Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus Judge 45 Colt Loads

Taurus Judge 45 Colt Loads

Can anyone recommend loads for the Taurus judge? It shoots well with Cowboy loads, but seem a little puny. I'm concerned about pressure. I have Lyman 452424 and 452664 for my Ruger BH. I use Titegroup, Clays and AA#2.

Moderator Emeritus

All those powders are awful fast for putting together a bit stouter load. You might try getting something considerably slower in burn rate that will work to your advantage. 2400, or H110 come to mind.

Another trick is to use 9.3x74r cases and blow them out straight to fit the 410 chamber then use 5744 or trailboss as they provide the bulk you need for the larger case. I do this with a 45/410 contender.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master
    Don't have a judge. But I wouldn't think load data would be that different from standard .45 Colt fare.
    Among the powders listed, Clays is the only one I've used, and then just in a few light loads around 750 fps.
    I would think the judge should be fully capable of digesting 9.0 grains of Unique or Universal (my favorite) with your 452424 ( I have the same mold). I would think either load would run 950-1000 fps. I would think that should be safe enough in any modern .45 Colt, others may disagree.
    My Bisley likes 9.0 grains of Universal with a 454424 for 1000fps.
    After you shoot a few things with a 250-260 grain bullet at 1000fps, you realize, there's not much puny about it.
    According to the Hogdon manual, 6.2 grains Titegroup with a 250 roundnose runs 880 fps. Thats .45 ACP speed with a nearly 10% heavier bullet. Pressure with that load, according to their manual, is only 13,000 CUP. A 250 grain Keith bullet at that speed should leave 2 holes in any 2 or 4 legged vermin in Tennessee.

Thanks for the info. I was concerned because the literature that came with the Judge stated to keep the loads at or below 900 fps for a 255 gr bullet.

Boolit Master
    It's interesting that they would even acknowledge that someone would handload for it. Most companies just tell you handloading voids the warranty and that's it.
    The only factory loads that will exceed 900 fps are Buffalo Bore's and some other specialty outfits.
    As usual, chronographing is the only way to know exactly where you are in regards to speed (and pressure).

Banner Sponsor

You need to make sure what your chambers look like before useing a longer case of 410 length.
    It's been awhile since I looked at the Judge, but I'm pretty sure it has a step in the chamber where the 45 Colt case would end. My Super Chomanche is the same way and will not take a 444 case. My FMJ derringers will take a 444 case.
    Just make sure what the chamber looks like before you order new stuff that may not fit.

How do you like the Judge? I've been looking at them on and off, but haven't bought one yet.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Nk, I've had my 3 inch stainless Judge for a little over a year now and it's really a fun gun. I don't think it was built for SBH type loads but will handle anything within reason. I've shot plenty of 8 and 9 grain Unique loads with no problem. I also have shot the WW 225 Silvertip loads and think this is about tops for this gun. I keep mine loaded with the 000 buck first 2 rounds then 2 slugs for the next 2 and finally the WW Silvertip. I don't know of too many upright creatures that could digest that serving and still be a threat

Boolit Master
    Don't have one, but I find them intriguing. I would thing that group buy Dutch is running with the 270 Ohaus boolit would be the cats meow for this gun the way so much of the weight is sticking out of the cartridge. That should lower pressure quite a bit, right?

Boolit Master
    I use 8 gr of Herco and a 250 gr slug for my colt clones. It may not me max but you know the gun went off and I have killed several racoons and other critters with it works well usually two holes and they are done for. I never cronoed the load but it burns clean and feels a lot like a factory colt load and in spite of what peaple may say there is nothing wrong with the factory balistics.

I picked-up a couple of Lee moulds in 200 gr SWC and RF using 6.1 grs of Titegroup. The SWC flew at about 700 fps and the RF at about 750 fps. Both were fun to shoot at up to 15 yds. I didn't benchrest them but rather took a shooting stance and managed to group them at about 4-5 inches. I'll be moving on to some of the other powders mentioned above; just wanted to see what these would do with Titegroup.

Black Powder 100%

For a plinking load with 230- 255 bullets try your Clays at 4.6 Works great and is a easy load

Boolit Bub
    I have a lot of Green Dot and a lot of magnum pistol primers so I use these 272gr SWCGC mold says it 255gr.deadsoft 1% tin lead 6.3 green dot that clocked in at 720 F.P.S. in the 3" Judge. Hit everyting I shot at, mostly cans.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a Judge in 4" blued and quite often I carry it for personal protection. I carry it around the club during warm weather with the first 2 chambers loaded with 2.5" #4 shot for snakes. Because it's a 5 shot, the cylinder is a bit stonger than a 6 shot. I've worked up loads that were a bit hotter than standard factories. I wouldn't go trying anything from Corbin in it, but I wouldn't blink at shooting anything other than that it it.

Boolit Bub
    I think their is no 6 shot Judge.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    ..... Because it's a 5 shot, the cylinder is a bit stonger than a 6 shot.
    I didn't say there's a 6 shot Judge. I only said it's stronger than a 6 shot.

Boolit Bub
    Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Potsy View Post
    According to the Hogdon manual, 6.2 grains Titegroup with a 250 roundnose runs 880 fps. Thats .45 ACP speed with a nearly 10% heavier bullet. Pressure with that load, according to their manual, is only 13,000 CUP. A 250 grain Keith bullet at that speed should leave 2 holes in any 2 or 4 legged vermin in Tennessee.
    NEVER use a roundnose cast bullet for hunting, except for really small game. Use a wide, flat nosed bullet, a semi-wadcutter with a wide nose, or a hollow point. The round nosed bullets tend to go right through, even on small game. While the critter will die, eventually, he may do so in a hole or brushpile somewhere where he can't be easily recovered. Elmer Keith covereed this at some length in "Sixguns by Keith."

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2009 chunkum's Avatar

Cast load for the Judge

I have a stainless 6" Judge. The first part of the chambers are standard .45 Colt ending with a step to the 0.460" throats. My groove diameter is 0.452". Considering this, I didni't expect much but was pleasantly surprised when 16.5 grs of 2400 (older Herco production) gave me an avg mvl of 850 fps with some BHN 11, 255gr Keith type SWC sized to 0.455 (planned for an old NS Colt I'd rebarreled with a Webly barrel). With 2400 I increase the charge a half grain at a time until the SD shrinks but stop before I get into whomp-em stomp-em range. The load always varies some depending on the revolver. But in this instance, my Judge gives almost clover leaf accuracy (from a rest) at 50 ft and shoot close to the POA. And this suits my purposes fine. My suspicions on why it is as accurate as it is, is that the bullets are soft enough to obturate up in the throats and size down in the barrel. And, as theories go, I expect this one is as good as any.
    Best Regards,
    chunkum
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and it irritates the pig.

Black Powder 100%

My Judge likes the 454 size that runs about 10 BHN so I'm right with you chunkum.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

I don't have a Judge, I have a Ruger New Vaquero in 45 Colt
    From what I've read here you have to keep the velocity and pressures down as I do with my Vaquero.
    I use a Lee 252g swc (Don't remember what mold # at the moment) and I finally setteled on 7 grains of Clay's Universal.
    Very accurate, at least in my gun.

I experimented with Titegroup, ww 231, bullseye, and Clays and settled on Universal.

From what I've read Universal and Unique are similar powders, but with my past experience with Unique I'll stick with Universal, a lot cleaner IMHO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast