RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bolt action 22 rifles

Marlin is still making micro-groove bolt actions .22's with both tube and clip magazines.
    The new ones that I see at Bud's have cash prices around $200 shipped.
    Of course there's more expensive stainless models.
    But these have adjustable triggers and seem to receive mostly 5 star reviews from buyers.

Boolit Master

I think a lot of shooters these days are more shooters than hunters unlike in years past due to a change in population density, land access etc. they played video games(still). They want their replica tactical .22 gun.

They don’t have the experiences of walking the woods for hours with a little trim .22 rifle. They drive up to the range and might walk twenty yards and shoot a brick probably off a bench. A pig of a varmint tactical rifle or over blocky AR 15 clone wouldnt make a second or third trip of an all day woods walk if the option of a trim .22 was in the rack next to it.

Maybe I am wrong.

While I have an ar clone .22 for plinking, my woods walkers are the cz452, the Ruger 77/22, and rainy days it’s the well worn marlin 39a.

I fit into the "older" category as I am retired now. Just bought a Savage left hand bolt action 22. Accu trigger and black plastic stock. It shoots where I point it. I had a Remington 97 Semi auto, it hasn't jammed that I know of and is fairly accurate. I just like the bolt action better. They appeal to the younger crowd with bolt actions now as the stock on my rifle looks somewhat like a modular sniper rifle stock. Its not modular but has the looks. I am not quite as caught up in wood as most are. I used to build nice muzzle loaders with curly maple stocks but got burnt out on the tedium. In lots of ways I can appreciate the durability of the plastic stock. It does tend to keep costs down for a accurate rifle. No need to glass bed either as they hold the zero. I mounted a Redfield 2X7 on it as they use Weaver center fire mounts instead of the grooved receiver. Savage uses a tube now for a receiver, probably to save costs as I could likely use the same bases on my Axis CF as is used on the 22.

You can also shoot and cycle any ammo available in a bolt. We have never had a better selection of ammo before including some subsonic and very low velocity rounds that probably would not cycle the SA.

DEP

Boolit Master

I had a bolt savage 22. Sold it when Pa allowed semi-auto for hunting. Now im having sellers remorse. Picked up a mossberg lever action 22 the other day. Im glad i kept my bolt 22 mag and 30.06. Also got an bolt 223 not long ago. My son picked up a bolt 20 ga shotgun. He loves it.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

In all fairness, I don't mind a black plastic stock if it keeps the price down, or if it keeps the rifle stable. Last summer I picked up a Ruger American rimfire, and I can't believe they can sell a rifle that shoots that well for that price. I think one of the reasons it cost $299 was that black plastic stock. And truth be told, although I like walnut as much as the next guy, I'd rather have an attractive black or grey stock than a piece of what might charitably be called a piece of gym flooring.

Just my .02

Boolit Master
    I really prefer the laminated wood stocks over molded plastic. They are stiffer and do a better job of bedding the rifle. You can also glass bed or pillar bed them without adding a tremendous amount of weight. Plastic stocks are generally pretty flexible and the plastics don't really stick to bedding materials very well. They sort of can be bedded - but it's not easy.

I get it though - you can mold them to very close tolerances. They don't have problems with finishes, bugs, warping, or water stains. A lot of people prefer the convenience of plastic as well.

Quote Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post
    I really prefer the laminated wood stocks over molded plastic. They are stiffer and do a better job of bedding the rifle. You can also glass bed or pillar bed them without adding a tremendous amount of weight. Plastic stocks are generally pretty flexible and the plastics don't really stick to bedding materials very well. They sort of can be bedded - but it's not easy.

I get it though - you can mold them to very close tolerances. They don't have problems with finishes, bugs, warping, or water stains. A lot of people prefer the convenience of plastic as well.
    I did have an accuracy issue with my Axis and its plastic stock. Seems to be an issue with that particular make. Bought a basic Boyds laminated and the issue went away. Also I do prefer a little heavier weight rifle for longer shooting. Sometimes the plastic can be a bit flimsy. But like Patrick said, unless a good walnut or maple, wood is not all that great.

DEP

Banned
    I had a bolt when I was a kid. Remington 514. But I also had a Winchester 1890...guess which one I prefer.

