Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 303 Brit with light boolets

I have a light weight sporterized Lee Enfield with an oversized counter taper bore that I want to dedicate to light boolits. I have a patched 170 gr boolit that seems to fit the throat. I could shorten that boolit to make it lighter but I do wonder whether shortening would increase the tendency to cant. I don't want to paper patch for subsonic shooting though. Chances are the patch won't come off quick enough or evenly. How does powder coating hold up in rough bores? This one has a rough bore.

I have thought of hollow nose or even hollow base boolits to maintain the boolit length. For subsonic, hollow base should be fine.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    I tried some lyman 311359 115gr spire points over 9grs of unique in a .303 martini carbine I had for a while. The carbine had a great bore but at 25 yds I couldn't keep any of the rounds on a 10" steel plate and the G.I. ammo I had shot the same way. I knew the martini was rifled for the older 215 gr bullet but I figured it might only be a elevation issue.

I have a martini carbine barrel on a MLE action. The bore is what one might describe as somewhat worn and lightly rusted (by which I mean very fine rust - no pitting) but the rifling is still visible, getting stronger toward the muzzle then fading a bit again. This thing shot paper patched, throat sized boolits just fine, like near MOA at 100m (110yds) with those old martini sights.

The throat is large enough to so that the case neck needs no sizing and the boolit fits tight enough not to move after seating. I wonder how it would perform with similarly sized plain cast or powder coated? The paper patched loads were mid range, about 1800 fps with 208gr boolits. If I were to try lighter plain case in it I would choose a boolit that resembles the patched ones but with the nose shortened.

I plan on using this rifle with heavy paper patched, flat nosed boolits at mid velocity with fast powder as a handy close range hunting rifle. But if it works with light plain cast ....

Boolit Master
    I personally think shooting boolits smaller than .315 in any model Lee Enfield is a waste of powder, I also never size my cases, just reload as fired. Any shot gun/pistol powder from 6-10grns works in light loads, a card wad under a PB boolit can improve accuracy or likewise do nothing, it's fun either way.

I used Lee's CTL 312-160-2R, designed, I think, by Ed Harris, for the AK. Pressed on a gas check then tumbled them in Ben's liquid lube. Shot great, no leading as cast. You could beagle the mold if you needed a larger dia. boolit.

Probably all the information you need to get here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Rifles-Article
    Last edited by 15meter; 04-28-2019 at 08:34 AM.

Boolit Master
    Lots of good advice on that link. Every 303 I've loaded for, over 20 to date have shot very well with 23grns of AR2207 (H4198) and 28grns of AR2206H (H4895) under 200grn or above boolits sized as big as possible. Likewise, 10grns of Trail Boss is great fun under a light boolit at any range, you just need lots of elevation from 100m on.

I have two of 'the' powders missing - 2400 and H4198. I have plenty of H4227 (AR2205) though and recently got some H4895 (AR2206H). I chose the latter because I want to be able to shoot 150gr jacketeds too but I do have a hankering for H4198. When I get around to more shooting I might still get some but it sounds like H4227 is a good compromise and my own testing seems to indicate that. With a positioner it seems one can go fairly mild with 4227.

Interesting that the article mentions fairly soft scrap lead as being more accurate. I found that with paper patched, soft alloy performed well and as I mentioned earlier, my 303 Martini barrel shot very well with it, paper patched.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 05-01-2019 at 01:08 AM.

Boolit Master
    I had good luck shooting subsonic round ball buckshot loads from my LE.
    Using 3-4 grains bullseye, 700x, or 4 grains unique.
    Use a fired ,unsized case and prime , powder and load in a round ball. Mine often will shoot thru the same hole up to twenty-five yards and they are accurate to fifty yards.
    Loads of fun. Try it at least once.
    Lube the round ball with Lee Liquid Alox and let it dry overnite.
    Or some times i just take crisco with me in a tin can and dip the end of the seated ball in the grease, or wipe a little with the end of your finger on the ball.
    Same load works fine with any .32 caliber cast pistol bullet from 77grains to 115 grains.
    With the better shaped pistol bullets good to 100 yards, with a high arc trajectory, but still accurate if you know how to set your sights. Also teaches follow thru due to longer bullet time spent in the barrel.Shooting these is like eating popcorn.Its addictive.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 07-06-2019 at 06:51 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    OK, now I have to start casting for my SMLE!

I run the lee 314 90gr tl tc boolit in my Jungle Carbine at around 900fps it will produce 1” groups at 50 yards with a steady hand much faster than 1300 FPS and it keyholes at 25 though the 900fps are very quite though

Boolit Master
    I have used the Lee C312-155-2R and a Lyman 311466, both in the 150-160 range. Both pour at about .313 and do well in my No4 MK 2. I still prefer the Lee 185.

Dave

Boolit Bub
    I tried something different last week. Loaded 5 of the 118g FP .314" boolets without sizing the cases, just crimped them with a Lee FCD. 6.7g HP38. Then shot the rest of the batch over 7g HP38 I loaded last year shown in post #8. Looks about the same spread. I've decided this worn out barrel will only ever be "scare a groundhog" accurate, but it's still fun to shoot with these pop can loads.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1097.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Best so far I have found ,no1Mk3, Lee 185 unsized, 11gns Unique. 1.25” 100yds. diluted Alox. GC. This week tried 311441 Ideal Mould GC. 118gns Lino. Various Unique & PB Loads, best was 1.5” 11gns PB.100yds. Most Unique loads 11gns to 12gns 3 “ to 4” groups, my other performing pill is a bumped up 311291,nose .304 rest is sized to .314 GC. also goes about 1.25”. My rifle is a Heavy Barrel ,target tuned and bedded. Aperture rear sight, front blade.

Cheers Mal in au.

One more vote for the lee 90gr SWC with bullseye in many 303's
    We really need a Ar-15 subforum!

Pretty much any suitable 30 calibre mould (.310 / .311 as cast?) should powder coat up to .314" ish and be more than suitable for an Enfield or Mosin. A few years ago a nearby distributor was selling 123 grain pulled bullets from 7.62x39 ammo at a good price so I bought 2,000 of them. Wish I'd bought more ... great plinker bullets at a great price.

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    @ Reverend al
    Those same bullets shot great in my Mosins.
    But were not worth a darn in my Two Groove Long Branch #4 with a .314 bore.
    But the price was right to give them a go.

I have loaded boolits (and bullets too) in unsized cases with a trick I tried. Seat a card wad into the neck to the desired depth (too far has obvious results ) then place a ball of lube on said wad (mouth up of course) then heat boolit and place into case mouth on top of ball of lube (use tweezers if you don't have heat resistant fingers) and the heat melts the boolits and holds them in the mouth. Lubes boolits at the same time.

Another trick I tried was to fit a paper hand towel cup in the case mouth, slip the bullet in this instance into the cup then dip the loaded bullet and neck into molten lube so that the paper cup soaks up the lube and 'glues' the bullet in place. The paper cup holds the bullet during this process. The idea being that the bullet is held in line with the bore on chambering and the molten lube holds the bullet in the case neck sufficiently to feed from the magazine. I don't recall testing these from the magazine but target results were pretty good. I was of course concerned with case neck tension which is absent. I didn't see any issues.

I'll be trying this out again with faster burning powder and a tougher lube which took me a few years to develop. My 22 hornet loading is done using this technique and produces very good accuracy and high velocity - 2740fps with 55gr bullets. Powder is heavily compressed Lil'Gun. But transposing this to a 303 Brit is new territory requiring caution.

Last edited by 303Guy; 07-15-2019 at 01:36 AM.

Do you folks get PRVY (Highland) bullets in your parts? I've only tried 180 grainers but they are great in my two-groove.

Last edited by 303Guy; 07-15-2019 at 01:34 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    303Guy: Grafs offers that PRVI bullet and some other suitable bullets, soft point and fmjbt. I have no experience with those bullets but may try them when my supply of other jacket bullets runs out.
    Urny
    Elko County, the old heart of Nevada

Boolit Bub
    Had the Enfield out last week and shot everything I had loaded in the old S&B brass. This brass has been neck sized at least 15 times and is getting work hardened. I'm going to use it to learn how the Anealeez machine I picked up works. Most of it was pop can loads with the 118g 32/20 slugs over 5.5g HP38, and a few 123 FMJ's. After 25 yrs. I'm still getting a ton of crap out of the barrel lol!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1142.jpg  
    Last edited by TankerDon; 08-07-2019 at 09:15 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast