Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Lyman Grand American

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.

Lyman Grand American

One of my son's friends bought a Lyman GA from a local scrap yard. He is planning on refurbishing it. Do any of you know what years they made them, and what their current value is? It reminds me of a mix of All American and MEC Super 600/650N parts. Thanks.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't remember the exact dates for the Grand American, but apparently they didn't stay in production very long and weren't made in as large numbers as some of the other Lyman products. If you do a search on this forum, they've been discussed here several times and you might also go over to the Antique Reloading Tool Collectors' Association (ARTCA) Forum as IIRC they have also been discussed there recently. The Search Function is our friend!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    OK, I had a couple of minutes, so I found out that your GA was produced from about 1960-65 with only about 1000 units sold. You can get a set of instructions online at;
    https://www.lymanproducts.com/media/use ... _press.pdf
    I found this and much more at this thread on the ARTCA Forum;
    http://www.antiquereloadingtools.com...php?f=8&t=7553
    but you may have to join (free) ta access it.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    You're welcome. Glad I could help.
    Froggie

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    You're welcome. Glad I could help.
    Froggie
    Thanks! In spite of how long it took me to respond, I do appreciate you taking time to answer. Sorry it took so long to properly thank you.

Last edited by jimkim; 04-27-2019 at 08:16 AM.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

One of those would go nicely with my turret press I Wonder how many are left out there. I guess Im just a fan of any thing 50 yrs or older
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Grand Master
    No problem, jimkim, I just wanted to know that you had gotten it and I sent what you needed. BTW, were you able to get into the ARTCA site and read the thread I noted? Could you get the Lyman Instruction sheet?

Mike, as I said in my expanded response, the collector fraternity seems to have agreed on a number of only about 1000. Although they were a fairly high end item back then, the ones I’m seeing or hearing about now show signs of disuse and disrepair. I don’t know whether to ascribe this to age and legitimate wear and tear, an unsuccessful design (not durable) or that the good ones are still treasured and in use... not enough of a sample to really tell. The folks over on the ARTCA Forum who have discussed them seem to favor a combination of explanations 1 and 3, and are willing to put some effort into rehabbing theirs as they find them. I wish I could speak from more personal experience, but I missed my chance. Twenty five years ago I was in Wake Forest, NC for a dive trip to a flooded quarry. On the way home we stopped at a combination gas station junk shop and there was a dirty, neglected Grand American with no reservoir jars, just sitting in the floor looking forlorn. I could have probably bought it for $20 or so, but I had bubbles on the brain and ignored it.

As for putting it with your Turret Press, I thought of getting one to put between my Lyman All American and my MEC 600 Jr... it looks kinda like their illegitimate child.

Froggie

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    No problem, jimkim, I just wanted to know that you had gotten it and I sent what you needed. BTW, were you able to get into the ARTCA site and read the thread I noted? Could you get the Lyman Instruction sheet?

Mike, as I said in my expanded response, the collector fraternity seems to have agreed on a number of only about 1000. Although they were a fairly high end item back then, the ones I’m seeing or hearing about now show signs of disuse and disrepair. I don’t know whether to ascribe this to age and legitimate wear and tear, an unsuccessful design (not durable) or that the good ones are still treasured and in use... not enough of a sample to really tell. The folks over on the ARTCA Forum who have discussed them seem to favor a combination of explanations 1 and 3, and are willing to put some effort into rehabbing theirs as they find them. I wish I could speak from more personal experience, but I missed my chance. Twenty five years ago I was in Wake Forest, NC for a dive trip to a flooded quarry. On the way home we stopped at a combination gas station junk shop and there was a dirty, neglected Grand American with no reservoir jars, just sitting in the floor looking forlorn. I could have probably bought it for $20 or so, but I had bubbles on the brain and ignored it.

As for putting it with your Turret Press, I thought of getting one to put between my Lyman All American and my MEC 600 Jr... it looks kinda like their illegitimate child.

Froggie
    The ARTCA link works fine. The Lyman link worked a few days ago, but seems to be dead now.