Boolit Master

A plastic stock is nice to have around if you want to go afield in ugly wet weather.

The 77/22 allweather boat paddle is nice for that.

My serious hunting 22 is 77/22 with 4x. That replaced a 10/22 with 4x. Out of a couple dozen 22 rifles those are only ones with scope. I have several with tangs and reciever sights. One of my favorite critter getters is a Win 61 when Im going iron sights. I have a 70s Marlin 39m that is factory D&Ted but most of my old 22s are pre scope grooved era and I'm not willing to D&T them for a scope.

Boolit Master
    One interesting thing I noticed at the range... A 25"+ barrel is considerably quieter than the newer 22" and shorter barrels. It's especially noticeable with subsonic ammo.

I really don't like the racket - and you can tell a huge difference in the noise when you shoot standard velocity and subsonic ammo in an old long barrel 22....

Of course - the shorter length makes the newer 22's handier.. And nobody cares about the extra length when shooting a scope... But it is nice when shooting old fashioned iron sights.. And the quieter report that's also farther from your ears is really nice.

It is funny about the noise levels from different barrels not counting length. I have a RB with a 513 Rem barrel that seems to absorb noise. The other old long barrel 22s all seem to have different tones. You would think longer the barrel, more FPS and more crack. For some reason it doesn't work that way.

Boolit Buddy
    Picked up a Mossberg 142 and a Springfield model 120 . Got them both cheap nice shape.

Boolit Master
    Pressure starts to drop at about 18" barrel length with most 22lr ammo and noise and velocity drop as well.
    My favorite 22 hunting rifle is a 1919 NRA target rifle with a 3x9x40 mounted on it. If it's more than I want to carry I use a Ruger MKI 678 target pistol with a Bushnell Phantom 2.5x. I got rid of all my all my auto rifles and have only bolt, lever and single shot guns.

Boolit Master

I replaced my bolt with a classic. Stevens 86c pre s/n years. Im very happy with it. She's accurate. Going to replace the scope. It has a field and stream one one it. The cross hairs are thick. I like a fine line scope. Pic is from my LGS site.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5414_d1450.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	242581
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Banned
    Something that I have been wondering about pressure dropping in longer barrels. More recent tests say that longer barrels (because of the extended length of drag) shoot slower with the same loads. I load and reload 22lr with swaged, powder coated bullets. I wonder if the slipperiness of powder coated bullets would mitigate the slow down of the longer barrels. I would have tested that by now but I can't get out to the range ...bad health.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Something that I have been wondering about pressure dropping in longer barrels. More recent tests say that longer barrels (because of the extended length of drag) shoot slower with the same loads. I load and reload 22lr with swaged, powder coated bullets. I wonder if the slipperiness of powder coated bullets would mitigate the slow down of the longer barrels. I would have tested that by now but I can't get out to the range ...bad health.
    Didn't a couple of the ammunition manufacturers make some powder coated 22lr ammunition in the last couple of years for certain holidays?
    Those might make for a good test on that question.

Boolit Master
    The thing is - there's only so much oomph you can generate with 2.5 grains of powder and a 21,000 psi max. The itty bitty powder charge limits you.

The benefit of the older 26"+ barrels was the longer sight radius rather than any improved ballistic performance.

Boolit Master

Accuracy can be a very personal preference thing. I have always shot longer barreled rifle better than short barrels. If you want to watch my accuracy fall off, just hand me a 10/22. I like longer barrels that are slightly muzzle heavy. I just don't steady short and light rifles well in the off hand and that is what I shoot mostly with .22lr.. I have a Winchester Model 67A(24" barrel) and I love to shoot that old long barreled rifle. When I was in my 60's I could still see well enough to give grapes at 25 yards(distance where I have it sighted) a hard time with it. Unfortunately those days are now long gone as I shake way too much to really shoot well off hand. Somebody lied about the "golden years". It was a real good ride while it lasted. james

I've got 7 22 bolt action rifles. 2 Ruger's, 1 Remington, 1 Glenfield, 2 Kimber's and 1 Winchester. No intention of getting rid of any of them. And I shoot them all regularly.

Had one of the Kimber's out today.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast