Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why don't other mold makers use the Lee Style Sprue Plate with Cutter?

Boolit Bub

Why don't other mold makers use the Lee Style Sprue Plate with Cutter?

Why don't other mold makers (besides MP) use the Lee style sprue plate with cutter. It is so quick and easy to cut the sprue without needing a mallet. Lee's patent must have run out by now, just like the many makers who are now offering Lyman M style expanders.

Or, at least offer the Lee style sprue plate as an option when purchasing a mold. MP Mold makes a great steel sprue plate and cutter handle, much better quality than the Lee. I sure would like to see more makers following MP's lead on this one.

I can't be the only one that likes this style of sprue plate...?

Accurate Molds has a hole in their plates to mount a lee cam.

I no longer buy any mold that doesn't either have a cam mount or come with the cam style plate.

I'm with you on this one. The old mallet routine sucks once you get used to the ease of the cam.

Moderator Emeritus

While I like the Lee cam design, I find opening the sprue plate on a hot mold with a gloved hand just as easy, and maybe even more easy. The extra length the Lee Cam adds to the sprue plate can be awkward/cumbersome, compared to a sprue plate without it.
    that's my 2¢
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I agree with John B. A handle or mallet is not needed and unwelcome regards a sprue plate. I wish Accurate would go back to his original style and stop tinkering with the pattern trying to make some fringe customers happy.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

I think it is just a matter of what you feel comfortable with. I use both mallet and the sprue plate cam depending on the mold I happen to be using at the moment.
    I have been working with both long enough that switching from one to the other is not a problem for me.

I really like my Lee molds
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    While I like the Lee cam design, I find opening the sprue plate on a hot mold with a gloved hand just as easy, and maybe even more easy. The extra length the Lee Cam adds to the sprue plate can be awkward/cumbersome, compared to a sprue plate without it.
    that's my 2¢
    yep yep agreed however the Lee method does work well
    so I guess its a win for everyone
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Well thinking about geometry the cam might work better with a 6 cavity mold than with the more typical 1-2 cavity molds that were the staple of bullet casters for generations ?? There is a progressive cutting action going on as well, more motion at the rear of the plate, less and less the closer you get to the pivot point.

Lee really has broken up long standing price barriers to a lot of things over the years. Carbide pistol dies for one thing...others made them but they were VERY expensive in comparison. The low priced 6 cavity molds are another example....the 6 cavity examples that were "traditional" were very heavy and quite expensive.

I bought some Lyman molds that came from an estate, the former owner who I never met had welded a cheap screwdriver to each sprue plate, allowing him to cut the sprue without a hammer.

The rapper or hammer used to cut the sprue is dual purpose too, most users use it to tap the hinge of the handles to encourage bullets to drop from the mold. Some authors encouraged wearing heavy gloves and cutting sprues by hand even with a Lyman.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Buddy

I really like the Lee style sprue plate with cutter. I have at least 8 Lee 6 cavity moulds, the price is real good also.
    I also have a MP mould with the Lee style sprue plate with cutter.
    I wish NOE offered this style of sprue cutter. I'd buy bunch them right away.

Boolit Buddy
    I modified my NOE sprue plate to accept a Lee Cam.

I’m talking to a friend who owns a machine shop about producing the Lee style for NOE molds.

That device is perhaps the most un needed contraption ever devised.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    I agree with Dan Cash.

Boolit Bub
    I like it and would buy one for a NOE 5 cavity that I have.

Boolit Master
    As someone with bad arthritis I can tell you that the cutter versus a mallet or gloved hand is not a useless contraption. If they made them I would equip all my NOE molds with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dvdmacdaddy View Post
    I modified my NOE sprue plate to accept a Lee Cam.

I’m talking to a friend who owns a machine shop about producing the Lee style for NOE molds.
    I'm another that tends to use a gloved hand to open the sprue. I do however like the Lee cam plates and the similar feature of MP molds. Especially like that MP inserts a counter sunk flat head screw where the cam pushes on the aluminum mold block so the softer aluminum isn't damaged by the sprue cam.

I started drilling and tapping to do the same screw head at wear point for the Lee 6 cavity.

I would suggest if you pursue the manufacture of the sprue plate you consider doing a group buy in the group buy discussion forum. Get responses on interest and work out details. You might also want to consider that price wise NOE could decide to offer it as an option or as an after market enhancement and leverage their market share to greatly reduce your available market.

You might need the existing sprue plate to modify rather than making own which could also make it a bit harder to sell with shipping in both directions. The Lee cam lever is a $5.98 part and the handle is another $1.50 plus shipping of approx. $7.50 so $16 in parts and drill a hole in the right location in from side and end.

I don't want to discourage you, exactly the opposite, I like it when folks put effort into improving the products we use and sharing the innovative ideas they come up with. I'm just pointing out there may be some speed bumps on the road to commercial success with the idea. Some folks will not have the skills or tools to DIY and others may be willing to pay a premium to not have to DIY how large that market is I have no idea but I may well look into getting the parts and doing a 5 cavity NOE next time I order from Titan Reloading.

As someone that isn't comfortable with large heavy molds for long periods I appreciate the lighter mold block of Lee 6 cavity, while recognizing that there is less aluminum of a less dense variety as a downside to that lighter weight. I also like the other manufactures such as NOE 4 and 5 cavity molds for their higher productivity and manageable weight. Adding a cam handle would be a good enhancement IF there was no desire on my part to continue the gloved hand sprue plate opening on that mold. The extra handle is sort of in the way for that.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned
    I agree with Rich/WIS, I started out with the heavy glove routine then made a sprue plate opening jig.

Much easier on my hands.

Heavy gloves are cumbersome, get hot and are hard to find in 3-4XL.

Beating on a sprue plate with a mallet can't be good for the mold.

If you start filling a mold on the end nearest the sprue plate hinge it's easier to open. But,

I like to alternate ends in filling a mold to help keep the heat even.

My 2¢

Boolit Master
    This has been interesting, I’ve never given it a moments thought before reading this thread. I s’pose I just work with what I get. I don’t see how wacking a mold* on the right spot does it any harm...but then, I’ve only been casting for 8 years. Wacking molds is part of my casting routine, regardless of whether there’s a cam lever.

*To be precise, never actually hitting the mold itself, just the main handle bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boolseye; 06-17-2019 at 12:50 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I prefer the Cam as I have to do my casting after the family, mainly my toddler has gone to bed, other wise he wants to “help”. I cast in my garage it shares a wall with the master bedroom. Momma isn’t too happy when I’m banging on a mold while she is trying to sleep.

Banned

Have a lot of both
    The cam works well for me
    Love that MP and Accurate offer them as well as Lee
    No cam, then use glove/mallet
    Love to see the strong opinions about sprue plate design
    As always use what you like

Boolit Master
    I don't like to hit molds with anything.

Hot plate preheat and TIG gloves work for me,only the first two,three sprue cuts need to be very quick. Then it's all up to temp.

I use some Lee sixbangers but I don't really love neither need the cutter system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast