RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Hunting boolit?

Boolit Bub

Hunting boolit?

Has anyone have any experience with this boolit and would you use it for hunting?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I prefer a flat nose for hunting with cast
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master
    Won’t the spire point tend to slump if the alloy is soft enough to expand on game? Looks like a difficult design to try to obtain accurately and expansion at the same time.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master
    how hard is it? if its hard and sharp pointed like that it may just tumble in tissue rather than expand

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    how hard is it? if its hard and sharp pointed like that it may just tumble in tissue rather than expand
    Between 16 and 18

Boolit Master
    That would be about the last bullet I would try to execute a clean quick kill on an animal. The best you can hope for is that it would tumble on impact which makes for a devastating wound- but how does one guarantee that anomaly of bullet behavior on command in every possible scenario?

It looks like a neat design, but were it mine I would punch paper and/or ring steel with it and switch to a wide meplat or hollow point design for hunting, or better yet a wide meplat with a hollow point to guarantee instant and decisive mushrooming on impact with a game animal that deserves to be shot with something more than marginally sufficient.

I have that exact mold from Noe and shoot that one in a 35 Whelen, as far as accuracy goes it shoots decent with groups around a 1 1/2” at 100 yards. I never tried it for hunting because of the sharp nose profile. You will do much better hunting with a cast bullet that has a wide flat nose

Boolit Grand Master

It's been many years since I did any hunting, but from my limited experience and what I've read here; for cast lead bullets for hunting don't depend on the bullet hardness/expansion for effectiveness on game. The bullet shape seems to be more important. The bullet in the pic would probably just zip through game. I would use a flat nose or wide flat nose bullet.
    https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...h=472&dpr=1.25
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Bub
    Iam new to cast boolits,iam just looking at options,right now iam working with a 300 grain fn,but here is a 200 gr HP iam looking at.

Boolit Master
    That 200gr RCBS has taken lots of game, and has been accurate in everything I have tried it in. The hp isn’t really necessary, but will be devastating at anything around 1700fps. Lots of damage but a very dead critter! Shot a hog with one last week, dead where he stood, shot between the shoulders at 1850fps.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Bub
    This is the 300 grain boolit iam testing right now.I call it the punisher, because it punishes your shoulder.

Boolit Master
    That right there will kill anything you wanna eat! Just put it in the right place!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Sent you a pm (doncrs65)