Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pot Height

Boolit Master

Pot Height

SO with a lot if help from George and a few other members I am progressing along on the path to casting my own. Most of the basics are covered and to be serious at this point all I believe I need is a good thermometer and a hotplate for the moulds.

Yesterday while finishing the mowing I had the pot warming up in the garage and took a poke a casting a few "sample" soupcan wadcutter bullets in a Lee mould from a bottom pour pot. It became evident very quickly that my workshop bench/pot/stool combination is a bit awkward as the stool is too high.

So the question is ergonomically what height in reference to the Brain Housing Group to the pot do most use? I assume most cast from a sitting position. Or am I thinking to deep and want to find a good angle to see both the pour and pot lead level.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    SO with a lot if help from George and a few other members I am progressing along on the path to casting my own. Most of the basics are covered and to be serious at this point all I believe I need is a good thermometer and a hotplate for the moulds.

Yesterday while finishing the mowing I had the pot warming up in the garage and took a poke a casting a few "sample" soupcan wadcutter bullets in a Lee mould from a bottom pour pot. It became evident very quickly that my workshop bench/pot/stool combination is a bit awkward as the stool is too high.

So the question is ergonomically what height in reference to the Brain Housing Group to the pot do most use? I assume most cast from a sitting position. Or am I thinking to deep and want to find a good angle to see both the pour and pot lead level.
    It is so individual, some guys prefer to stand, some sit, I actually do most of mine crouched or on my knees... depends on how many you want to crank out and your threshold of not dealing with the uncomfortable anymore.

About the time I get 600-1000 done in a sitting my knees are worn out, I'm sore but also it's getting late and I'm getting hungry again....so for me it's not 'premium' experience but it's worked well. One day I'll build a better work table and work standing instead

Try a few combos out and see what works and feels like you can get into a rhythm with.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I have a small table or stand I use for my beam scale and I have thought about one for my pot. A small, heavy duty table, about 12"x18"x 8" high works well, but I would like it heavy enough to keep the set-up from tipping. But my stool goes low enough for casting so I procrastinate. I like to be able to see the spout on my pot, mostly for relationship to my mold/sprue late.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Standard workbench height and a roll around doctors exam chair from Amazon. I do my best work while sitting down.

Boolit Grand Master

As much as I would like to sit and cast , almost 70 + bad back , I still find standing the easiest and safest way to cast. My bench top is 36 " AFF (above finished floor) . I ladle cast with the pot on the bench but elevate a bottom pour pot so I can see the spout better.
    Just experiment with different ways and find the one that is most comfortable , there are no magic numbers that fit everyone .

JM's , post #2 , method of casting crouched on his knees ...wouldn't work for me at all. I could probably cast 6 - 10 boolits then EMS would have to be called to get me up off the floor.
    Just thinking of crouched casting makes me hurt .... I guess age and infirmities play a large role in how to do it !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    I cast standing. Bottom pour pot sits on a small stand on the workbench. I can drop bullets on the bench ( several old towels folded) or I can make a half turn and drop them in a bucket on the floor for water quenching. I like to see the sprue plate when filling the mold. It's probably about 48 or so inches from the ground. The top of the pot is a little to high to see into without stepping up on something so I have a small step stool handy. The bench is next to the garage side door. With the overhead and side door open I get a good breeze across the pot most of the time. A fan provided a breeze when needed. One of these days I may play around adjusting the height, I think a couple inches lower for me would be better. Height is dependent on your height and what your physical condition is.

I learned to ladle cast sitting an a short stool, the pot was on a old Coleman camping stove.

Move things around and see what feels "right" for you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    As much as I would like to sit and cast , almost 70 + bad back , I still find standing the easiest and safest way to cast. My bench top is 36 " AFF (above finished floor) . I ladle cast with the pot on the bench but elevate a bottom pour pot so I can see the spout better.
    Just experiment with different ways and find the one that is most comfortable , there are no magic numbers that fit everyone .

JM's , post #2 , method of casting crouched on his knees ...wouldn't work for me at all. I could probably cast 6 - 10 boolits then EMS would have to be called to get me up off the floor.
    Just thinking of crouched casting makes me hurt .... I guess age and infirmities play a large role in how to do it !
    Gary
    No real problem with my back, but the knees and hips don't always cooperate, so I sit.

Boolit Master
    Many years ago,a friend found two adjustable stools.The main shaft was threaded and had a locking screw and the seat would swivel when that was locked down.Used an egg sinker between the lock screw and the threads on the main shaft.
    As he had two,I bought the other one for myself.Worked really well.Was a roll around type too.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

The blue metal table is standard height, just above my thighs on an adjustable stool, the pots are about 8 inches higher than that.

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    The blue metal table is standard height, just above my thighs on an adjustable stool, the pots are about 8 inches higher than that.

What does that saw blade do for you?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

John McCorkle it keeps the red hot electric coils from contacting my mould bodies.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    I started by sitting for reloading and casting. Once I tried standing with each I never went back .

Pot height is probably right about mid torso. My Lee pot is sitting on a 6” stable platform on top of a normal height work bench. I’m 6’2 so the extra couple of inches help make it easier to see how the lead is flowing.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    As said it is a totally personal thing. You take the chair you will use if sitting and determine what you feel is best height for you i set mine at 33 1/2 inches tall .it took some trial and error using different table heights. But finally made a table in my garage just for casting. And thats what works for me with my chair. You will have to find the height that works best for you. And believe me it makes a difference if you plan on long casting sessions.

Boolit Master
    As stated in the end it is a personal ergonomic requirement, sitting, standing, most of us squatting is a memory, but maybe think over the final layout for safety reasons. After owning a couple Lee Dripomatics I have a tray that will absorb the pot if she decides to download entire volume. Make darn sure what you have set up on is a rock solid work area. Also keep in mind good ventilation, not worth harming yourself, anybody or anything enjoying this hobby!

Boolit Master
    Back is shot, knees been replaced, and one ankle has been rebuilt! I definitely sit! The problem is I get so involved in a casting session, by the time I am finished I have to walked hunched over for 20 minutes till the back allows me to straighten up lol. The wife yells at me and asks why I didn’t stop sooner. The answer always the same “ but honey I was having to much fun and besides I couldn’t very well stop in the middle of a job just cause of some pain could I”. I laugh and she gives me the look! All you married men know the look! Been that way my whole life. I once built a tac room on the horse barn with a cast on after the ankle was rebuilt! Some things never change! I hope!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

Little table I use made from scrap 2 bys screwed to wall studs with 3 1/2 construction screws. Chair is something the Missus bought from Lowe's for Christmas a couple years back. I got several different pots that I use. The location of the pour spout on the RCBS was worth all the scratch to stop being hindered by the Lee 20 lb pour spout. In my endeavor I couldn't get the pot high enough to see the spout pour without getting the pot to high to fill. When refilling the pot I like to have a full arm length from the pot while adding sprues or bars.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't feel safe sitting and casting, if lead splashed it would be sitting with me on my lap, and that don't sound fun. I just stand with a normal height bench/counter. but I don't use bottom pour I guess that's kinda different

Boolit Master

I cast standing. I have my pot positioned so I can see the spout and the sprue plate in a normal standing position. Usually by the time I need to see my metal level in the pot I'm ready for a break and will use a step stool to look down into the pot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Casting 02.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	240417
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Grand Master

Make or modify the casting bench so you know its on the low side by 4"-6". In each leg drill a 3/4" clearance hole 10"-12"deep and pick up some 3/4" threaded rod and 8 nuts and 4 washers. Cut 4 legs 14" long run nuts on 1" from end and washers on long end slide in holes. set bench up and you can now adjust height to right where you want it. This allows you to adjust height u or down and adjust any rock out of bench and to level it to any surface.

Bench height is dependent on 3 things your height, chair height and pots used. All 3 must be matched up for best comfort. Another trick is if you have a hard time seeing the spout at a comfortable height a mirror mounted may help "see" it easier, but what you see in the mirror is reversed. The adjustable legs help fine tune everything together. The adjustable stools also allow for some adjustment but may have to be to high or low with some benches for a comfortable seat position.

In use find the "comfortable" chair for you. Then with the pots on the bench start adjusting the bench up or down accordingly once set use the same chair and your good to go

Boolit Buddy
    Cast standing, pot on table saw. Full size Sears table saw, cast iron deck, very stable, easy to see.
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast