RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The little 25/20 - Obsolete??

The little 25/20 - Obsolete??

It is near impossible to purchase 25/20 cases in this part of the world. Starline ceased production and the only ammo available is Hornady at $AU149 for 50!

There must be enough rifles and demand for at least one company to make brass shells!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

You may want to use Starline 32-20 brass to make 25-20 brass.

Starline makes the 32-20 just a tad short, and necking the brass down usuallyy makes it grow, but there's not enough growth to get full length 25-20 specs.

All the same, they usually function just fine.

If you go the 32-20 brass route (new or used), be sure to run a 32-20 expander pug into the new 32-20 brass & full length resize before you neck them down.

Ensure that the case mouth is perfectly round before necking them down.

The use of Imperial sizing die wax will reduce case loss to nil.

Alternately, resize/de-prime .32-20 brass with the 32-20 dies, then anneal the case necks via standing them up in a shallow pan of water with just the top half out of the water.

In a dimly-lit room (to better see the color change), use a propane torch to bring the case necks to a low cherry glow and tip them over into the water, one at a time.

From there you can .25-20 dies with either the Imperial wax or Dillon's case lube.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

I had waited for years for an affordable old lever gun or pump in 25-20. I had 75 once fired cases, finally sold them because I could not come up with a reasonably priced gun that had a good bore. I have shot many over the years and really like the caliber for a plinker.

Boolit Master

I feel your pain B.A. My best advice would be to round up your chronies with similar needs (like on this thread, for instance), and have everybody contact Starline. Starline listens; we were able to orchestrate a run of .455 Webley MKII cases not long ago in similar fashion, and that's a dimensional exotic. Since they also do .32-20, the re-tool for them should be pretty straightforward.

Of course, they also do .32-20 at $116 U.S.D. for 500, so you could go the re-form route. A bit of a pain, but cheaper than the Hornady ammo by a LONG way!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    It is near impossible to purchase 25/20 cases in this part of the world. Starline ceased production and the only ammo available is Hornady at $AU149 for 50!

There must be enough rifles and demand for at least one company to make brass shells!
    Is Load-X an option for you? I purchased 500 cases from them last September for what I considered a reasonable price. I also learned that Starline will make a run of most anything with an order for 100,000 units.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    You might try http://gadcustomcartridges.com if they can't help i have no idea.

Boolit Master
    BAW, you might try to get some 218 Bee brass. I just checked.
    Hornady brand 218 Bee brass is available at Grafs.
    YOu can simply neck it up to use as 25-20 WCF repeater.
    Don't know what the deal is for you to get it from USA,
    but I have heard of people ordering brass out here. and then sending it to Au.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    Yea, it's obsolete and it's really a shame as it is a great round. Fortunately I have enough brass to keep my two 25/20s shooting for the rest of my days. I would still buy another 500 if starline would make a run. I might get 32/20 as a back up.

Boolit Master
    I have been tempted to sell my 25-20 brass when I see it selling for $2 a case. The only 25-20 barrel I have is for a Contender. So I could maybe sell 600 cases for somewhere between $600 and $1200 and buy me a nice 25-20 rifle that I could not shoot unless I formed 32-20 brass.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    The Load X brass is Starline. I believe that they had a custom run done.
    My 11 year old son has an 1892 SRC and a Lee Loader. I gave him 50 pieces of brass, 500 cast bullets and primers and a pound of powder. He is down to around 100 bullets and primers, and still has 46 pieces of brass. We did anneal before starting, but it seems like it's very good quality.
    Finding the 60gr flat point jacketed bullets has been problematic lately for me!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    My 23B came with most of a box of shells. When I went looking to buy more I could only find one gunshop that had a single 50 round box for around 48 bucks, about 53 bucks total with sales tax, and I had to make a round trip of over 100 miles to get those. I made a day of it and bought some more hard to find items and visited a shooting range I'd never been to before or since.

Haven't been out shooting for quite a while. The 25-20 is an excellent cartridge, and my 23B is sighted perfectly for the factory loads.
    No more often than I go shooting these days I may never use up the few rounds I have.
    If I run across a period correct scope I might mount it and try for neck shots on deer. But probably not.
    Anything else I might hunt with it would be easy meat within the non scoped effective range.

Boolit Grand Master

Loaded ammo is still available https://ammoseek.com/ammo/25-20-winchester
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Forming it is super easy, and I can do it with zero rejects. Going from there down to .218 Bee I loose 1-2 per 100 due to neck creasing. Just form it from 32-20 and call it done - make a few extra and sell it to your buddies to cover the cost of the Redding intermediate forming die and extended shell holder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	163198614.7SWVfPsI.P5110177.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	240366

Boolit Master

YES and its been obsolete for YEARS!!

But I have a couple so chambered and I for one will not let it DIE!

I bought my first dedicated mold last year!!

Been loading for it since my earliest days learning loading. 22Hornet, 218 Bee, 25/20 & 32/20. I still have all these original rifles so chambered plus a couple I picked up in the last 40+ years.

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 04-25-2019 at 10:50 AM.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Not obsolete at my house, my Marlin probably gets used more than any other rifle. Still using on a few hundred Rem cases from years ago and have reformed a box of Starline 32-20 cases to see how well it worked. With a couple hundred 32-20 cases in reserve, I'm probably set till the rifle is inheireted by my son.

Boolit Master
    What a pickle I'm in..........

I have brass, dies and a good mould,
    but no rifle !!

I do load for a friend and his son, and they
    don't shoot their rifle. I shot it more doing
    load development and sighting in !!

Do you suppose I should step up the search ?

Ammunition Artifacts sells the brass, though all it says is 39 bucks. Not sure if that's 50 or 100? But says twice annealed anyway. Its made from Starline 32/20. I've had a 92 for years, once you use them it's hard to go without one. I've contemplated getting a Contender barrel and trying pointy jacketed pills but just can't justify it now. For flatnose, 75gr Speers are all but gone, Hornady's 60 grainer is hard to find too. I bought up a bunch of 86gr Remington's years ago that had two cannelures also for 25/35 and have used them for awhile. I like, but the 75 Speer seems better for me. The round is efficient, shoots well for any sane range with open sites, and isn't so loud at all. I wish the round had a new platform to go with, it's like a 22 mag on steroids, but reloadable.

Boolit Grand Master
    Try and find some of the WW 60gr HP bullets!!! Used to shoot those in my '92. Have a few 60gr FP and have shot some 75gr spire point bullets too. 25-20 was my first centerfire rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FredBuddy View Post

but no rifle !!

Yes, buy your friends rifle!

Boolit Master
    Same here. I have lots of components but no rifle. I have been looking for a rifle for about 10 years.
    I think I will have to get something rebarreled....

Quote Originally Posted by FredBuddy View Post

but no rifle !!

EDG

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast