Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slicking up a Winchester '73. Any advice?

Boolit Buddy
    Has the action been completely stripped and cleaned? That would be the first thing to do or have done. if it's full of old oil and crud it will never work or feel right. I bought a Rossi model 92 44-40 a few years ago that was new in box but probably 10+ years old. the oil in it was all sticky and the lever felt like mush. once cleaned and lubed it's a whole different rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by .45colt View Post
    Has the action been completely stripped and cleaned? That would be the first thing to do or have done. if it's full of old oil and crud it will never work or feel right. I bought a Rossi model 92 44-40 a few years ago that was new in box but probably 10+ years old. the oil in it was all sticky and the lever felt like mush. once cleaned and lubed it's a whole different rifle.
    Iv'e done all that. I just adjusted the main spring and everything is fine now

Boolit Buddy
    That's Great, You have a very nice Rifle. enjoy.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hp246 View Post
    CAS And oh yeah. You probably want two, cause all that fine tuning prematurely wears the guns out, so you need a spare. Some have three. One to shoot, one spare and one in the shop being repaired.
    Not exactly true!!! If a "tuner" knows what they are doing, longevity is the main goal!! Just making a S.A. or a rifle work "easier" . . . . done just for that in mind, leads to early failure. The true art is to be able to have a "race gun" last this week, next week, next month, next year!!
    I sold an El Patron Comp that was a main carry gun for me to a good, local customer, that had been fanned daily for 2 1/2+ years, 50 cycles a day (100 when I added a .45acp cyl ( 50 ea.) just as an R&D exercise) and it is his favorite revolver period! With "all that wear" are you kidding me?!! True, it's an amazing setup but . . . . longevity was the most important factor . . . . I bet my life on it!!

Specs. - just shy of a 3 pound hammer draw, 2 1/2 pound trigger pull, coil spring action, bolt block, action stop . . . . fast as lightening!!! NOT one of 3, . . . . 1 of 1!!!!

Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12