MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remmington Accelerator

Boolit Grand Master

Remmington Accelerator

Blast from the past.
    Not that old, but old box, so 1970's????
    Attachment 240420

There used to be someone selling the plastic sabot back in the 80's-90's.
    You could put a .224 bullet in one and load it in .30 cal.

Or a .50 cal sabot you could insert a .30 in.

I tried the smaller one back then, but I'd do good to get a 10" group with them.
    But they did boast about getting well over 4,000 fps with them.

You had to buy a bag of 1,000, and it was about $30.
    I think I finally threw out the ones I had left over.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Shot enough coyotes with 30-06 Remington Accelerators to purchase a dedicated coyote rifle. Out of my 06 they would hold 2 MOA. That was better than the other rifles we tried them in. With dad's 06 6 to 8 moa was normal. I still have a box. POI was way different in my rifle.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-27-2019 at 04:17 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I remember them. The things were pretty neat at the time. It extended the versatility of the 30-06 into the varmint range to some extent. Unfortunately it wasn't popular enough. I think we have had some people sell sabots for various calibers over the years though. Yes, they still sell them too. ref https://www.eabco.net/Accelerator-Ty...0_p_13645.html
    Last edited by Earlwb; 04-26-2019 at 08:45 AM. Reason: add more info

Boolit Master
    I rolled my own in the 90s, still have a bag of the sabots.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    I remember them as a kid in the late 70's-early 80's. I had a box of them in .30-30 Win.

Boolit Grand Master

Ive saw them in 308, 30-06 and 30-30. We tried the 308s in a model 88 Winchester on the farm for wood chucks and other varmints. They worked but weren't as good as a dedicated varmint rifle in 222 or 22-250.
    I have thought about picking up some of the sabots to try and see what could be done in my 300 win mag.

I've shot a couple out of a 30-30 years back. I don't remember anything about them. I'd like to have some of the sabots to try some now, but I ain't sure I want them bad enough to pay what those folks are asking. I ain't searched on it but I bet a cast bullet would be pretty fun in one. If it didn't disintegrate.

Banned
    Wow, I remember those. I shot a few but was never impressed. The higher velocity yielded a flatter trajectory but any gains from the flatter trajectory were eliminated by the terrible accuracy.
    If you had a 30 caliber rifle and knew the range to target, you were far better off just using a 30 caliber bullet.

I used to shoot groundhogs with a .308 Win. and people would say that was "overkill"? I said that it always killed the groundhog just enough and I never killed one too much

Boolit Master
    Yes, I remember the .30-30 win ones I had were not very accurate and very loud. As a kid I did think it was a great idea though even if you couldn't use them in a tube magazine.

Boolit Master
    I still load some sometimes. I can hold 3 moa out of my Ruger M77 using cast bullets. When I posted that I could shoot cast at almost 4000 fps without leading I had to explain . They kick a lot less than full bore jacketed loads and ring the gong louder than a .223 M4. I sort the sabots by the letter on the bottom and also look for flash or defects.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    There used to be someone selling the plastic sabot back in the 80's-90's.
    You could put a .224 bullet in one and load it in .30 cal.

Or a .50 cal sabot you could insert a .30 in.

I tried the smaller one back then, but I'd do good to get a 10" group with them.
    But they did boast about getting well over 4,000 fps with them.

You had to buy a bag of 1,000, and it was about $30.
    I think I finally threw out the ones I had left over.
    I believe they still sell them. I bought a bag of about 100 back around 2012-2015 (I think). A 55gr .224" bullet in a 30-06 is stoopid fast. IIRC, they had data for 300 Win Mag with velocities in the 4,600-5,000 FPS range. I think the 30-06 loads were a more reasonable 4,000-4,300 FPS.

I got decent accuracy at 100 yards. I have no idea what you would use these things on though. I've heard stories of small varmints "disappearing" after being shot with one of these.

I got a full box of 30-06 of these that I got back in the 90's and was going to try them out but did not do that ,I did found a place to buy what you need to load them and I had call the place up on the use of cast boolit and told me that the boolit would not hold up for the speed it will go that need to just use jacket in it. I got all that is needed to load them just need to try them out some time. I did read some time ago that someone in FL use them to do someone in and they could not use the ballistics on the bullet because there was none. unless they found the sabot . That is why they stop sell the loaded rounds I was told.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    They're still available at eabco.

https://www.eabco.com/remington-accelerator-sabots.html

They have load data on their website also.

Boolit Master
    There is more reloading information here too http://www.sabotreloadingpro.com/reloading_data
    They also sell sabots as well.

I ran across this page about the Remington Accellerators and why the things disappeared.
    http://www.ammo-one.com/RemingtonAccelators.html

Remington introduced the Accelerator in 3 calibers: 30-30, 308, 30-06, in 1977.
    As you can see by the pictures, these are not new calibers, just a special loading using a sabot that
    enables a .22" diameter projectile to be discharged from a .30" diameter barrel.
    (22 Caliber fired from .30 Caliber) .
    Reports of velocities of more than 4,000 feet per second are more than possible, as the sabot drops off
    right at the barrel opening, leaving the small .22 projectile to speed on its way.
    Due to the Democrats anti-gun issues, as no rifling marks are on the 22 projectile that is fired from the firearm,
    Remington yielded to government pressure and stopped making the accelerators in 308 (7.62 NATO)
    & 30-06 as theyare fired in military semi-auto and fully auto rifles.
    The 30-30 & 30-06 accelerator may still be produced, as the 30-30 is a rimmed cartridge not used in
    semi-auto, or fully auto weapons, and the government believes the 30-30 is less apt to be used in a crime.
    You can buy the sabots and load your own 30-06 or 308, no laws against it, but I am not sure it will work that well
    in a semi-auto firearm.

Boolit Buddy

I used some in the 30 06 . At 4000+ FPS I don't think there is gonna be much left of most .22 cal. bullets to examine.

I loaded some for M1 carbine and they functioned well after a bit of tinkering with seating depth. It has been a few years and I do not remember how good or bad the accuracy was. I still have a bunch of the plastic sheaths.

Now I have something to go and experiment all over with again...
    Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    There is more reloading information here too http://www.sabotreloadingpro.com/reloading_data
    They also sell sabots as well.

I ran across this page about the Remington Accellerators and why the things disappeared.
    http://www.ammo-one.com/RemingtonAccelators.html
    You got the site that I was thinking of it is sabot reloading
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    I think that one needs to load down to the 3200 to 3600 fps range as going for 4,000 fps or more probably exceeds what the bullets were designed for. Then we need to take in account the rifling twist rate to maybe help determine what weight of bullets to use. These sabots might work better with the heavier 22 bullets we now have available to us.

I just got some sabots in today. I had to get some to fix my nostalgia urge I got reading this thread.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 05-10-2019 at 02:18 PM. Reason: add more info

Boolit Master
    bought a case when they came out . still have about 15 boxes. i had no problems out of a rem 700. fun on a water melon field

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast