MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Baking Soda Meat Tenderizer

Baking Soda Meat Tenderizer

I saw this in a magazine and gave it a try. I have tryed it on meat and chicken for stews and chili and on some cube steaks. It worked better then the tenderizer then you get at the store. If you Google it you will find alot of stuff about it. Jusy wondering if any one has used it .I had never heard of it before so maybe I'm just late to the party.
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

I have not heard of this. I will have to give it a try.

Boolit Master
    I've know about this but never tried it, it's the way Chinese restaurants tenderize meat. It's cheap and effective but can taste salty if not rinsed well.
    http://naturalhealthezine.com/how-to...h-baking-soda/
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 04-27-2019 at 10:23 AM.

Boolit Master

I have used it quite a bit on older chickens.

Absolutely works.
    Soda and water soak. Rinse and cook.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Grand Master

I've never tried it but will be trying it this summer on the BBQ
    Charter Member #148

Vendor Sponsor

Most interesting for sure .. thanks for posting
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Papain, an enzyme from the papaya, is the most common ingredient in meat tenderizers. It's used in Lawrey's, IIRC. You can buy it on line or a lot of stores have it on the spice aisle. Sprinkle some on meat and use a tenderizer--hammer style or blade style, then let it sit for a while in the fridge. I've never heard of baking soda used this way, but seems it would work like brining. I'll have to give it a try. Here's a blurb from Amazon about Papain.

"Papain is a proteolytic enzyme extracted from the raw fruit of the papaya plant. Proteolytic enzymes help break proteins down into smaller protein fragments called peptides and amino acids. This is why papain is a popular ingredient in meat tenderizer. You can get papain from eating raw papaya."
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Mold
    Hi there . We ( wife and I ) cook a stir-fry at least once a week , beef chicken or prawns( shrimp ) . We tenderise the beef ( approx. 12ozs or so of skirt steak or rump steak ) using a marinade of :
    1 rounded teaspoon of cornflour ( corn starch )
    1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda ---- NOT baking soda
    1 tablespoon of chinese cooking wine
    1 tablespoon of soy sauce

Slice meat approx. 1/16 to 1/8 inch thickness , combine thoroughly with above ingredients , add 1 tablespoon of tap water , stir to combine , then add 1 teaspoon of sesame oil , and stir through the meat . l let stand in fridge for 1 to 3 hours , then start cooking

We often refer to a New York based Asian cooking site called the Omnivores Cookbook for recipes and hints , as well as half a dozen or so local websites . As with most suggestions , or hints , be prepared to make adjustments to suit your dietary or taste requirements I would seriously recommend that you use the internet to locate Asian recipes , or any recipes / methods , for that matter . Good Luck .
    Mzzldr

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mzlldr View Post
    1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda ---- NOT baking soda
    Bicarbonate of soda and baking soda are the same thing. Baking powder is different.

Boolit Master

Deleted
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    I used baking soda on a $17 London broil I paid $6 for on Sunday. I though it left a slight taste of baking soda. I let it sit for 3hrs covered all around. Rinsed well and seasoned with pepper, garlic powder & onion powder. One of my daughters loved it, the other said it was OK. I thought it was OK but I'm not in love with it!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have to try this.
    Got some game birds in the freezer.

Boolit Bub

That’s a new one to me, very cool! Thanks for sharing.

I tryed it again today. I cut up some boneless chicken thighs and soaked in soda and water. I used them to make a pot of green chili. After soaking about 20 min. I drained and rinsed well and browned in flower and added the rest of the stuff and cooked till finished. The chicken came out super tender almost melt in your mouth.

I wonder if it may help cut some of the acid from the canned chili's and tomatos.
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

Boolit Master

It absolutely DOES cut the acidity in canned tomato product dishes, I use it all the time. Makes a huge difference. Doesn't take much, 1/2 tsp or so per 28 oz can tomato sauce etc. It will foam up , just stir it down.

Boolit Master

The article in post #3 said rub the soda in, then rinse it off. Are y'all mixing it with water and soaking the meat in it? If so, how much, how long, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    It absolutely DOES cut the acidity in canned tomato product dishes, I use it all the time. Makes a huge difference. Doesn't take much, 1/2 tsp or so per 28 oz can tomato sauce etc. It will foam up , just stir it down.
    ^^^^^^ I agree! Cutting the acidity of the tomato canned sauce/tomatoes really changes the taste of the dish for the better to a great extent. A huge difference, IMHO.

Boolit Master

I can tomatos in the summer and all the recipes call for added citric acid for safety if you water bath can. Well, this acid needs to be neutralized in any dish they are invited into when you open them to restore the flavor. I'm sure it's the same for commercial canned.

Moderator Emeritus

citric acid or lemon juice... or I use my PH tester on the packed jar to decide. Brewing beer i have some handy tools!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    The article in post #3 said rub the soda in, then rinse it off. Are y'all mixing it with water and soaking the meat in it? If so, how much, how long, etc?
    "Flour" it with the baking soda. Rinse very well!