Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's you most enjoyable part of loading? Needed the sister thread!

I'd say my favorite part is loading of the finished round followed closely by seeing a pile of bullets grow while casting. I enjoy making my own ammunition.

Boolit Master

The best part is when all the tiny details come together and show up on paper. Right components, right weights and dimensions, and the jerk behind the trigger does his part.

So satisfying.

Boolit Grand Master

The best most rewarding part of reloading is when I get the honor to help a newcomer get started. Helping them learn and get started producing good ammo and understanding is the most rewarding. Ive had this honor a few time and asked to help with a couple classes over the years.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I ave actually two - seating and then crimping since I do them in two operations - enjoyable to see the assembled round!

Getting the parts and pieces prepared and finally in the end making them into a finished product. From making shiny trimmed brass where once there was grungy old brass, to filling the ammo cans with cast bullets that I then take out to PC or lube. To loading them and filling a bag, box or bin. At each step I get to see progress toward a goal stacking up. In the end all the individual processes come together and I get to make a finished product that is well made and has value. I do enjoy working toward a good solid recipe that I can return to each time I make more. I'm not as driven to find the best as some, I just want to make something I know will work well. Maybe eventually I'll get around to trying to find the best but for now works well is all I need to consider it a success.

I enjoy the scrounging of materials a lot. Scoring lead is great! Going to check on lead is like opening a present. Could always be something really good, even if just "ok" lead or a little solder it is finding something I value. I like getting or rigging up the tools to accomplish a new operation or caliber. This tool will allow me to .... do something new. A new challenge, a new skill, a new chance to come up with how I want to do this.
    Shooting them afterwards is just a bonus.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    That last crank of the handle that crimps the bullet.

In Remembrance

Successfully shooting the rounds that I loaded, that is the rounds hitting in good groups and no misfires.

load development and target testing for sure......it's the biggest part of the reason I do it. Don't get me wrong...I enjoy the process (except for chamfering and deburring), but at the end of the day....it's about the target. I also load for some somewhat obscure stuff....and there's fun there in getting something shooting when ya can't buy it off the shelf.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think when you finally get a gun wired for a couple loads and you can really trust your process/boolit/load to be accurate.
    I really enjoy shooting my own boolits because it is dialed into the gun. I was talking to some folks at a match and they asked me how much it cost me to make a round. I had 40 S&W and I said around 7 or 8 cents - which is about right. He said "Oh, you are trading your time for just a little money." I told him that "I trade my time for boolits I like shooting and that I could not buy if I wanted to."
    Second is probably seating the boolit.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    Loading with my boys. Period. Showing them how to cast their bullets, clean their brass, anneal, shooting ladders for optimum loads, measuring powder and confirming EVERYTHING. My oldest has had the same 20 cases for his 300 wsm since he got it. He's got hundreds more, but his twenty are always impeccable. He's likely got 15-20 firings per piece of brass, he anneals every 5 loadings, measures and trims when needed each time. My youngest keeps his 25-20's hoarded like gold, waiting for his next outing. They look forward to it, and I think that I cannot imagine a better way to spend an evening.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    l like it ALL. From scrounging lead to pulling the trigger. Then hearing that ''CLANG'' on a 55 pound RAM @ 200 Meters

Boolit Grand Master

Turning a dirty pile of scrap lead into boxes filled with perfectly cast , sized and lubricated boolits !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Like many others above, the whole process is satisfying. If I had to narrow it down to "favorites", it's seeing the coated, baked and sized boolits in a big pile, thinking, "I made those". A close second is showing them off to shooting friends and having them ask if I'll be selling any (unlikely: these are MINE! ;^D).

Moderator Emeritus

Reckoning after getting all requisite components; setting dies up in press; doing perhaps a few really unnecessary, but I do them anyway things to brass, meticulously measuring powder, and finally cranking them out -- perhaps the most rewarding part is when I "quality inspect" and turn each case in a bit of paper toweling, put it in the MTM case... and have the greatest feeling of accomplishment in having something which (to my way of thinking ) may even be too pretty to shoot. (But -- -- I do that -- what it's all about. (Second satisfaction is when I hit the target!)

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    What's you most enjoyable part of loading?
    ... When I find the unique mold for all the obsolete caliber rifles I reload for: including original or custom molds. After that enjoy casting and lubing all the steps
    Example: There are only 3 owners a Schuetzen rifle with a 9.5x47R caliber (vintage 1880-1900) in the US. We found a German bullet catalog and did a diagram - sent it to Tom at Accurate Molds - the rifle is now a shooter
    Regards
    John

Hitting the game field with handcrafted CB's.

Boolit Master
    Destructive testing to review quality and specifications of my finished product in the specific device the product was built for.

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    ... When I find the unique mold for all the obsolete caliber rifles I reload for: including original or custom molds. After that enjoy casting and lubing all the steps
    Example: There are only 3 owners a Schuetzen rifle with a 9.5x47R caliber (vintage 1880-1900) in the US. We found a German bullet catalog and did a diagram - sent it to Tom at Accurate Molds - the rifle is now a shooter
    Tom at Accurate molds is amazing. Because of my ideas and him being so flexible, I'm shooting cast lead tokarev rounds around 1500-1600 fps and I LOVE it. They are accurate as all get out and they go BANG! Really load BANG!
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Grand Master

I like just about all of it, even case prep. I enjoy looking at a big pile of shiny new ingots after a long day smelting or a pile of shiny new bullets after a casting session. I like looking at a pile of loaded ammo and I like looking at a good group that I just shot with ammo that I loaded.

Banned

yes sir! reloading and casting to me hasn't been what I call fun in 20 years. When I first started maybe but now its a job that has to be done if I want to shoot. Shooting is the fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by goryshaw View Post
    The loud BANG part after I've finished.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast