WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bolt action 22 rifles

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I have only have two bolt action 22RF rifles in the safe - all others are vintage single shots. Both of the bolts are very accurate:
    * Marocchi EXP 64 (Model SM64)
    * Marlin Model 80 - DL with Peep
    Regards
    John

I will chime in as a young’un.

I could care less about the stock, plastic is cheaper and works fine. 22s are the standard “fun gun” and a bolt gun limits the fun for some.

I can understand the nostalgia of older guns, I just don’t share it. If I was given a $400 vintage.22, it would promptly be sold and replaced with a modern offering under $200. (I am unapologetic in my cheapness).

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by T_McD View Post
    I will chime in as a young’un.

I could care less about the stock, plastic is cheaper and works fine. 22s are the standard “fun gun” and a bolt gun limits the fun for some.

I can understand the nostalgia of older guns, I just don’t share it. If I was given a $400 vintage.22, it would promptly be sold and replaced with a modern offering under $200. (I am unapologetic in my cheapness).

Interesting comments. Please define "fun gun".
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Buddy
    Brings back old memories of learning how to shoot. I first shot at scout camp since my parents knew nothing about guns. Single shot 22lr's make you learn all the important aspects of shooting vs. making a lot of noise. We also used to go and shoot at the local police basement Which had an indoor range and we would have shooting instruction there. Those days are sadly gone.

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    Interesting comments. Please define "fun gun".
    I just mean most people own one even if they have no use for it aside from plinking. It’s also cheap enough that one can do mag dumps and not feel bad. Burning thru ammo is not generally what I do, but when I get the urge to pull the trigger as fast as I can, I use a .22

Boolit Master
    Interesting perspective. For me a fun day shooting the 22 is small (think 12ga hulls end ways) at unknown distances, out to 125yards or so, shot from field expedient positions. No mater if I am shooting an auto or M67 I consider it a single shot, some just store ammo “on board”. One shot per customer, just like hunting. Even better with a friend for some competition! Mag dump and pulling the trigger as fast as I can just does not compute. Probably a generational thing, 22s are about precision in my world. To each their own, it’s all good fun.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Luckily in my part of the world, here in KY, bolt actions are still pretty popular. We introduced our kids and grandkids to the rifles we grew up on, Rem 510, 514's, Winchester 67's, Marlin 81's and a large range of Mosssbergs, with the Mossies being some of the most accurate. I have one that I will shoot against about any kind of .22 at 50yds! I also have Ruger 77 that is dead nuts accurate, and a CZ as well. A lot if folks around here also love the Savage .22 bolts with plastic stocks, because they shoot good, and for $159 they are a good bargain for a working class family!

I three bolt action 22’s my dads Winchester 600 and my cbc 122 , high end rifles just don’t cut it against either of the cbc,and I’ve got the trophy’s to show, Roo

Boolit Buddy
    I have heard that the savage bolt guns might not feel as good but have excellent accuracy. Especially for the price point.
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I haven’t owned a bolt 22 lr since the early 90’s a buddy left a bolt action single shot Remington target master at my house. Shot excellent. I traded off years ago.

I got a hair up my wazoo and wanted a bolt 22lr rifle last year. I ran into a CZ 452 ultra lux super exclusive 22 lr that looked like brand new for $325. Cool, cool, accurate rifle. Best I’ve done is half inch groups at 50 yards with cheap Winchester 333’s. I’m sure the rifle I capable of doing better. I had a 2x7 150 Paralex adjustment so i wasn’t doing the gun favors. I removed it and going to try the open sights. Had lazik done so I can see a country mile now but open sight are blurry for me so I’ve been using optics or red dots. If I keep my head as far back as possible from the sights I can see them clear enough now after a lot of pistol practicing on and off during the last year.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-05-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123