Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone like Breakfree CLP?

I've used it for years too ... our Canadian military used the old, original version for cleaning everything from handguns and rifles up to artillery. I'm still working on a gallon jug that a friend gifted me ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Banned
    I used Breakfree for a long time and still have some. I replaced it with Clenzoil and never looked back.

https://clenzoil.com/

Boolit Buddy

At the range, it’s a great carry along for a quick spray at the end of use for a faster cleaning when I get to the workbench. It’s especially helpful for a BCG that’s been ridden hard.

On the bench, Ed’s Red, kroil, and hoppe#9 are the staples. I’ve been trying BoreTech Eliminator lately...the jury’s still out on that one.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Master
    Breakfree CLP I have used for years. Mostly for firearms but have used it to free the joints up on pliers,side cutters and a lot of hand held tools even channel locks. Makes a good lube when sharpening knives axes and the like. Still have some LAW medium I use as well. Works great on lubing the channels on slides on semi auto handguns. Frank

Preciate all the replies. Guess I better not fall in love with it if they changed the formula.

No better or worse than the good ole hardware store 3and 1 oil for most things the average gun owner needs .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

I like CLP Breakfree as well. The older stuff. We used it in the armory in the Navy and the Air Force. I like the smell. Used some last night and a minute ago to lube door hinges.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Used it by the gallon... it was almost the magical cure for all weapon cleaning and lube in the 80's, what was lacking in dissolving factor was made up by a judicious application of elbow grease to get the weapon turned back into the armory before chow...

The original formula tasted better in my coffee, the reformulated not so much but both worked as well as to be expected. I still have a stash in the garage.

Boolit Master
    I've been using it for 40 years, but ONLY because Uncle insists on it. There are far, far better lubricants available, although the current formulation is better than the original. The PTFE (Teflon) used to separate from the carrier in the original formulation, so you had to shake the snot out of it to try to mix it back up. I still think that it truly lacks adequate lubrication properties for extreme hot weather, especially in automatic weapons. I vastly prefer something thicker like TW-25B, LSA, or LSA-T for military weapons. I pretty much rely on TW-25B for my personal guns for lubrication. I use other things for cleaning, depending on the application.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I got a small bottle of Breakfree CLP at a yard sale today. I've never used it that I recall, but I may have years ago. Does anyone favor it? It has a unique smell, I kinda like it. It freed up a rusty adjustable wrench I bought in short order.

Bazoo
    I have used it on and off for decades. For items to be included for deer/elk hunting, I believed that the odor would be a problem - that is, give me away as being in the area. . . . Good news. The odor disappears in a few days exposure to air.

Hope this helps.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Master
    I like it to breakdown old hardened oil in older rifles. I just slop it on/in and leave a day or so. The old hardened oils come loose more quickly. Other stuff works but this Breakfree is mild and won't hurt anything. A toothbrush scrub and a few shots of brake cleaner gets the worst of the old crud. Makes diassembly easier for a real detailed cleaning. Odor much less and not offensive as a lot of other stuff.

Boolit Master
    It's as good as most but I liked outers nitro solvent for bore cleaning ,just can't find it any more back to 009.

I've been using it for a lot of years. I think it works just fine and dandy but as indicated above, it's not a grease lube. I still use grease on my slides and rails at the end of a cleaning job.

In cold weather, the aerosol cans can get slow so I move a can into the house over the winter months.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    I've used the "old stuff" for years. Protected my guns when necessity dictated storing them in my Brother-in-Law's basement for ~2 years. New formula? Like with the "new" Hoppe's #9? Does it still work as well as it did?

Thanks for the replies.

Robg, I have used outers nitro solvent and I liked it. Been a few years now. I hope they didn't stop making it.

Vendor Sponsor

to me the newer breakfree is better. No more shaking for 5 minutes to mix back up.. great for general oiling, cleaning use better things for long term storage
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Back in the '80s I was using some breakfree clp after cleaning and was lubricating my rifles and handguns when a friend stopped by our place. He smelled the aroma of the breakfree and commented that he wished that he had some aftershave with that smell. While the odor is not unpleasant, I had never thought of it in those terms. Big Boomer

Boolit Master
    Bazoo I've been looking for it but it seems not to avaliable over here at the moment .

Boolit Master

Been using CLP breakfree for quite a while now & I'm down to my last canister...checked out 2 of my local Academy which used to display a lot & it seems they're out of stock...

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Try wally. Look for aerosol can with CLR.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-05-06 12.51.17.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	241174

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast