Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: Frankfort Arsenal de-capper, 1909 vintage

Boolit Master

Frankfort Arsenal de-capper, 1909 vintage

I recently picked up this old Arsenal de-capper, with instruction sheet dated 1909. They were provided at small unit levels for use in creating gallery practice ammo. The device handles .38 and .45 pistol, and .30 rifle (Krag and '06) cases- and everything in between. By removing the decapping pin you can (carefully) re-cap with it too. Everything is intact in the case, including the small funnel and cleaning brush, as well as the full compliment of spare de-capping pins. I had one many years ago and had despaired of ever finding another. When I spotted it setting on a table at a show I was on it like a chicken on a June bug!

Boolit Master
    Great find! Sarco or somebody was selling the tongs alone in the ‘70’s (for cheap) without the attachments or box. I got a pair because they were cheap, but haven’t been able to do much with them.

Boolit Master
    What are you missing?

Boolit Master
    Easier to say what I have. The tongs, with the swiveling head on the long jaw and the thumb nut on the short one. No rods, brushes, box, etc.

Boolit Master
    So, no primer ejecting spindle (that fits into the rotating head)? That spindle has a tapered shank to fit the tapered hole in the rotating head, and the barrel of it unscrews, as does the rod (to captivate the decapping pin).

I can xerox a copy of the parts list if that would help you. That primer ejecting spindle (or a reasonable facsimile) wouldn't be too terribly hard to make. The spindle is hollow and allows the rifle case to fit up inside it, I guess to keep it aligned straight. I don't see why it has to be so complicated!

The thumb nut on the other jaw is unscrewed to create a pocket into which the spent primer is caught. Screw the nut in tight and it provides an anvil to push the new primer into the case. (Obviously the decapping pin must be removed from the spindle when using it to push a case down onto the new primer.)

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the offer, gnoahhh. I already have Ideal tools in all the calibers this one would cover, and more projects pending than I can count. I’ll just keep the tongs as a curio.