Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe

Banned

Safe

I am looking for an inexpensive metal storage cabinet/safe for a few (2-3 guns)

Most I see have very poor reviews and are a "put it together" type.

What do you guys see out there you'd recommend that's under $250?

Boolit Master
    Job box

Banned

yea, inside the house would not be pretty...

Boolit Man
    I too, was going to say a jobber box. I made a safe out of a nice yellow one with the double locks. I stood it on end and made some rifle holders I think I can put 14 long guns in it with no trouble. $125......

Check around the for sale adds in Green Sheet, Craig's List, or local community facebook sites.

Used ones come up regularily.
    Normally, they're real cheap for what they are, since most people are intimidated about moving one.
    With a 2 wheel dolly and a couple guys you can move one up to about 400 pounds in & out of a pick up (almost) easily.

If you go that route, PM me and I can walk ya through servicing the lock, or changing the combination.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Safari by cannon has a small safe for right around 300 at academy. I was eyeing them myself.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Check out Tractor Supply Co . The Cannon safes are a good buy from them . The 64 gun model is under $900 delivered . They have several smaller units as well .
    The little ones just don't offer much beyond keeping the honest honest .
    There are several store brands that would fit your needs but names are escaping me at the moment , Eagle maybe . Out west Cal Ranch carries a full line like TSC . I think Sam's carries several also .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    yea, inside the house would not be pretty...
    Not my fault the specs were incomplete

Growing up we used what was once a hope chest. Wouldn’t have stopped a crook, but kept the kids out.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Stack on boxes off ebay hold 8 guns + shelf can be bolted to wall and floor. They go together easy and work great. They are no safe but will keep your guns secure. I liked them enough i bought 3 at different times and plan to get one more. Amazon also has them but a little more bout $120.

Safes are expensive none under 250 that I'm aware of. but a steel cabinet at a yard sale might do
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master

I have seen coupons for these as low as $279 in the past there was also a thread here about turning a old refrigerator or freezer into gun safe.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/10-gun...afe-64008.html
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Banned
    A sheet metal cabinet is FAR from being a safe. It might keep children away from the contents for short periods of time but that's about it.

Some of the cabinets that recess inside an interior wall between the studs are a little better, mostly due to concealment.

For under $250 you're not going to get much unless you find an old safe and can change the lock (and stay within budget).

Occasionally you can find an old used metal cabinet that is made from heavy gauge sheet metal. That is still a long way from a safe but with the right locks and secured to the floor and two walls; it will be better than some cheaply made new cabinet.

I purchased the Stack On from Dunhams Sports. It's not fire rated but it hold my rifles and I put the storage shelves on the side for my hand guns. It replaced my old Stack on because I ran out of room for new guns. They don't show up on their web site but they are in store. You can see them on the Walmart web site and order it from Walmart and have it delivered to your local store for you to pick up.

Here's something that will hold a couple guns.

https://www.safeandvaultstore.com/co...gun-safe-dv652

And if you want to get a little sneaky..

https://www.safeandvaultstore.com/co...es/amsec-safes
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    Homak 8 gun security cabinet. Keeps the little ones away. You can mount it in the end of a closet. 21"x56"x10". 1 shelf, door storage bins. Easy to bolt or screw to the wall. Usually less then $200. Walmart, Lowes, TruValue,etc.

For sure not the last word in home security but keeps the honest folks out. My key is mounted in a cabinet 4' away. 5 seconds to entry.

Banned

I suppose safe was the wrong word. Just looking for something to secure a few guns from kids and to keep honest people honest. Hidden in a closet or similar obscure place is the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Homak 8 gun security cabinet. Keeps the little ones away. You can mount it in the end of a closet. 21"x56"x10". 1 shelf, door storage bins. Easy to bolt or screw to the wall. Usually less then $200. Walmart, Lowes, TruValue,etc.

For sure not the last word in home security but keeps the honest folks out. My key is mounted in a cabinet 4' away. 5 seconds to entry.
    I have two of these and they work as intended. A locking storage cabinet rather than a safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Try “safe” in Charlotte on Craigslist, lots to scroll through but a couple things that look like they might fit.

The difference between the security provided by a sheet metal gun cabinet and a gun "safe" (which most are not, safe has a specific legal requirement) is not much. Neither one can stand up to an assault with tools for more than a few minutes. Check out YouTube even a fairly expensive safe tipped on its back and attacked with two pry bars is open in 5 minutes.

A safe or metal cabinet has to be mounted securely to a floor and located in a space that makes attacking it with tools difficult. In a closet. In a corner or nook. The metal cabinets need floor and wall mounting. Even then it takes a good quality of actual "safe" to provide security. As I recall those start in the $900 and up range.

A well secured job box mounted to the floor and secured to some wall studs is by far better than most budget so called safes. They are designed to withstand determined thieves on job site trying to steal valuable tools. The metal is heavy, as are the hinges, the overlap makes prying ineffective, the good padlock you provide is protected from assault using tools by heavy metal shielding.

Inexpensive safe is to keep honest people from being tempted to fondle your firearms. Or if fire rated to provide some fire protection. It may slow a thief down and either reduce the chance of you coming in on a thief armed with your guns, or by keeping them there longer increase the chance of you or someone in your family coming home while the thief is still there. It might get you a break on your homeowners insurance but they may require it be rated as a safe for that.

You should read up on how most fire rated safe will sweat condensation, you have to provide moisture control or you are making a rust chamber for firearms. Those fire proof strong boxes for papers are notorious for sweating moisture and destroying the papers inside. One other thing to remember, most retail safes are intended to look good to you in the store, a thief, especially one that may have targeted you for firearm theft will know a good from bad one. Never forget the $100 little office safe for sale at big box and office supply stores is plastic filled with chalky fire protection cement. One can cut them in half with a circular skill saw in a couple of minutes (see YouTube) so manufactures will make utter garbage and sell it to the uninformed buyer. Do your research and expect to spend more.

Job box is best budget solution, otherwise a good location to secure a $500 safe "might" be worthwhile. After that it is over $1000 and some of those are junk, some are good. Places that do locks and sell safes will sometimes have used ones that can save you some money and are unlikely to take junk in as trade.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    I suppose safe was the wrong word. Just looking for something to secure a few guns from kids and to keep honest people honest. Hidden in a closet or similar obscure place is the plan.
    In that case, just get a Stack-On or Homak 8 gun cabinet and bolt it to the wall in a closet. And it will only keep the REALLY honest people honest but as long as you know that, it will meet your expectations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast