Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teflon patching 45-70

Boolit Buddy

Teflon patching 45-70

I have tried this method and had excellent results, two complete wraps going the same direction of twist.
    There never was any fouling after and the bore was nice and shiny after a range session, I never had any Teflon tape foul the bore.
    I fired a 420 grain hard cast into a sand bank at about two feet, the Teflon was still attached to the slug.
    I don't use his method all the time, but it does work and accuracy is very good as well.
    The 45-70, the only Government I trust.
    The Gospel of speed is accuracy.

Banned

i'd say having the patch ride the bullet down to the target is not a good thing. we want the patch to strip off fast, right at the muzzle ...

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    i'd say having the patch ride the bullet down to the target is not a good thing. we want the patch to strip off fast, right at the muzzle ...

You may be talking apples and oranges.
    He did say teflon, not paper and he said he had very good accuracy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    You may be talking apples and oranges.
    He did say teflon, not paper and he said he had very good accuracy.
    you may be right ... or wrong. we'd both need to know more of exactly what the OP is loading, and the shooting distance.

if teflon was a viable if not better slick patching material, the BPCR/TR boys would be using it in droves. ain't happening. real paper rules.

though i'm very sceptical of teflon for slick patching, i'm always open to learning something better ....

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I would have to see some example of the claim to "very good accuracy" to even begin to consider using teflon.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Being a plumber at one time I had a lot of teflon tape in the putty wagon and I wrapped some bullets with it, this was around 2000 or maybe in the 90's and I found a lot of lead in the bore. I made a post on the old shooters or maybe GBO and everybody started raving about using it and down the line out came guys using masking tape making comments how much easier it was to wrap a slick or grooved using it.

Boolit Grand Master

It will work done for either comes off at the muzzle or stays on to the target. But if it stays on all the way the edges cant fray or peel any, the bc is slightly lower di to friction and rifling engraving, Even the base has to maintain the same tight fold under every time. The patch that sheds at the muzzle maintains integrity better, the bullet stays more smooth sided. The recovered patches tell the story on how the loads perform.

I can see Teflon working but also see some issues unique to it. Cutting patches might be trickier, the stretch would be harder to control when wrapping, the durability if them for handling and loading may be less.

CG,
    Teflon is so thin especially when you wrap it, it gets thinner and two wraps will just give you problems with lead smears because the patch will be thinner then the groove is deep. When wrapping you need several wraps to overcome this and the patch will ride down range. No worry about the patch going to 1/2 over the end because it's so thin. Teflon is far from good results. ave teflon for pipe threads what it was made for. It works good for that use.

Banned

i'd love to see real world BPCR results at 50, 500 and 1000 yards with teflon tape "patched" PPBs for at least the ubiquitous .45-70 cartridge, and at least a dozen shots per distance. that would be either a crow eating eye-opener or a bogus deal breaker. i'd bet big dollar$ on the later. a waste of time, effort and money.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    you may be right ... or wrong. we'd both need to know more of exactly what the OP is loading, and the shooting distance.

if teflon was a viable if not better slick patching material, the BPCR/TR boys would be using it in droves. ain't happening. real paper rules.

though i'm very sceptical of teflon for slick patching, i'm always open to learning something better ....

I have not tried teflon. In the end, whether it works or not, it sort of violates my whole motivation for shooting like I do.

Also, I do not believe that teflon would be legal at BPCR/TR.

Masking tape and mailing lables are other patching materials that some people like but I have not tried.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    I have not tried teflon. In the end, whether it works or not, it sort of violates my whole motivation for shooting like I do.
    This is also my view of it. Although admittedly I do use LDPE wads under my PP bullets so I'm a little hypocritical

Chris.

Boolit Master
    I confess to the LDPE too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    I confess to the LDPE too.
    HDPE too?

Boolit Master
    Nope. I have got my limits.

But I strongly suspect there is no plant in my "veggie fiber" wads.

Banned
    I made a 30 cal mold for Teflon patch in a 30-06 and at 1600 fps was sub 1 inch at 100 yds. Went back to paper

Sub one inch groups at 100 yards with Teflon? How much better is paper than that?
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Banned

i really hafta question sub MOA groups @ 100yds with a teflon patch. is this a bore rider or groove rider? what is the cartridge and what was the bullet diameter? if by "teflon" this talk means plumber's tape, and since that tape will stretch like crazy during its application, and may NOT retain that stretched state, how in the world can a constant patched slicks diameter be expected to be kept? will the tape shed or ride the bullet to the mark? i'd like a lot more explanation and show 'n' tell about teflon tape patching slicks for long range guns, and their teflon performance at all distances.

Boolit Mold
    Worked with .45 ACP when I tried it back in the 1980s. Handloader magazine had an article, and it caught my fancy. Had to use 3 wraps to get it to stop leading though.

is this the "thin" white Teflon used for water pipe threaded joints Or the MUCH THICKER yellow or pink stuff used for natural gas pipe connections?

Banned

why reinvent a wheel that ain't broke? besides, it's bad enuf that i use plastic wads in a 19th century cartridge.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast