RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pewter

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    You nailed it! I knew I had seen it someplace I just couldn’t put a name with it . Thanks JonB_in_Glencoe
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Well thanks to JonB_in_Glencoe, I know that the mug came from the long defunct (since 1990) Warner Communications company. Probably some promotional thing . It is pewter. All of it except the glass bottom . After some Internet research I can’t see it being worth morning about eight bucks so unless someone knows more than I do it’s going in the pot tomorrow . I want to thank everyone for their help and your suggestions they were greatly appreciate it . As usual this form proves to be one of the best on the Internet !

Boolit Master
    In your picture, just above the JUSTENS is a rolled crimp to hold the ring with the JUSTENS stamped on it against the glass. I unroll that with slip joint pliers and knock the glass out over the trash can. I try to scrape as much of the caulk that seals the glass and pewter. It's not absolutely necessary. The ring with the JUSTENS may be either pewter or aluminum. Most handles are pewter but may be questionable alloy. I melt the body and check the handle and ring to see if they are pewter. If they don't melt right away, I pull them and chuck them.

I ladle pour pewter 1/8" deep into mini muffin tins. They weigh from 1-3 ounces each. About right for adding to a 10-20 lb pot of alloy.

I try to hold my melt temps 450-500degF. Most stuff that ain't pewter will float on the surface. When your temp gets away from you the surface will oxide and turn all kinds of colors starting with gold, then blue, and finally black. It doesn't take much heat to melt pewter.

Good Luck

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Melt it

Boolit Master
    All melted guys! Thanks for the help

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12