Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone have load data for cast 55 grain 223

Moderator Emeritus

First, you've asked several times for OAL.
    You will find out, that the ideal COAL will be decided by your boolit and your Rifle...and if you are using PC, that'll add to the formula...So we can't give you a COAL. I believe I used a 0.010" jump to the lands, so I'd have reliable chambering and reliable ejection of a unfired round.

To successfully get a AR to cycle ammo (and be accurate), you need a slower burning powder that can be downloaded. From what I've read, one real good powder is H4895. Hodgdon says you can download it to 60% of their MAX load. It should be said that, IMR4895 is not the same, although they are similar, I don't think Dupont recommends the 60% download thing.

Here are some notes from my initial testing. You will need to do similar testing with your rifle, as it is a different rifle and you will get different results. Once you know what cycles your gun, you can continue with the usual ladder testing to find the most accurate load for your Boolit and your Rifle. You will probably find that the window is quite narrow for good accuracy. Good Luck

Using the 62gr HM˛ (.226/SL68B) loaded with H4895 for 556 AR (1:9).
    This was just a test to see what cycles the action.
    I loaded about 6 rds of each. 18gr. 19gr. 20gr. 21gr.

the 18gr didn't eject the brass
    the 19gr ejected the brass, but didn't cycle a new round into the chamber...except the last round, which jammed.
    the 20gr cycled as it should, but seemed slow, like a howitzer.
    the 21gr cycled perfectly.

This is a brand new DPMS gun, so spring and action may be stiff.
    I was shooting off-hand at 25 yards in the pistol pit, all 6 rd groups were 1 to 1.5" with a couple called fliers. so, not a good test of accuracy, but I've seen lots worse in other guns when boolit was poorly matched to load and/or gun.
    More info:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...load-data-help

Want more info, type "AR cast" into google custom search box.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    First, you've asked several times for OAL.
    You will find out, that the ideal COAL will be decided by your boolit and your Rifle...and if you are using PC, that'll add to the formula...So we can't give you a COAL. I believe I used a 0.010" jump to the lands, so I'd have reliable chambering and reliable ejection of a unfired round.

To successfully get a AR to cycle ammo (and be accurate), you need a slower burning powder that can be downloaded. From what I've read, one real good powder is H4895. Hodgdon says you can download it to 60% of their MAX load. It should be said that, IMR4895 is not the same, although they are similar, I don't think Dupont recommends the 60% download thing.

Here are some notes from my initial testing. You will need to do similar testing with your rifle, as it is a different rifle and you will get different results. Once you know what cycles your gun, you can continue with the usual ladder testing to find the most accurate load for your Boolit and your Rifle. You will probably find that the window is quite narrow for good accuracy. Good Luck

More info:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...load-data-help

Want more info, type "AR cast" into google custom search box.
    Thank you for information I think I will try h4895. If I can find any.

Boolit Buddy
    I found the 20 gr load will lock back last round in my rifle.I have not tried any other loads yet as I have to cast more boolits.As far as oal Itry to keep gc in the neck and shorten aol till the rifle feeds the round.I got an MP mold that I will use when I get time to cast again.

Boolit Mold
    [QUOTE=shortlegs;4636900]I found the 20 gr load will lock back last round in my rifle.I have not tried any other loads yet as I have to cast more boolits.As far as oal Itry to keep gc in the neck and shorten aol till the rifle feeds the round.I got an MP mold that I will use when I get time to cast again.[/QUOT
    Thank you for info, but 20 grains of what type of powder?

Boolit Buddy
    H 335 as said in #14.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dowright View Post
    Question: Does anyone out there know of a recipe that is currently being used in reloading AR rounds with THE SOLE PURPOSE OF PLINKING USING AN AR15, NOT BOLT ACTION? This seems to be an elusive question. Lymans “cast” load book specifies the recipes represented are for bolt action. I am loading using cast 55 grain powder coated with gas check. I need recipe that includes type of powder, weight of powder and over all length. I assume all risk and liability, its not like its a secret that 223 rounds are being reloaded. I just ordered 1000 FMJ bullets for reloading, but love the ability of casting my own rounds, and have a wonderful process for powder coating them, but I am beginning to think it may not be beneficial.
    Dowright,
    Can you share or direct me to your powder coating process for .223 boolits that you are happy with? I have experimented a little with cast .223s and conventional lube and not happy with results. I have experience and equipment for PC, just haven’t figured out how to handle those little suckers!

Boolit Buddy
    You might checkout Elvis ammo on utube. Haven't used his method, guess it works for him.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian" Henry Ford

I'm loading a heavier 70 grain bullet also gas checked and PC'd in a 1:7 twist and Varget has been very good. I know of others that load it for the lighter bullets in AR because that is who suggested I check into Varget for my uses in a faster twist Mini-14. Mid 20's or maybe a bit less for grains works well. I'm generally loading a little lighter than factory but then I want my brass to land in the same zip code as it was fired in. I have put up to a couple of grains more than my standard "plinking" load in and it worked well. I'm recalling not looking it up so do your own checking but say around 22.5 up to around 25 grains. I think anyplace in that range performed acceptably, but my testing was awhile ago so....

Look up some Varget loads and give a pound a try. I ended up with an 8# jug after the first pound. Might check out this data from ADI they are the source supplier for much of the stuff sold under other brands here in the US. http://www.adi-powders.com.au/rifle/223-remington Look for AR2208 powder that is sold as Varget here in the US. You can check out the other cross brand equivalents for powders manufactured by ADI here. http://www.adi-powders.com.au/powder-equivalents/ For example AR2208 is sold as Varget, IMR 4064, and AA2250. That equivalents table is darn useful when you can't get one powder and wonder what else might work just as well. Turns out sometimes under the label there is another powder that is essentially the same.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy

These were at 70 yds. RCBS 55 spire GC, HT, .225 sized
    Action did not lock open until 18.4. TAC started burning cleaner at 18. TAC is is next to the 4895s in rate charts
    18” 1:9 wylde barrel
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A8B15375-2DCA-4FA7-9362-57071AC0E98E.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	241143Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D95393C-308B-42F0-BEA5-7FEF61E17C6A.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	241142Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1F36C03C-65E2-4AAE-BB1D-E16437C461D6.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	241144Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AD3D381D-822A-4265-AFF8-ACA68CD4662E.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	241145
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Master

I am a huge fan of H4895 in my AR with cast bullets, the pressure curve seems just about right with carbine gas system. I have not had the time to test them for accuracy yet, but on steel they seem ok. I tend to work from about a 10% reduced load and work right on up into jacketed ranges with powder coated and gas checked bullets. I do gas check before I PC. Right now, I am more focused on 22TCM in a 1911 with cast bullets.

Boolit Mold
    Feed back on loads:
    All speeds indicated, are produced with the same process variables, the only difference is the amount of powder.
    OAL-2.06”
    Primer-Win wsr
    Lee cast 55grain
    Powder coated, after gas check applied
    Crimp, light, factory
    Powder Hodgdon H4895

Speeds are average, and accuracy was not consideration at this point, function is determining factor (lock back, chamber, and cycle)
    16” 1in9 Wilde 8” 1in7
    17.5 grain. 1958. 1491
    18 grain. 1960. 1483
    18.5 grain. 2100. 1442
    Very strange, with shorter AR it seems more difficult to affect a change in velocity, I am using a Caldwell ballistic chronograph. Does distance from chrono make a big difference?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12