capacity will always remain the same. If that's the case, would using data for the 250gr solid be safe for the 235gr load?

The bullet will be used in a 44 special/mag if that makes any difference.

Boolit Master

The "void" space inside the case may stay the same but what you are pushing is different in terms of weight is different in your case. I recently came to this crossroad and went with data for the heavier weight data. You'll probably get some better advice from others here as they have many more years experience.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Start with the min of the weight of powder , that the boolit is for each one that is different then the other and work your way up to what the gun tells you.Just go with the same OAL on all because of it is the same outside of the boolit. If there is no data for that one boolit .Find a boolit of the same weight that was from the maker of the mold and go with that .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

"doesn't case capacity mean more than bullet weight as far as picking a powder charge goes?"

That is essentially correct when loading different bullets with different seating depths in pistol cases. The weight of 15 gr difference in a 250 gr bullet wouldn't matter psi wise that much.

However, in this case you are varying the weight of the same bullet with the same seating depth. Ergo there will be slightly more psi with the heavier bullet. A "max" load for the heavier 250 gr bullet would be safe with the lighter weight HP versions. Considering the 15 gr difference in weight is merely a .06% difference any difference in psi with the same alloyed bullet of a given load may fall within the expected test to test variation of both psi and velocity. An answer could easily be found by chronographing 10 shot tests with each weight loaded over the same charge. If a 44 Magnum is used I'd try 8.5 or 9 gr Unique for a midrange load and 21 or 22 gr 2400 for a magnum load.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    250 grain solid data would be the best starting point IMO, assuming the data your looking at has a similar profile. If you can find 235 grain HP data that’d work but probably be more rare.

The pressure inside the case will be nearly identical wether solid or HP since the bullet takes up the same amount of space inside the case. Unless you on the bleeding edge of the pressure limit the difference in weight will have no impact.

Boolit Master
    I got a little casting done today. It turns out those 235gr HPs are actually 240gr with my lube and alloy. These things look like they'd do a serious number on a deer or hog. That's a big ol hole on the front end of them, lol.

From the data I can find for 250/255gr boolits, 20-22gr of 2400 is probably a good guess at what a max load with this boolit would be for 44 Mag. I'll probably start at 18gr and work my way up.

Thanks fellas for the advice. I'll keep you posted on my results.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk