Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 35-40 Krag?

Boolit Mold

35-40 Krag?

Does anyone have experience with the 35-40 Krag in the Krag action? I have a 98 Sporter with a worn out bore and this seems like a viable option, but I can't find much data for it. I am looking for load data and experience with the round.
    Thanks
    Scott

Boolit Grand Master
    No direct experience, but I know the .35 Krag has been discussed here before. IIRC it is also very close to the .35 WCF, You might search for that as well.

Robert

.358 Win or .35 Whelen will be a better fit for your 98. Best, Thomas.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    .358 Win or .35 Whelen will be a better fit for your 98. Best, Thomas.
    Second that you are better with a rimless cartridge conversion. I would look at the 35x57 aka 9x57.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Mold
    This is a 1898 Krag it can not handle the 358 or the whelen. I have seen some of the posts re the 35 win, was just hoping for a little more information. Thanks.

Why not just contact J E S Rifle Reboring and ask him directly? He lists 35 Krag as a rebore option.
    I am thinking that might be the same as a 35-40 Krag.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Mold
    Kmac thanks I will contact him

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have no experience with the . 35 Krag, but do have a .35/.30-30 which is splendid and I feel superior to the .35 Remington as suitable brass as feedstock is plentiful and cheap and its longer neck works better with heavier bullets.

A .35 Krag would be more of the same, being able to use .303 British, or Krag brass, and the neck and nagazine length would support up to 300-grain bullets, which would be well stabilized in a 14" twist of rifling and you have adequate case capacity to safely drive 300-grain bullets to 1800 fps in your 1898 Krag using a powder similar to 4064, RL15 or Varget. Accurate has several molds which are well suited. I use 8-9 grains of Bullseye with 36-245D in my .35/30-30 as a plinker and 30 grs. of 4064 for hunting. Accurate has a 302 grain bullet of similar shape, but with longer nose, in either plain or gascheck base, which is made to order for your project.

Attachment 188149Attachment 188150
    Last edited by Outpost75; 02-15-2017 at 11:18 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    outpost75 thank you. I was thinking the same as you, should make a useful change.

EScott I apologize for not reading your post correctly. I can't see or hear or read the number 98 without thinking Mauser! That said, I have owned a Krag and truly wish I had kept it. If JES will rebore it you will be very pleased with the results. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    I too automatically thought 98 Mauser. And I have a 98 Krag
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Buddy
    A guy on gbo has a 35-40 Krag. He thumped a 700 pound or so pig with it. He was using some 280 gr. Boolits I cast for him. That long neck of the krag works great with cast.

Boolit Mold
    JES has the barrel now. Geezer56 do you have any load data for the cartridge? I have found a little info on it but not much.

Boolit Master

This may seem like a stupid question but if you are going to rebarrel it why not stay with 30 caliber?

Boolit Buddy
    No data. Check gbo out. Pm for more info on the guys handle etc. I don't wish to post his info up without his approval.

Boolit Mold
    This was a common modification in the 30's. The 1 in 10 twist of the krag can be a challenge for attaining hunting velocities with accuracy, the 35 bore will produce lower pressures at similar velocities and bullet weight, I can maintain the original barrel which is pretty bad, and finally and most importantly it just sounded like a fun project.

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    This may seem like a stupid question but if you are going to rebarrel it why not stay with 30 caliber?

Krag brass can be hard to come by, not at the moment, but it could dry up again. A 35/303 might be a better option to consider.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Good project you have going there. Will follow and see where it goes. Just happen to have a spare Krag barreled action laying around and was wondering what to do with it
    You say it was popular back in the 30's. Have you found any load data ?
    Facta non verba

Boolit Grand Master
    Is the rimmed Krag going to fit into the 8x57 size bolt face and extractor??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    EScott, did you get that barrel back from Jesse? Have you had a chance to shoot the rifle? I, too, have a '98 Krag with a rough bore. Having played with a .35-30 in a Winchester 94, I was impressed, and would expect the .35 Krag to be even more impressive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast