Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: building a new bench

Boolit Master
    I've got a workbench out in my garage made from a section of bowling alley. It spans 10 feet in length and is made of hard yellow pine that was tongue and groove and through bolted across the width. The only parts of a bowling alley made from maple are where the ball is released and the area where the pins are set, even so that pine is plenty hard and the original finish can be wiped clean with lacquer thinner with no effect.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Grand Master

Used bowling alleys can be very good and after all the years of heavy waxing they are prefinished. They are very solid and near indestructible. I wonder if all the years of rolling those 14-18 lb balls down them compresses them. I've seen work benches, reloading benches, and an set of end tables made from them.
    Im still working on thinking mine thru, keep the ideas coming

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Used bowling alleys can be very good and after all the years of heavy waxing they are prefinished. They are very solid and near indestructible. I wonder if all the years of rolling those 14-18 lb balls down them compresses them. I've seen work benches, reloading benches, and an set of end tables made from them.
    Im still working on thinking mine thru, keep the ideas coming
    My nephew who lives south of Coldwater called me several months ago and said he had a line on some bowling alley wood. I can give him a call and see if any is still available. Coldwater isn't that far west of you.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks 15meter will consider the offer

Boolit Master
    Bowling alley.what is next a nice bar lol.Wont get any work done that way i guess.Better get a boat the way it has been raining.Coldwater is not far away.

Boolit Master
    How is the work bench idea coming along?

My current reloading bench is really a work table so it acts like an island.

It is way too heavy and too much surface area for reloading needs and should be taken to our farm shop and used as a work bench. Of course in place it is fine for loading but it is a killer to move.

The frame is 1/2” x 12” x3” T rail and the legs are each two steel round tubes one inside the other. The tubing is DOM (drawn over mandrel) and my clamps are adjustable collars made from the same tube as the outer fixed leg. The collars are drilled and have threaded nuts welded to them for set screws. I can see where the legs might allow some movement but it has not been noticed for loading chores. If I experience movement with shop work after I remove it from my man cave I can add set screws to the fixed leg portions as well.

I can certainly see how heavy wood clamps for the legs would offer strength and stability though. For specialized work such as scraping and some sawing and filing the wood clamps are a lot more stable.

I do wonder about steel plate affair with some sort of plastic in the interspace? Just throwing out red meat off the cuff??

My top is two layers of 3/4” chip board, nothing fancy, works well but for a shop bench not what I would even consider.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 06-15-2019 at 10:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master

Im just now getting the building up do to the rain and weather. Once its done I can bring my equipment back and set it up. Then get started. For progress see my post in Our town under New Shop Update

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12