Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Blackhawk vs Super BH grip size?

Blackhawk vs Super BH grip size?

I have an older full size BH(44 Mag). Will Super BH grips fit the frame? Looking for an oversize, finger groove set? Thanks in advance for your replies, hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    The Super grip frame is larger than than BH. Some good info in this thread on the differences.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=131343

Vendor Sponsor

Here is the definitive Gunblast article on Ruger grip frames, with the overlay at the bottom showing the various grip frames traced for comparison, thanks Boge Quinn.

https://gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm

The long and short of your question? The answer is no, the BH and SBH are totally different and will not interchange.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I thought the bh and sbh in the last year or two were the same. I read somewhere Ruger changed the grip frame a couple years ago. Maybe im thinking of something different
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

The Super Blackhawks with the square trigger guard is on the Dragoon frame, which has a larger grip.

Newer Super Blackhawks with the shorter barrels were built on the smaller frame. I believe the XR3 Red frame.

Here is my 4 5/8" Super Blackhawk. I regularly swap grips back and forth with my standard Blackhawks.

Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Thanks I thought they did because the hogue grip i put on my 44 mag was for a bh

The frames themselves I think are interchangeable then you can use the corresponding grips maybe someone else can verify that

Vendor Sponsor

The dragoon frame with the squared triggerguard is the longer one, the hunter edition is also the longer grip but a rounded triggerguard. These two will interchange grip panels, but neither one of these will interchange grips with any other Ruger model.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    The frames themselves I think are interchangeable then you can use the corresponding grips maybe someone else can verify that
    This is true within the BH, SBH, and Vaquero models. The Bisley frame fitting the BH or SBH cylinder frame is hit or miss depending on when the cylinder frame was made. They will all bolt on, but the Bisley grip frame may stick up in the back considerably. Ruger did eventually change the height of the back of the cylinder frame to standardize so that any grip frame will fit any cylinder frame.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banner Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansas Paul View Post
    The Super Blackhawks with the square trigger guard is on the Dragoon frame, which has a larger grip.

Newer Super Blackhawks with the shorter barrels were built on the smaller frame. I believe the XR3 Red frame.

Here is my 4 5/8" Super Blackhawk. I regularly swap grips back and forth with my standard Blackhawks.

With your 4 5/8" Super Black Hawk, does it have a steel frame, or an aluminum one? I think the blued Black Hawk comes with an aluminum grip frame.

I believe the grip frame is indeed aluminum.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

My older 4 5/8 SBH has a steel grip frame and round trigger guard.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I BELIEVE all .44 mags received a steel grip frame. The only aluminum ones I ever saw were .357 and 45 Colt.

Boolit Master

Here is my super blackhawk with pachmayr grips. Don't know if it will help or not.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3116i.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	240598
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.