WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: 358439

Boolit Buddy

I just noted that Midway USA is offering the old 358439 HP mold. I immediately ordered one but it will be back-ordered for awhile. The illustration on the website shows a square groove for this new iteration of the mold. While I am waiting for mine to arrive, does anybody here have one of these new molds yet and if so how do you like it? If it is as good as I hope then it will mean that Lyman has done a good thing to bring back a mold that everybody looks for but seems never to be found! (seems like a good business decision from Lyman)
    Last edited by Golfswithwolves; 04-25-2019 at 08:46 PM. Reason: sunspots

Boolit Master

It is a really good bullet, I will have to look to see if they "modernized" the design. I have a DC in the standard mould (really old) and a SC in the factory HP (Ideal). I love it in 38 Special and 357 in my Marlin 1894. I like that it holds a lot of lube. That is one that I don't PC.

I have an Ideal 358439 that I bought in 1960. I casts beautiful boolits and back then I produced quite a few with my Lyman pot & Lyman ladle. In the last 30-35 years, however, I haven't used it. My shooting is now @ metallic targets & production is important.

I have a 4 cav. 358429 Lyman & an Arsenal version in 5 cav.. It's one of my favorite for the .38 spec. & .357. Back in the '80s my shooting buddy used it with some success in IHMSA...…...it took the rams down with authority.

Henry
    Last edited by oldhenry; 04-25-2019 at 07:31 PM.

Has anybody tried the NOE version of this mold? They call it a 360-176-SWC
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master

I too have an ancient one. We used to use it to take big Jackrabbits with .38-44 loads back in the day.
    Used a 20/1 alloy. Worked great. Used a 2cav to cast solids, certainly faster and more keepers. For target work.

These days I use a 4cav solid over light Bullseye for plinking. Can't hunt with Lead, Can't hunt at all. So It's a moot point for me.

But LYMAN dropped the #42798. And I've put off buying a replacement. Guess I'll have to haunt fleabay.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I've had a #358439 for a good while - a '50s or '60s model. I think it has a round lube groove if that matters, though I'm not positive despite having used it in the last year or so. Casts a big bullet, about .360", even out of wheelweight alloy. I've generally seen slightly better accuracy with this bullet in comparison with #358429.