Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mould mallets... What do you use and why?

Boolit Master

I NEVER use a mallet on singles or doubles , except as a last resort. Then I have an old hammer handle handy.

Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    I have been using this little jewel for years, it is lite, well balanced and the yellow end is just hard enough to work and does not damage the mould. I am about to wear out another end and thus I am looking at options. I have used small lead hammers, love them but they do not balance well at all. I have played with small dead blows and was not crazy about them. I have to have assistance opening a mould as I have avascular necrosis in both hands and need the extra umph to open the moulds, I also need to limit twisting in my wrists and palm of my hands. I cast mostly with 2 cavity Lyman, Saeco and RCBS moulds and have a small smattering of NOE 4C aluminum and Saeco 4C iron moulds as well.

Attachment 240391
    Same I have used for over 45 years

40 or so years ago.....

Took a drop of beech 6011 LJSmith handrail and bored a hole in the same orientation as a baluster except,all the way through. Took a hickory handle dad had made years before that,ball pein style and fitted it in. The profile of the rail is spot on perfect for tapping sprue plate open..... both ends get equal wear....still using it.

I have use a cut of pine for the shape of a mallet then I worn that down Now I use a cut maple limb that is dry out and bark off and put a handle on it and works ok for me. I do put a ingot mold under the bottom pour to catch the dripping from it .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Bub
    A piece of Nylon dowel 1” dia about 12” long. Light wt works very well. Best part was I just happenned to have it in my scrap pile. From what project? Who knows 😁

Boolit Master
    I used an old hammer handle...cheap, and it worked just fine! I like your idea of a hammer.

Boolit Master
    Broke a kinetic bullet puller several years ago between the handle and the opening end. I like it better than the hammer handle or the rubber/plastic end mallet I’d used previously.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master
    Go to Lowe's or Home depot and buy a couple pair of welders gloves. Use one and always keep a spare. striking the sprue plate does the screws that hold the mold to the handles no good. Have an old pair that I use when melting wheel weights as well. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    I just found a short Police baton and it works great.

Banned
    I have been using a piece of very soft white pine 5/8"x 1 5/8" about 14" long. It works very well. However someday I wanna make me a small baseball bat type mallet. After reading some of the posts here I may wrap it with rawhide to boot.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Go to Lowe's or Home depot and buy a couple pair of welders gloves. Use one and always keep a spare. striking the sprue plate does the screws that hold the mold to the handles no good. Have an old pair that I use when melting wheel weights as well. Frank
    I open all my single and double cavity molds by hand. However I can't do that with 4-8 cavity molds. If you can you're a very strong person.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    I open all my single and double cavity molds by hand. However I can't do that with 4-8 cavity molds. If you can you're a very strong person.
    If you lube the sprue plate with a high temp synthetic 2 stroke oil you can open it before the lead freezes. Takes very little pressure at that point and the lube eliminates lead smears.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

I use a belaying pin. You know the thing the pirates use in the movies. I have some from a topsail schooner I crewed on.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    +1 on the rawhide mallet, I have 3 different weights, usually, only need the 2 oz. one
    How many cavities are you using the two ounce mallet for? I have aluminum eight bangers, and a few sharp rap on the handle bolt is usually needed to get the casts (bevel based pistol boolits, with lube groove) to drop. So far the tools I've tried, which are all light, havent worked well. This includes leaded loaded wooden dowels and a small rubber coated dead blow hammer. The brass end of the hammer and rapping with the side of my steel needle nosed pliers works better, but have already scarred the molds with the occasional misaimed blow. Same with tapping on the side of the handles as was suggested to get some lateral displacement.

I think I need to hit harder or heavier with something non marring, and the right weight rawhide mallet may be a good choice.

Boolit Master

I used a hammer handle, then a tape-wrapped 1" dowel, and now use a nice little plastic mallet.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4752 (1).JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	157.2 KB 
ID:	241649
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy
    I started out using a 1 inch oak dowel. It became a splintered mess in a short amount of time. Now I use one of those orange plastic "dead blow" hammers. I think I saw a picture of someone using one, maybe in the Lyman 4th edition Cast Bullets book, but I cannot remember for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I use a broken shovel handle cut down to around 14 inches.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaLar View Post
    Attachment 240394

Harbor Freight Pittsburgh®- Item#66205
    been using it for a few years. Before used an old hammer handle.
    saw the above post and got one, too. works great and less filling

now all I have to do it look at the mold with it in my hand and the sprue plate opens by itself
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

The cheapness of our community is evident in this thread! I use a mini rawhide mallet, not easy to find, so I paid way too much. But it gives me some satisfaction to have a nice dedicated tool for the job which will last a lifetime on the casting bench.

Banned
    I don't use a mallet. No need to beat on my molds because the bullets fall out simply because of the action of the casting machine. I use a Ballisti-cast Mark IV bullet caster. I simply make sure the molds are clean and the lead is hot enough and its crank and go.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast